Crazy to go from FBI to state prosecutor? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Crazy to go from FBI to state prosecutor?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:34 am

I went to law school to be a prosecutor. I was able to get into FBI via honors program approx three years ago and have enjoyed it. However, I’m fearful that I’ll never become an ausa because I’ve never gained any trial experience. I’m considering leaving FBI now to do a one year fed clerkship out west, then picking up a rural DA position for two years, then applying to AUSA positions in the SW. am I crazy?

Anonymous User

Re: Crazy to go from FBI to state prosecutor?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 pm

I should also note that I understand that my job has the possibility to lead to AUSA spots (given proximity to DC and prestige) but I am weary of becoming an AUSA with no trial/prosecutorial experience. Just don't want to mess up

tlsthrowaway1

New

Post by tlsthrowaway1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Not an expert but I think fed clerkship to biglaw lit is an easier route to AUSA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 pm

The whole purpose is to get trial experience so big law isn’t really conducive to this. I mean I could probably go to doj main Justice then ausa if the goal was simply to get ausa. But my goal is to develop those trials skills you only get as a prosecutor before jumping to ausa. I mean in my job now I never even use the federal rules of evidence for example.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 am

I posted about this in another thread you had posted in, but you can go to a USAO and learn trial skills on the job. I'm not saying it's easy, but you'll have to learn them one way or another, and starting in the USAO means you won't have to unlearn what the feds would consider bad habits/relearn what works in federal court. (Not meant as a knock on state court/state prosecutors; it's just a very different practice.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 pm

I think you're worrying about something that is really not a big deal at all. The USAO will train you, and they're not going to be putting you on the Manafort case when you're wet behind the ears. Honestly, it's hard to screw up most of the cases you'll be working on for your first few years--illegal reentry and firearm cases are not procedurally or legally complicated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Come to Fed Programs. These days our practice is all about discovery and trial.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Come to Fed Programs. These days our practice is all about discovery and trial.
What is fed programs?

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Why don’t you do a rotation as a SAUSA? Those positions are specifically designed to give you trial experience. Also, I think your worries are unfounded since many AUSAs come in without trial experience. You’ll have a much better shot at getting an AUSA position if you remain a current DOJ employee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:41 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Come to Fed Programs. These days our practice is all about discovery and trial.
What is fed programs?
A division in the Civil component of DOJ.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”