Prestige v. opportunity Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Prestige v. opportunity

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 am

For context: HYS, above median, and hoping to do white-collar or appellate work. It looks like my choice will be coming down to a V10's DC office--perhaps the best litigation shop in DC, with one of the best appellate practices in the country--and a V50's non-NY/DC HQ, which is a lit powerhouse in its (and my) home market, and which might present better short- and long-term opportunities. I feel as if I'd regret not taking a swing, at the very least, at the more prestigious option--especially considering that I had thought it impossible to snag. But I'm torn. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Prestige v. opportunity

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:31 pm

What was your CB—> offer for the V 10

I think you should go for that one...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:42 pm

First, how much do you really want to do the type of appellate, regulatory litigation or white collar investigations work that comes through DC, vs the more broad based commericial litigation practice you are likely to get at the other firm? Is it just a matter of what work you view as more prestigious or are there other reasons that are more specific to the work, like desire to go into government?

Second, do you see yourself settling down in your home market? If so, that might counsel in favor of the V50 home market. Most markets are also significantly cheaper than in DC.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 pm

So....is this Munger in LA?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Obviously this is Gibson D.C. vs. MTO LA. I don't think either can really be considered "more prestigious" - both are super prestigious, just slightly different. IMO this should come down to whether OP's more drawn to general litigation vs. specifically appellate work. If the latter, GDC's the obvious answer. If the former, I'd lean toward MTO, unless OP would prefer to settle down in D.C.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:29 pm

QContinuum wrote:Obviously this is Gibson D.C. vs. MTO LA. I don't think either can really be considered "more prestigious" - both are super prestigious, just slightly different. IMO this should come down to whether OP's more drawn to general litigation vs. specifically appellate work. If the latter, GDC's the obvious answer. If the former, I'd lean toward MTO, unless OP would prefer to settle down in D.C.
I think a lot of it comes down to the culture as well. My sense of Gibson DC is that it's more of a boys' club. So even though I'm also HYS and have an appellate clerkship on 2/9/DC, I'd be inclined to take Munger because I'm a minority, first-generation immigrant, and woman, and I didn't particularly like the people I met with there. Their NY office is more women friendly though.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:Obviously this is Gibson D.C. vs. MTO LA. I don't think either can really be considered "more prestigious" - both are super prestigious, just slightly different. IMO this should come down to whether OP's more drawn to general litigation vs. specifically appellate work. If the latter, GDC's the obvious answer. If the former, I'd lean toward MTO, unless OP would prefer to settle down in D.C.
I think a lot of it comes down to the culture as well. My sense of Gibson DC is that it's more of a boys' club. So even though I'm also HYS and have an appellate clerkship on 2/9/DC, I'd be inclined to take Munger because I'm a minority, first-generation immigrant, and woman, and I didn't particularly like the people I met with there. Their NY office is more women friendly though.
Good point - my reading was that OP leans conservative (given his/her interest in Gibson's appellate work) so wouldn't have an issue with the more conservative leaning of Gibson DC. But yes, office culture should certainly be taken into account.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 am

How likely are you to do appellate at any top DC firm without a clerkship? It depends a bit on the firm, but my sense is that it is generally difficult to get much appellate lit at the fancy shops without clerking, since those firms also have so many COA clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:58 am

Why assume you get more opportunity at a less prestigious firm? Prestige = higher profile, more serious and higher margin work. I don't know anything about litigation but on the transactional side, I heard of 3rd year associates at Wachtell and Cravath doing things partners do at lower-ranked firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 am

You need to go to the market you want to be in. I have a lot of friends that chose prestige in New York because they think going to a V10 is like the Majors versus the Minors and now they seem unhappy and are already plotting their exits back to their home markets which may or may not have a spot for them but if you’re doing the same shit it’s the same shit. Where you live has a serious effect on your QoL. So that should be the determining factor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:How likely are you to do appellate at any top DC firm without a clerkship? It depends a bit on the firm, but my sense is that it is generally difficult to get much appellate lit at the fancy shops without clerking, since those firms also have so many COA clerks.
Not same anon but I’m interested in this. Even with a COA clerkship, is it tough to get appellate work at a firm with a leading DC appellate group such as the one OP is considering?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”