Covington DC vs Latham DC? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Covington DC vs Latham DC?

Covington
79%
Latham
21%

Total votes: 39

genetics4lyfe

New

Covington DC vs Latham DC?

Post by genetics4lyfe » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05 am

Interested in doing IP litigation or FDA regulatory work in DC. Loved the people and culture at both places I went to interview. Looking to stay long-term, so if either firm is better about keeping people on that's a plus (acknowledging that staying long-term in biglaw period is susceptible to a wide array of variables). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Covington DC vs Latham DC?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:21 am

These are both really good options but my vote is for Covington, hands down. I'd say that FDA regulatory/life sciences is stronger at Covington (I say this having spoken to the FDA regulatory/life sciences people at both firms, as that's also my area of interest), and IP is about the same at both. Covington is much stronger in DC, of course, whereas Latham has a stronger name nationally, if you're looking to move out of DC after a while.

I don't really know how Covington handled the recession but Latham was awful (you can read up about it, but I"m sure you already know) - they seem to have made some changes but it's something to be cautious about.

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:02 am

Both awesome, but I’ve heard better things about Covington.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

genetics4lyfe

New

Post by genetics4lyfe » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 am

Thanks for the responses! I'll mull it over a few more days, but looks like Covington is the way to go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:34 am

Hello - I am wondering if someone can tell me a bit more about life as an FDA associate with a top DC firm? I know billable expectations are in the 1900-2000 range, but what are associates actually putting in--23,24,2500? I am trying to get a sense of what the day to day looks like.

Also, what do exit options look like from one of these practices? I assume FDA or in house with a life science group is the most common. Ever heard of someone going to DOJ afterwards?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello - I am wondering if someone can tell me a bit more about life as an FDA associate with a top DC firm? I know billable expectations are in the 1900-2000 range, but what are associates actually putting in--23,24,2500? I am trying to get a sense of what the day to day looks like.

Also, what do exit options look like from one of these practices? I assume FDA or in house with a life science group is the most common. Ever heard of someone going to DOJ afterwards?

Thanks.
I’m not in this practice group, but I’m in a similar one and know people in the group. I would say you’re a decent bit more likely to miss your bonus target than hit 2,300. That said, regulatory groups tend to have higher non-billable/client development expectations, and you are less likely to be on the type of matters that require an endless amount of hours, so you’re more likely to feel like you don’t have enough to do, especially early on.

Agree that FDA/in house are most common exits. Think tanks/non-profits in the area, and the relevant congressional committees (there’s a decent amount of lobbyist-adjacent work in at least some of these groups) are also options. I can’t see DOJ unless by being in an FDA group, you mean your handling a bunch of investigations of pharma companies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello - I am wondering if someone can tell me a bit more about life as an FDA associate with a top DC firm? I know billable expectations are in the 1900-2000 range, but what are associates actually putting in--23,24,2500? I am trying to get a sense of what the day to day looks like.

Thanks.
I’m not in this practice group, but I’m in a similar one and know people in the group. I would say you’re a decent bit more likely to miss your bonus target than hit 2,300. That said, regulatory groups tend to have higher non-billable/client development expectations, and you are less likely to be on the type of matters that require an endless amount of hours, so you’re more likely to feel like you don’t have enough to do, especially early on.

Agree that FDA/in house are most common exits. Think tanks/non-profits in the area, and the relevant congressional committees (there’s a decent amount of lobbyist-adjacent work in at least some of these groups) are also options. I can’t see DOJ unless by being in an FDA group, you mean your handling a bunch of investigations of pharma companies.
I think you underestimate how much the DOJ investigates pharma companies. Top reg shops in DC (Covington, Sidley, Hogan etc.) generally do both regulatory compliance and regulatory enforcement work. Attorneys in the FDA's Office of Chief Counsel regularly go on loan as special AUSAs and to the DOJ to help with these matters. I could see mutliple branches in the DOJ that one would have a leg up after leaving a firm doing regulatory enforcement most likely consumer protection.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Covington's offices are right by dope shopping and restaurants and the Verizon Center (Caps games). Then you can buy one of those sick million dollar plus condos in their building when you make partner.

DOJapplicant

New

Post by DOJapplicant » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:57 am

Great, helpful responses. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks.

I think you underestimate how much the DOJ investigates pharma companies. Top reg shops in DC (Covington, Sidley, Hogan etc.) generally do both regulatory compliance and regulatory enforcement work. Attorneys in the FDA's Office of Chief Counsel regularly go on loan as special AUSAs and to the DOJ to help with these matters. I could see mutliple branches in the DOJ that one would have a leg up after leaving a firm doing regulatory enforcement most likely consumer protection.
Fair enough. I think this covered by my “unless” clause, but I don’t dispute at all that DOJ does tons of pharma investigations. But, I work at one of the firms you listed, and IME DOJ pharma investigations are handled by the white collar associates, not by Food and Drug associates. I know that isn’t quite what you’re saying, but that points to why it strikes me as unlikely to go from Food and Drug to DOJ, where they are generally looking for both litigation experience (which the FDA associate likely won’t have unless they do pro bono) and investigation experience. That said, there are tons of DOJ branches, as you suggest, and maybe this experience would be attractive to some of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”