District Attorney's Office 2019 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
pamplemousse9

New

Re: District Attorney's Office 2019

Post by pamplemousse9 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:57 pm

Interviewed with Brooklyn in late October, had 2nd and 3rd round interview on the same day in late November. Offered same day, accepted a few weeks later.

Does anyone know when we actually start yet?? Or what the background check process is??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:31 pm

quick question: Was arrested 2 1/2 years ago for misdemeanor assault (highest misdemeanor), charges dismissed (no conviction) after completing diverseionary program (probation, fine, C/S/)? I really want to be a DA! Please, help! Applications ask for all arrests, whether convictions or not. I have disclosed... will just arrests that don't resolve in convictions still hurt!? I am freaking out! Since this was a fairly recent arrest and occurred in the summer of law school, should I be worried? I am a licensed attorney and had no C/F issues due to this, even after disclosing to bar! Really hoping to work as a DA, as I am really passionate about the mission of my nearby counties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:quick question: Was arrested 2 1/2 years ago for misdemeanor assault (highest misdemeanor), charges dismissed (no conviction) after completing diverseionary program (probation, fine, C/S/)? I really want to be a DA! Please, help! Applications ask for all arrests, whether convictions or not. I have disclosed... will just arrests that don't resolve in convictions still hurt!? I am freaking out! Since this was a fairly recent arrest and occurred in the summer of law school, should I be worried? I am a licensed attorney and had no C/F issues due to this, even after disclosing to bar! Really hoping to work as a DA, as I am really passionate about the mission of my nearby counties.
I don't know if anyone is going to be able to answer this question for you. It's probably a good sign that it wasn't an issue for C&F, but it's probably going to depend more on the particular office you're trying to work for more than just the job of ADA. The best thing you can do is probably just apply and see what happens. If you don't get an offer, this might be why. I don't think you're going to get a more satisfying answer than that because I'm positive that across the US you'd find some offices where that's an absolute dealbreaker (Thinking DANY, Brooklyn, Cook County, etc.) but other offices that might not care.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks for your answer. I am applying to the Texas market in the top Texas legal markets, think Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and the small counties surrounding these areas. If anyone has any specifics on these, please feel free to answer. I agree with your answer though as it is a general consensus for such positions, depending on the office and what not. I’ve definitely learned my lesson and regret this thing ever happened. I really want to be a D.A., but I understand because of this incident 2 1/2 years ago, my options will be limited. Thanks again!

I have also looked into getting a order of non-disclosure on this matter, not sure how much that will help when dealing with such government entities in the first place. I have a few months remaining before I qualify for the order.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Had a DANY third round a few weeks ago. It was surprisingly collegial - the interviewers were very friendly and did not push me too hard on anything. Any thoughts from anyone? I'm confused by how nice they were, especially when i went in expecting the worst...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

noni123

New

Post by noni123 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Had a third round DANY a few weeks ago. It was surprisingly collegial - the interviewers were really nice and didn't push me too hard on anything. I'm somewhat confused by how nice they were, especially when I went in any expecting the worst. Anyone have any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:26 pm

noni123 wrote:Had a third round DANY a few weeks ago. It was surprisingly collegial - the interviewers were really nice and didn't push me too hard on anything. I'm somewhat confused by how nice they were, especially when I went in any expecting the worst. Anyone have any thoughts?
Honestly, there's no way to read those interviews. You just have to wait. You'll either get the call to meet DA Vance or you won't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Any updates from Cook County SAO?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates from Cook County SAO?
I’ve emailed but no answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Doing the Lord's work. I read online that they don't want people to email them. Let us know if you hear anything!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Doing the Lord's work. I read online that they don't want people to email them. Let us know if you hear anything!
I don’t believe that’s correct, but they do say on the website that they don’t want people to call. They just told me they hope to have notices sent out over the next couple of months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Can anyone give me an overview of Miami-Dade’s process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I don’t believe that’s correct, but they do say on the website that they don’t want people to call. They just told me they hope to have notices sent out over the next couple of months.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( "next couple of months" :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Does anyone know how/how long it takes to be contacted with an offer or a rejection? Had my final interview with Suffolk NY last week and was told at the interview I'd be contacted as soon as possible. I assume a rejection is just snail mail, anyone know whether it's a call, email, or snail mail for an offer?

Also does anyone know how many people they're hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:29 pm

I have been wondering the same myself! I am also starting with Brooklyn this Fall, and still haven't heard about a start date. Just curious, do you know if there is a fb group for the incoming 2019 class? I have heard that previous classes have tried connecting via fb prior to the start date.

pamplemousse9 wrote:Interviewed with Brooklyn in late October, had 2nd and 3rd round interview on the same day in late November. Offered same day, accepted a few weeks later.

Does anyone know when we actually start yet?? Or what the background check process is??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Has anyone interviewed with Miami-Dade or Broward or could tell me anything about their timelines?

goji11

New

Post by goji11 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 pm

I'm also starting with Brooklyn in the fall. I haven't heard anything since getting my acceptance letter in December. If there's a Facebook group, I'd love to be part of it.

Anonymous User wrote:I have been wondering the same myself! I am also starting with Brooklyn this Fall, and still haven't heard about a start date. Just curious, do you know if there is a fb group for the incoming 2019 class? I have heard that previous classes have tried connecting via fb prior to the start date.

pamplemousse9 wrote:Interviewed with Brooklyn in late October, had 2nd and 3rd round interview on the same day in late November. Offered same day, accepted a few weeks later.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ModalPenalCode

New

Post by ModalPenalCode » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:54 am

Any other Philly admits here?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone interviewed with Miami-Dade or Broward or could tell me anything about their timelines?
Former Miami ASA here. Process varies person to person. Out-of-state applicants usually have all 3 rounds on the same day, provided each interviewer passes you on. First round is a panel of 2-3 attorneys with hypos. Second round is with a chief assistant (one of 4 “second-in-commands”). The final round is with the state attorney herself. My understanding is that local applicants usually don’t have all rounds on the same day. The state attorney offered me on-the-spot during my final round. Many of my former colleagues had to wait a few weeks (some more than 6 weeks I think) for an offer. It sort of depends on how your interview goes. I was an out-of-state applicant at a top 20 school. I applied early fall and interviewed in mid-November. I had an offer before Thanksgiving. Many Florida school candidates had to wait until March, April, or even as late as May before receiving an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone interviewed with Miami-Dade or Broward or could tell me anything about their timelines?
Former Miami ASA here. Process varies person to person. Out-of-state applicants usually have all 3 rounds on the same day, provided each interviewer passes you on. First round is a panel of 2-3 attorneys with hypos. Second round is with a chief assistant (one of 4 “second-in-commands”). The final round is with the state attorney herself. My understanding is that local applicants usually don’t have all rounds on the same day. The state attorney offered me on-the-spot during my final round. Many of my former colleagues had to wait a few weeks (some more than 6 weeks I think) for an offer. It sort of depends on how your interview goes. I was an out-of-state applicant at a top 20 school. I applied early fall and interviewed in mid-November. I had an offer before Thanksgiving. Many Florida school candidates had to wait until March, April, or even as late as May before receiving an offer.
Thank you very much for this!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Anyone hear from Cook County yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Cook County yet?
radio silence

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
radio silence
Same. So frustrating.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
radio silence
Same. So frustrating.
Nothing on my end.

pamplemousse9

New

Post by pamplemousse9 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:41 pm

goji11 wrote:I'm also starting with Brooklyn in the fall. I haven't heard anything since getting my acceptance letter in December. If there's a Facebook group, I'd love to be part of it.

Anonymous User wrote:I have been wondering the same myself! I am also starting with Brooklyn this Fall, and still haven't heard about a start date. Just curious, do you know if there is a fb group for the incoming 2019 class? I have heard that previous classes have tried connecting via fb prior to the start date.

I haven't seen a facebook group...I'm just getting kind of nervous because I have no idea when I'm moving! Is anyone else transferring in their UBE score?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”