District Attorney's Office 2019 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney's Office 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who have offers at Brooklyn, how many interviews did you have? I have had my screener and panel and will be going back for the exec interview next week. Are there other interviews after that? Did you get an offer in the room?
There's 4. I know of someone who got an offer in the room but had another offer pending

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Any current or former ADAs who can tell me about their experiences? What is each office like? Is one better than the other? I know technically Manhattan is the most "prestigious" but how do the other offices get viewed? I am trying to decide whether to accept an offer.

anon3971

New

Post by anon3971 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Does anyone know the starting salary at Brooklyn?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:24 pm

anon3971 wrote:Does anyone know the starting salary at Brooklyn?

All 5 DA offices should got a budget increase from the NYC city council to increase the salaries for newer ADAs. I don't know how it worked out in practice, but the idea was to bring them on par with the Corp Counsel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Any suggestions for the Brooklyn executive round? Was it mostly screener questions or hypos? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:03 pm

encore1101 wrote:

All 5 DA offices should got a budget increase from the NYC city council to increase the salaries for newer ADAs. I don't know how it worked out in practice, but the idea was to bring them on par with the Corp Counsel.
Manhattan went up to 69K with a $500 increase when you pass the bar.

MartyFunkhouse

New

Post by MartyFunkhouse » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions for the Brooklyn executive round? Was it mostly screener questions or hypos? Thanks!
I had about 25-35 minutes of hypos in my Exec round with about 10-15 mins of screeners. I was surprised at how many hypos I had so be prepared for anything.

Also, I heard Brooklyn went up to $69k. Nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:

Manhattan went up to 69K with a $500 increase when you pass the bar.
How is this going to affect those just starting - the class of 2018?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions for the Brooklyn executive round? Was it mostly screener questions or hypos? Thanks!
Almost entirely screener questions about a prosecutor's role in the (changing) criminal justice system. Make sure to have their policy initiatives down. There were a couple pretty simple hypos in the exec round. In my two panels at Brooklyn, I think my hypos were mostly easy ethical questions, i.e., what would you do if an officer basically revealed that he stopped someone without legal justification but they turned out to have a gun connected to a homicide. But I know other people got real crim pro questions.

Can confirm that Brooklyn and Manhattan are moving to $69k btw. Both offices told me during the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:28 pm

As I previously noted, the NYC City Council increased the budgets for the Five DA offices to bring their salaries to parity with the Law Dept and other city agencies.

FWIW, it looks like the DAs offices are still seeking more pay for their entry level classes: https://queenseagle.com/all/2018/10/26/ ... pay-parity

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Almost entirely screener questions about a prosecutor's role in the (changing) criminal justice system. Make sure to have their policy initiatives down. There were a couple pretty simple hypos in the exec round. In my two panels at Brooklyn, I think my hypos were mostly easy ethical questions, i.e., what would you do if an officer basically revealed that he stopped someone without legal justification but they turned out to have a gun connected to a homicide. But I know other people got real crim pro questions.

Can confirm that Brooklyn and Manhattan are moving to $69k btw. Both offices told me during the process.
encore1101 wrote:As I previously noted, the NYC City Council increased the budgets for the Five DA offices to bring their salaries to parity with the Law Dept and other city agencies.

FWIW, it looks like the DAs offices are still seeking more pay for their entry level classes: https://queenseagle.com/all/2018/10/26/ ... pay-parity
Yeah, honestly I think all the offices are moving to the same pay. I know Bronx is also $69 (upon bar passage).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:42 pm

Interviewed at SF DA's office this past week. Fairly tough interview. Panel of 3 with a fact pattern.

anon3971

New

Post by anon3971 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Choosing Bronx v. Brooklyn and why- please help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:13 pm

For anyone who's already received word regarding a final round with Manhattan, do you think pending offers or advancement to next round by other offices played a role in getting the final interview with Manhattan? For my second round, I felt that Manhattan only moved the ball forward when I told them I had call backs from other offices. I am still waiting to hear back from other offices regarding a third round, which means not a peep from Manhattan.

Also, anyone waiving into NY with your UBE score? Has Manhattan or other offices told you whether they want to wait until you've completed/begun the process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who's already received word regarding a final round with Manhattan, do you think pending offers or advancement to next round by other offices played a role in getting the final interview with Manhattan? For my second round, I felt that Manhattan only moved the ball forward when I told them I had call backs from other offices. I am still waiting to hear back from other offices regarding a third round, which means not a peep from Manhattan.

Also, anyone waiving into NY with your UBE score? Has Manhattan or other offices told you whether they want to wait until you've completed/begun the process?
I do think pending offers played a role with Manhattan. They get a ton of applications and have a big pool from around the country so unless they have a good reason to move on you in a hurry, I think it could be a while since it's still somewhat early in the process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:34 am

anon3971 wrote:Choosing Bronx v. Brooklyn and why- please help.
I don't have an opinion on which is better, but here are just some facts to consider:

Bronx:
- Completely vertical prosecution
-You're likely to move up to felonies faster
-It's the Bronx, ya might see more

Brooklyn:
- Community-based prosecution (idk if this is bad or good? like not even really sure what that means tbh was just told to mention it in an interview)
-Safer area to work in
-People sometimes rank Brooklyn right under Manhattan

Idk in the end, you'll be an ADA in both offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Any movement in Miami?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Who the hell is being hired at Philly? Are you basically dinged if you have prosecution experience on your resume?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who the hell is being hired at Philly? Are you basically dinged if you have prosecution experience on your resume?
THANK YOU. It's literally the only office that didn't even give me an interview. Really stung as that was far and away my top choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:28 pm

I had an OCI interview with Philly and was told I’d hear back by the end of October and I could reach out to the office on Nov 1st. I reached out and never heard back, but Krasner seemed almost disappointed when he saw all my DA experience and told him I was only applying at prosecutors offices. Pretty disappointing, I would’ve loved to work for him. His talk at my school made it clear that his goal was to recruit the students who would’ve gone into public defense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement in Miami?
Got a letter last week offering a screener interview w/ a panel in Miami

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Can anyone please provide some information regarding the 3rd (executive) round with Brooklyn (freaking out a little)? How many interviewers were there? Did you find it difficult? Was it mostly a hypo based interview? Thank you!

MrJoeSchmoe

New

Post by MrJoeSchmoe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Have any of you heard back from Santa Clara County by any chance? They interviewed 50 people for "a few spots" about a month ago, and I'd love some closure.

anon347

New

Post by anon347 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear of any offers going out for Suffolk NY? I know they were making decision soon.
Any news on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Hey everyone,

I am law clerk for a federal district judge in the second year of my two year clerkship. I graduated from a T6 with fine grades and a ton of prosecutorial experience (for example, I worked for Brooklyn DA over 2L summer and DANY during Spring of 3L, and am still in touch with supervisors from both offices). I had my first round interview with DANY in early Aug (which I thought went well enough), but I have not heard back since.

I'm starting to get anxious that so much time has gone by without DANY offering me a second round interview, do you think I should give up hope? If there's still hope, do you think there's anything I can do at this point?

Also, I recently had my second round with Bronx DA, which I informed DANY about but still have heard no word. Could really use some advice, thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”