District Attorney's Office 2019 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney's Office 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 pm

any moves on philly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Philly reached out to me a couple weeks ago offering a second interview after months of silence since OCI in late July. I already accepted another offer, but it's insane how slow they've moved.

As for everyone asking about placing pressure on DANY with other offers, it works. Whenever you move forward in the interview process at another office, tell DANY. If you're reading this in the future and you're at the beginning of the hiring cycle, apply to Bronx for the sole reason that they move fast and use their speed as leverage to get DANY to move forward with your application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Wondering if anyone has heard from Cook County SAO? My classmates and I interviewed in late September and no one has heard anything? Website says sometime in November they will notify for final round of interviews.

I assume we’ve been dinged but just want to hear if anyone else heard anything!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering if anyone has heard from Cook County SAO? My classmates and I interviewed in late September and no one has heard anything? Website says sometime in November they will notify for final round of interviews.

I wouldn't assume that yet. I interviewed over Skype on Oct. 25 and they told me they would notify everyone about decisions for the second/final round "within about a month." Hopefully we'll hear back this week.

Stre$$ed3L

New

Post by Stre$$ed3L » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wondering if anyone has heard from Cook County SAO? My classmates and I interviewed in late September and no one has heard anything? Website says sometime in November they will notify for final round of interviews.

I wouldn't assume that yet. I interviewed over Skype on Oct. 25 and they told me they would notify everyone about decisions for the second/final round "within about a month." Hopefully we'll hear back this week.
Agreed, I also had a Skype interview on 10/25 and was told I'd hear back in exactly one month, and that second round interviews were going to take place over winter break.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:14 pm

I have a first-round interview with Contra Costa County DA's Office this upcoming Tuesday. From what I've been told, I'll have 30 minutes to read through a hypothetical, present a 10-12 minute opening statement to the hiring panel, and then have a normal 20 minute interview.

Does anyone have a collection of links (to crim law hypotheticals) or any information about CCC DA's Office that might be helpful?

Thanks!

Trustbuster

Bronze

Post by Trustbuster » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a first-round interview with Contra Costa County DA's Office this upcoming Tuesday. From what I've been told, I'll have 30 minutes to read through a hypothetical, present a 10-12 minute opening statement to the hiring panel, and then have a normal 20 minute interview.

Does anyone have a collection of links (to crim law hypotheticals) or any information about CCC DA's Office that might be helpful?

Thanks!
I worked at CoCo DA. PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:15 pm

Has anyone gotten a final offer from Brooklyn yet? If so, when?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Philly reached out to me a couple weeks ago offering a second interview after months of silence since OCI in late July. I already accepted another offer, but it's insane how slow they've moved.

As for everyone asking about placing pressure on DANY with other offers, it works. Whenever you move forward in the interview process at another office, tell DANY. If you're reading this in the future and you're at the beginning of the hiring cycle, apply to Bronx for the sole reason that they move fast and use their speed as leverage to get DANY to move forward with your application.

I'd warn against applying to the Bronx to make DANY speed up unless you actually want to work there. DANY is still really slow, even with competitive applicants who have pending offers. If you have an offer from the Bronx and DANY isn't going to give you an answer, it's going to be stressful rejecting your Bronx offer because an offer from DANY is never guaranteed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:32 pm

What are people's thoughts on Bronx vs. Brooklyn?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Philly reached out to me a couple weeks ago offering a second interview after months of silence since OCI in late July. I already accepted another offer, but it's insane how slow they've moved.

I'd warn against applying to the Bronx to make DANY speed up unless you actually want to work there. DANY is still really slow, even with competitive applicants who have pending offers. If you have an offer from the Bronx and DANY isn't going to give you an answer, it's going to be stressful rejecting your Bronx offer because an offer from DANY is never guaranteed.
That seems like good advice, I'll just say that for myself and at least two other people I know who were hired this year, DANY moved very quickly when they found out we had other offers.

I had less than 30 days between my first interview and my offer and I attribute that entirely to my other offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Hey everyone! I have an upcoming 1st round interview with the Manhattan DA's office and was wondering if anyone have any good tips or explain the interview process.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone! I have an upcoming 1st round interview with the Manhattan DA's office and was wondering if anyone have any good tips or explain the interview process.
First is just a screener with an ADA so be prepared to talk about your interest in being an ADA, your resume, your classes, etc. Basic interview stuff.

There are three interviews after that one.
2 and 3 are panels, 4 is with DA Vance and is when you get an offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That seems like good advice, I'll just say that for myself and at least two other people I know who were hired this year, DANY moved very quickly when they found out we had other offers.

I had less than 30 days between my first interview and my offer and I attribute that entirely to my other offers.

It can definitely help speed things up! But not always. There are a ton of ADAs at the Bronx now who are former DANY interns, who would likely have eventually gotten hired by DANY but DANY's couldn't get back to them quick enough.

All to say, if your goal is to be a prosecutor in NYC, it doesn't matter what office you're at! But if you feel "all or nothing" about DANY, it's a dangerous strategy.

I just made it very clear in my interviews at DANY that it was my dream job, and without any pending offers at other offices they took me from first to fourth round in 2 weeks.

Stre$$ed3L

New

Post by Stre$$ed3L » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:38 pm

benwyatt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone! I have an upcoming 1st round interview with the Manhattan DA's office and was wondering if anyone have any good tips or explain the interview process.
First is just a screener with an ADA so be prepared to talk about your interest in being an ADA, your resume, your classes, etc. Basic interview stuff.

There are three interviews after that one.
2 and 3 are panels, 4 is with DA Vance and is when you get an offer.
Just to add some more info...my first round interview with Manhattan included several hypotheticals, mostly ethical questions (i.e. what would you do differently with one defendant v. another).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:10 pm

I just received an email asking me to come for a finalist interview with Cook County.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just received an email asking me to come for a finalist interview with Cook County.
I got the email for the finalist interview with Cook County as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sunbun28

New

Post by sunbun28 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:14 pm

I feel like I’m losing my mind. I had my final (3rd round) panel interview with DA Clark on November 19th. They said I’d probably hear back within a couple days because DA Clark usually makes decisions quickly. Two weeks later, I emailed to check in, but legal recruitment said I hadn’t missed anything and that they would be in touch. I figured it was somewhat delayed due to Thanksgiving/holidays.

I’m worried that this is a bad sign, but I also just don’t know what to make of it. Why not just cut me loose if I am out of the running?

Has anyone else who applied to the Bronx around the October deadline heard back about their status yet? Or does any current ADA have insight?

Thanks for any/all replies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:33 pm

sunbun28 wrote:I feel like I’m losing my mind. I had my final (3rd round) panel interview with DA Clark on November 19th. They said I’d probably hear back within a couple days because DA Clark usually makes decisions quickly. Two weeks later, I emailed to check in, but legal recruitment said I hadn’t missed anything and that they would be in touch. I figured it was somewhat delayed due to Thanksgiving/holidays.

I’m worried that this is a bad sign, but I also just don’t know what to make of it. Why not just cut me loose if I am out of the running?

Has anyone else who applied to the Bronx around the October deadline heard back about their status yet? Or does any current ADA have insight?

I don't want to freak you out, but I got an offer while I was in the room with DA Clark.

sunbun28

New

Post by sunbun28 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sunbun28 wrote:I feel like I’m losing my mind. I had my final (3rd round) panel interview with DA Clark on November 19th. They said I’d probably hear back within a couple days because DA Clark usually makes decisions quickly. Two weeks later, I emailed to check in, but legal recruitment said I hadn’t missed anything and that they would be in touch. I figured it was somewhat delayed due to Thanksgiving/holidays.

I don't want to freak you out, but I got an offer while I was in the room with DA Clark.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No, that’s okay - any information is good. I understand that some people will get offers on the spot, and that’s fine. But if you don’t mind me asking, could you provide a little background? What experience you had, if you’re from the area, law school ranking generally?

Thanks again!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, that’s okay - any information is good. I understand that some people will get offers on the spot, and that’s fine. But if you don’t mind me asking, could you provide a little background? What experience you had, if you’re from the area, law school ranking generally?

Thanks again!
I don't mind but-- I'm from the NYC area and went to a tier 2 school. Honestly, I didn't have a ton of DA experience (didn't have any internships with a DA up until right now as a 3L) But (trying to keep it sort of vague) the experience that I did have focused on criminal law. I think what got me through was my clear and demonstrated interest in being a prosecutor, having a good answer for why the Bronx, and always being able to back up my answers/not wavering on hypos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just received an email asking me to come for a finalist interview with Cook County.
I did as well. Still waiting for a date/time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I did as well. Still waiting for a date/time.

Same here! Got my time and date all sorted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Does anyone know how far in the hiring process DANY is? How many interns have been hired???

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”