Fed Gov or In-House? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
worklifewhat

New

Re: Fed Gov or In-House?

Post by worklifewhat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 am

lapolicia wrote:
worklifewhat wrote:
lapolicia wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lessperfect wrote:
worklifewhat wrote:
lapolicia wrote:I might be biased, but I think the best option is doing fed gov at a non-GS agency. You make around the same as an in-house lawyer, maybe a little bit less, but have benefits even beyond the already generous standard federal benefits.
Which agencies are non-GS?

The financial regulatory agencies are generally non-GS (e.g., FDIC, SEC, OCC, CFPB, FRB,)
What benefits do these agencies offer beyond standard benefits? I’m at a non-GS agency and our benefits mirror other title 5 agencies.
At my non-GS agency we get a supplemental 3% TSP match (in addition to the standard 5%), free vision and dental, and an additional contribution to our health insurance beyond the regular federal one.
What was your path to landing your position? What region are you in? Was it the only fed job you applied for? Any regrets?
I'm somewhat unique in that I did the federal government immediately out of law school through an honors program at a financial regulatory agency that was on the GS scale. After about 3 years there, I wanted to move back to my home region (West Coast) and applied to law firm and in-house positions. On a whim, I also applied to one job at a federal financial regulator not on the GS pay scale through USAJOBS even though I thought I had no chance. Amazingly, I got an interview almost immediately and got the job soon after. No regrets here--I get paid around 200k (plus fantastic benefits) while working mostly 9-6 and having a very interesting job. The only downside is that there are few promotional opportunities outside of DC, so unless I get extremely lucky I will have to go in-house (or to a law firm if I can come in at a high enough level) eventually since I don't want to be a line attorney forever and have no desire to move back to DC.
What do you mean by "line attorney?" And was your first federal job not something that would have made you competitive for what you do now? I need to start taking more chances with where I apply.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Different anon, but “line attorney” = not a supervisor. Most fed agencies are fairly flat hierarchically - you are either a line attorney, meaning you do ordinary attorney work, or you are a supervisor and you supervise (and maybe handle some ordinary attorney work depending on caseload).

The nice thing about this is it avoids some of the hierarchical bullshit you see in firms. The downside is that there isn’t always a lot of room for advancement because your office may not need a lot of supervisors.
Last edited by QContinuum on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there any opportunities for a general corporate (not litigation) attorney in Fed Govt? Or are they pretty much looking for litigators only?
Also interested in this.

As a 3rd year corp/M&A associate, I don't know of any corporate attorneys who have switched to BigFed, but I'd imagine it should be possible to retool. I think the dearth of corporates making the switch is because BigFed simply pays considerably less than in-house gigs many corporate mid-levels can get. Here in TX, it's not rare for ~3rd/4th years at V50s getting $200K+ (all-in) offers to go in-house at O&G companies, 8-to-5:30 with every other Friday off. I got a 160k all-in offer as a lowly 2nd year at V100. Nevertheless, the job security and other benefits of BigFed are very attractive (so long as I'm not Trumpfucking refugees lol). Plus it seems that in BigFed you can check out and "cruise" more (is this true?), whereas in-house gigs, despite perceived benefits, can be highly variable in terms of stress and hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there any opportunities for a general corporate (not litigation) attorney in Fed Govt? Or are they pretty much looking for litigators only?
Also interested in this.

As a 3rd year corp/M&A associate, I don't know of any corporate attorneys who have switched to BigFed, but I'd imagine it should be possible to retool. I think the dearth of corporates making the switch is because BigFed simply pays considerably less than in-house gigs many corporate mid-levels can get. Here in TX, it's not rare for ~3rd/4th years at V50s getting $200K+ (all-in) offers to go in-house at O&G companies, 8-to-5:30 with every other Friday off. I got a 160k all-in offer as a lowly 2nd year at V100. Nevertheless, the job security and other benefits of BigFed are very attractive (so long as I'm not Trumpfucking refugees lol). Plus it seems that in BigFed you can check out and "cruise" more (is this true?), whereas in-house gigs, despite perceived benefits, can be highly variable in terms of stress and hours.
And this is why I am so pissed I didn't do corporate. I feel like you have so few options as a litigator to make biglaw money. If only I could turn back the clock and do it all again (or not do it all again and go to grad school to do something that doesn't have me searching for a way out like a caged animal).

Ah15e

New

Post by Ah15e » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:14 pm

At least at my agency we do little to no litigation. We just coordinate with DOJ on things as they arise, DOJ handles most litigation for us. If its a regulatory agency, you'll do that - regulate/help the regulators. So it depends! Feds have tons of opportunities for different specialities, and different types of attorneys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”