Houston OCI, Callbacks, Offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Houston OCI, Callbacks, Offers

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:48 pm

How are y'all doing in Houston??
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Houston OCI, Callbacks, Offers

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:58 pm

KE offer pre-OCI. LW/VE CBs lined up next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:21 am

10 total CBs so far. One of which was a pre-OCI CB. LW and KE coming up for me as well. No offers yet.

Genuinely unsure of what type of firm I want to be at. Decision will become easier based on offers received, I'm sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:25 am

VE and STB callbacks this week...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:10 total CBs so far. One of which was a pre-OCI CB. LW and KE coming up for me as well. No offers yet.

Genuinely unsure of what type of firm I want to be at. Decision will become easier based on offers received, I'm sure.
That's a ton of CBs. Can I ask grades/school? I can't even name 10 firms in Houston.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jurysout

New

Post by jurysout » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:31 am

Pre-recruit w/ K&E and Orrick. K&E offer. Orrick is waiting to send out offers when they do callbacks next week. Have heard back from the majority of firms I interviewed with during OCI. Most calls/emails were the same day as my OCI or the next morning.
Last edited by jurysout on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:10 total CBs so far. One of which was a pre-OCI CB. LW and KE coming up for me as well. No offers yet.

That's a ton of CBs. Can I ask grades/school? I can't even name 10 firms in Houston.
Stellar grades from 30-70ish law school. Exclusively targeting Houston

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:51 am

Anyone have their ear to the street? Any gossip on Houston offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 am

The Dallas thread had a sort of general rundown of the bands or tiers of the Dallas firms, I'd love that for Houston if anyone is willing or just insight about the various Houston offices.

I have somewhere around 13 Houston CBs--Latham and Kirkland coming up next week, Morgan Lewis, Akin Gump, Bracewell, and some of the newer out of town firms that have set up shop. Have any of y'all gotten dings from anyone?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:58 am

I've read a little bit using the search function, but would appreciate thoughts and experiences with Skadden and Simpson Thacher's Houston offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Dallas thread had a sort of general rundown of the bands or tiers of the Dallas firms, I'd love that for Houston if anyone is willing or just insight about the various Houston offices.

I have somewhere around 13 Houston CBs--Latham and Kirkland coming up next week, Morgan Lewis, Akin Gump, Bracewell, and some of the newer out of town firms that have set up shop. Have any of y'all gotten dings from anyone?

You can find the bands on Chambers for Texas as a whole, divided by practice group: https://www.chambersandpartners.com/guide/usa/5/13235/1
Not sure where the Houston-specific info is, though.

Ding'd by Orrick post-OCI...but the rest are in the mail probably.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've read a little bit using the search function, but would appreciate thoughts and experiences with Skadden and Simpson Thacher's Houston offices.
Both are pretty much true satellite offices that aren't making partners and have no real growth. Would definitely take any of the big national names with more established offices (KE/Sidley/LW) or certain big Texas firms (VE/BB) over them. Have also heard some nasty things about STB-Houston's culture, but prefer not to elaborate. If you have the grades for those, I would choose KE or VE (which depends on how much you want to work with PE clients, which has its own pros and cons).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Dallas thread had a sort of general rundown of the bands or tiers of the Dallas firms, I'd love that for Houston if anyone is willing or just insight about the various Houston offices.

Here's a quick rundown for transactional-only in no particular order within tiers. Note that some of this is influenced by growth/perception of where the office is going (which is relevant to any incoming summer) as much as pure reputation with clients. I may also be forgetting some firms. Note that the gap between tier 1 and tier 2 is substantial.

Tier 1: KE, VE, Sidley, LW and maybe BB (trending down)

Tier 2: Maybe BB, maybe Sherman (uncertainty as to where it will end up), maybe GD (uncertainty as to where it will end up)

Tier 3: maybe Sherman, maybe GD, Akin, JD (has a reputation for being a weird place), maybe AK (trending down), STB (name prestige) and Skadden (name prestige)

Tier 4: maybe AK, Bracewell, JW, TK, MB, LL, maybe Porter Hedges (sort of in a different game).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've read a little bit using the search function, but would appreciate thoughts and experiences with Skadden and Simpson Thacher's Houston offices.
Both are pretty much true satellite offices that aren't making partners and have no real growth. Would definitely take any of the big national names with more established offices (KE/Sidley/LW) or certain big Texas firms (VE/BB) over them. Have also heard some nasty things about STB-Houston's culture, but prefer not to elaborate. If you have the grades for those, I would choose KE or VE (which depends on how much you want to work with PE clients, which has its own pros and cons).

I've got callbacks with those as well and think that if I do end up with a VE/KE offer, I'd take prolly it over the others. Disappointed about potential shitty culture because I really loved/connected with the STB-Houston people that I met—although of course I know that it isn't the assholes that'll get sent to OCI and receptions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Pre-OCI offer at KE as well. Have already done a callback at VE as well. I really like KE. Also, anyone have any insight into Willkie Farr?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What are the pros and cons of PE work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Willkie Farr is a complete non-player in Houston. There are much better options out there...definitely not in the same ballpark as VE/KE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Thoughts/updates on Locke Lord? I was almost certainly going to go back to where I was this past summer, but absolutely loved my OCI interview and their event. Random game changer I was not expecting. Haven't heard anything back from them though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:21 pm

What about Winston & Strawn for lit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I've got callbacks with those as well and think that if I do end up with a VE/KE offer, I'd take prolly it over the others. Disappointed about potential shitty culture because I really loved/connected with the STB-Houston people that I met—although of course I know that it isn't the assholes that'll get sent to OCI and receptions.
I also (two years ago) did a callback at STB and have a friend in that office, and what I think it happening here is that there is some bad blood between STB and KE (Managing partner at KE came from that Houston office) and that some of the deals both have been on together have been acrimonious. That I have heard confirmed from people on both sides. I'm assuming that the person who posted that is KE. It seems particularly unfair to throw a bad culture bomb and then pointedly not elaborate, but people have done that to KE on this board so it's not like there is moral high ground for anyone here.

I guess I'll defend the Skadden and STB offices, which I'm betting will apply to GD when they get their feet on the ground. These are enormously profitable offices in terms of profit per lawyer, so clearly at these places there is work and hours to be billed at these places on big deals. My understanding is that both are growing, but who knows, definitely ask if you interview. The KE explosion in Houston is kind of the anomaly and not the rule for law firm growth, so it's not irrational. Neither is particularly leveraged so you're going to get facetime with partners on small deal teams. If you like a smaller office, and really like the fit, it's not completely irrational to pick one of them over BB or KE or VE. Associates aren't equity and the vast majority never will be - gross revenue is pretty irrelevant for most associates provided they are getting enough work to stay employed. Hopefully someone from one of these offices can chime in and defend their own honor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Pre-OCI with VE and Orrick. 4 CBs next week including Gibson Dunn, plus a post-OCI screener with KE (did not do OCI with them). Then two V5 in NY.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Here's a quick rundown for transactional-only in no particular order within tiers. Note that some of this is influenced by growth/perception of where the office is going (which is relevant to any incoming summer) as much as pure reputation with clients. I may also be forgetting some firms. Note that the gap between tier 1 and tier 2 is substantial.

Tier 1: KE, VE, Sidley, LW and maybe BB (trending down)

Tier 2: Maybe BB, maybe Sherman (uncertainty as to where it will end up), maybe GD (uncertainty as to where it will end up)

Tier 3: maybe Sherman, maybe GD, Akin, JD (has a reputation for being a weird place), maybe AK (trending down), STB (name prestige) and Skadden (name prestige)

Tier 4: maybe AK, Bracewell, JW, TK, MB, LL, maybe Porter Hedges (sort of in a different game).
Reputation for being a weird place? Have a CB at JD so I am curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Any CBs so far at BB or Sidley?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pre-OCI offer at KE as well. Have already done a callback at VE as well. I really like KE. Also, anyone have any insight into Willkie Farr?
Have heard that the Willkie office is fairly busy but that it is experiencing the growing pains of a small but busy office--no one can get a break, ever. Think the people are generally good people. Anecdotal from friends working there.
Anonymous User wrote:What are the pros and cons of PE work?
Pros: Sophisticated work where you get to take and argue for positions that are novel and aggressive, no fee sensitivity (no one to tell you you need to cut down your time even where required to do the job properly which definitely happens with some non-PE clients everywhere), sophisticated clients, high deal flow, high energy, working with people of similar age and opportunities for early responsibility as the PE clients only care about performance. Also, less of a good old boys network, partly because many are from NY and partly because they only care about performance so they don't care where you went to high school. Also, it is a bit of a hedge against a recession because PE typically wants to buy when assets are cheap in a recession.

Cons: Demanding clients with sometimes insane timelines. This doesn't sound so bad, and once you learn to manage them, it isn't so bad, but it can drive people that either don't learn how to manage them or don't have people above them that know how to manage them crazy.
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts/updates on Locke Lord? I was almost certainly going to go back to where I was this past summer, but absolutely loved my OCI interview and their event. Random game changer I was not expecting. Haven't heard anything back from them though.
Dying office of a struggling firm is what I have heard from good people that have left. Only gives the illusion of paying market (they don't). Would avoid it unless you don't have better options.
Anonymous User wrote:I also (two years ago) did a callback at STB and have a friend in that office, and what I think it happening here is that there is some bad blood between STB and KE (Managing partner at KE came from that Houston office) and that some of the deals both have been on together have been acrimonious. That I have heard confirmed from people on BOTH SIDES. I'm assuming that the person who posted that is KE. It seems particularly unfair to throw a bad culture bomb and then pointedly not elaborate, but people have done that to KE on this board so it's not like there is moral high ground for anyone here.

I guess I'll defend the Skadden and STB offices, which I'm betting will apply to GD when they get their feet on the ground. These are enormously profitable offices in terms of profit per lawyer, so clearly at these places there is work and hours to be billed at these places on big deals. My understanding is that both are growing, but who knows, definitely ask if you interview. The KE explosion in Houston is kind of the anomaly and not the rule for law firm growth, so it's not irrational. Neither is particularly leveraged so you're going to get facetime with partners on small deal teams. If you like a smaller office, and really like the fit, it's not completely irrational to pick one of them over BB or KE or VE. Associates aren't equity and the vast majority never will be - gross revenue is pretty irrelevant for most associates provided they are getting enough work to stay employed. Hopefully someone from one of these offices can chime in and defend their own honor.
Anon OP you were responding to here. It wasn't my intent to just throw a "bad culture" bomb and walk away but what I have heard is purely anecdotal and in a couple of cases would be stuff that I would be nervous posting from anything but a throwaway account (even with the pseudo-anonymity offered here) thus I am keeping it very vague. I agree that if you really like the fit, you should consider taking those offices (speaking more to Skadden than STB here), but I don't think they are growing in any substantial way. While I agree that chances of making partner aren't actually going to prove relevant for a lot of associates, it is still something you should want to be potentially attainable coming in.
Anonymous User wrote:Reputation for being a weird place? Have a CB at JD so I am curious.
Well their no talking about comp. and black box comp. system is the first oddity. I have had a few friends work in that office (3 of 3 are no longer there) or at other JD offices (Atlanta and Dallas) and they all felt that the Houston office had a really strange/weird vibe. I think it could be a good place to start, but would just get a really good feel and talk to a lot of associates before doing it, assuming you have other options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:23 am

Callback with KE for litigation; got back to me within 24 of my OCI. (Regional school, top 10%, Law review, moot court).

Also friends of mine have received BB callbacks for the Houston office, corporate section.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”