Idiot writing sample mistake Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Idiot writing sample mistake

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:10 pm

I accidentally sent a couple firms an older version of my writing sample which had a couple of small mistakes (missing letter and missing apostrophe). Should I send them the right version even though I already interviewed? I figured they will probably ding me for them anyway, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to. I guess I could also just hope they miss them but that seems unlikely.

Anonymous User

Re: Idiot writing sample mistake

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:15 pm

They almost certainly will not notice them and they will not notice all of them and if they do they won’t ding you for them. Don’t resend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accidentally sent a couple firms an older version of my writing sample which had a couple of small mistakes (missing letter and missing apostrophe). Should I send them the right version even though I already interviewed? I figured they will probably ding me for them anyway, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to. I guess I could also just hope they miss them but that seems unlikely.
I recently got a v50 offer where I made a mistake or two similar to that which you describe. I have a feeling they barely even read the sample. Do not resend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 pm

I just finished “reviewing” a candidate’s writing sample. Spent max 90 seconds on it. Too busy to read it thoroughly enough to spot a typo. Only read intro and briefly skimmed the legal argument section to see if candidate had the general idea How to Write a Brief. Can’t imagine many lawyers do a more thorough review.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just finished “reviewing” a candidate’s writing sample. Spent max 90 seconds on it. Too busy to read it thoroughly enough to spot a typo. Only read intro and briefly skimmed the legal argument section to see if candidate had the general idea how to write a brief. Can’t imagine many lawyers do a more thorough review.
Yep, that’s about how much time I just spent reviewing a writing sample... and it was on my cell phone. If you resend, however, I might run a redline to see what you are trying to get by me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:38 pm

I spend maybe 45 seconds looking at a writing sample. If it looks lawyerly and isn’t some weird formatted mess, it passes. If a candidate were to ask me about their writing sample in an interview, I wouldn’t even remember what they submitted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:58 am

Mid level who does plenty of recruiting here:

(1) I don’t read writing samples

(2) I have let plenty of dumb typos slip into things that have been filed

(3) I would probably ding you if you emailed to correct a writing sample. It means you were both careless enough to miss it in the first place (which is not a deal breaker) and that you are so neurotic that you see the need to correct and call attention to it (which is)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Thank you all for calming my raging OCI nerves.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:34 pm

I just received/accepted an offer at a V50 where I spelled the recruiting contacts name wrong on the cover letter... so yea...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:35 pm

They will almost certainly not notice them. An additional anecdote to help calm your nerves - the first firm I worked at out of school jumbled the first letters of it's founding partners names into an acronym (think AMBQ). I misspelled said acronym in my cover letter. Still got an offer, and nobody noticed. Chances are, nobody will notice your error(s), and even if they do notice, they won't care.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:07 pm

I misspelled the name of the firm (damn autocorrect) in 4/9 emails I sent after my callback. Still got the offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”