NY Offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NY Offers

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Any Gibson offers recently?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Lawstudent3692 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quick question: I received an offer from a NYC law firm, but more and more I'm realizing that I want to be in San Francisco (I have ties there as well). How awkward/successful would I be if I essentially said to the NYC office, "Thanks for the offer, but can I interview with your SF office?"
Bad move. Offices are usually on different tracks and getting into one office doesn't mean you'll have an "in" with the other; the most they would probably do is pass your resume along. You may as well think of them as different firms, usually. It would also show that you're not that interested in the office you got the offer in - I don't know how often they rescind offers, but they can.

Also, from experience, San Francisco is very hard to break into. You need a top GPA from a top school, even with strong ties. The fact that you got into the NYC office doesn't mean at all that you can get into their San Francisco office. If anything, I would just apply directly instead of asking someone in the NYC office to hook you up.
this is bad advice.

you have an offer, ie leverage. if you want to be in SF, ask to be in SF. some firms won't care. at Quinn, for example, if you receive an offer at the end of the summer, it is an offer to join the *firm*: you can summer in NY and go to LA full time.

worst case, they say no and are annoyed. who gives a shit. there are probably 100 people in your class and nobody at the firm will see you for another year. it'll have no impact on your chance of getting a full time gig.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lawstudent3692 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quick question: I received an offer from a NYC law firm, but more and more I'm realizing that I want to be in San Francisco (I have ties there as well). How awkward/successful would I be if I essentially said to the NYC office, "Thanks for the offer, but can I interview with your SF office?"
Bad move. Offices are usually on different tracks and getting into one office doesn't mean you'll have an "in" with the other; the most they would probably do is pass your resume along. You may as well think of them as different firms, usually. It would also show that you're not that interested in the office you got the offer in - I don't know how often they rescind offers, but they can.

Also, from experience, San Francisco is very hard to break into. You need a top GPA from a top school, even with strong ties. The fact that you got into the NYC office doesn't mean at all that you can get into their San Francisco office. If anything, I would just apply directly instead of asking someone in the NYC office to hook you up.
this is bad advice.

you have an offer, ie leverage. if you want to be in SF, ask to be in SF. some firms won't care. at Quinn, for example, if you receive an offer at the end of the summer, it is an offer to join the *firm*: you can summer in NY and go to LA full time.

worst case, they say no and are annoyed. who gives a shit. there are probably 100 people in your class and nobody at the firm will see you for another year. it'll have no impact on your chance of getting a full time gig.
Are you talking about switching your summer job or after you get an offer? I would not bring up wanting another office until you get an offer at the end of the summer. If you really want San Francisco, try to get an offer from a firm out there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Npret wrote:Are you talking about switching your summer job or after you get an offer? I would not bring up wanting another office until you get an offer at the end of the summer. If you really want San Francisco, try to get an offer from a firm out there.
OP here. My initial plan was to start out in NYC and move to SF (where I plan to settle down) in 5-6 years (say, as a 4th year associate). But I've read lately that at many firms, moving to their SF office is by no means guaranteed -- i.e. it's not as simple as e-mailing the Legal Personnel Department and saying "I want to move to the SF office now." So rather than start out at a NYC firm and risk not being able to lateral, I'm thinking it might be best to simply summer at where I want to be, i.e. SF. The problem is I bid on all NYC at OCI, so I have offers for NYC offices, but no SF offices/firms. I just started mass mailing the SF market, but I'm not expecting much luck (especially since my NYC offers expire in like 3 weeks, and I doubt the turnaround time on mass mailing to offer is less than 3 weeks).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lawstudent3692 wrote:

this is bad advice.

Are you talking about switching your summer job or after you get an offer? I would not bring up wanting another office until you get an offer at the end of the summer. If you really want San Francisco, try to get an offer from a firm out there.
you have an offer. they can't pull it and they're not going to remember a year from now that you asked if you could go to SF unless you were an absolute piece of shit and like, screamed at them on the phone or something. just be polite, maybe have some sob story about family or w/e. they want you to sign, so they're incentivized to keep you happy. if they say "no," just say you understand, etc.

regarding the "get a different job" theory --- OP is gonna have a rough time recruiting for an SF summer position right now. we're nearing the end of the BigLaw recruiting cycle for the year. if it were July 20th, I'd say yeah mass-mail or bid SF through OCI, sure. but it's August 19. send some emails, definitely, work connections, but kinda doubt it'll work out.

One caveat: OP, if you're working at a firm with a very small summer class (like say 20 people), maybe would do not this. but it sounds like this firm has a national practice with a correspondingly large number of summers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:53 pm

Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lawstudent3692 wrote:

this is bad advice.

What about splitting the summer b/w two offices of the firm?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lawstudent3692 wrote:

this is bad advice.

you have an offer. they can't pull it and they're not going to remember a year from now that you asked if you could go to SF unless you were an absolute piece of shit and like, screamed at them on the phone or something. just be polite, maybe have some sob story about family or w/e. they want you to sign, so they're incentivized to keep you happy. if they say "no," just say you understand, etc.

regarding the "get a different job" theory --- OP is gonna have a rough time recruiting for an SF summer position right now. we're nearing the end of the BigLaw recruiting cycle for the year. if it were July 20th, I'd say yeah mass-mail or bid SF through OCI, sure. but it's August 19. send some emails, definitely, work connections, but kinda doubt it'll work out.

One caveat: OP, if you're working at a firm with a very small summer class (like say 20 people), maybe would do not this. but it sounds like this firm has a national practice with a correspondingly large number of summers.
I would do go with the summer job I have in hand and get an offer there, then ask. I’m cautious though and I wouldn’t want to start the summer with the firm knowing I want a different office. I’ve never wanted to be in another city, so I don’t have first hand experience.

I know it’s not easy to just get another job. It’s just a suggestion that OP put the work in now to see what they can find. They may be looking for a 3L job and it’s wirth putting in some effort to get to know the other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lawstudent3692 wrote:

this is bad advice.

I would do go with the summer job I have in hand and get an offer there, then ask. I’m cautious though and I wouldn’t want to start the summer with the firm knowing I want a different office. I’ve never wanted to be in another city, so I don’t have first hand experience.

I know it’s not easy to just get another job. It’s just a suggestion that OP put the work in now to see what they can find. They may be looking for a 3L job and it’s wirth putting in some effort to get to know the other firms.
agree RE looking at other firms now. worst case it's networking

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lawstudent3692 wrote:

this is bad advice.

Is this true about Quinn? You can summer at an office, get an offer, and pick anywhere on the map to go?

Btw, in DPW once you get an offer at the end of the summer you could pretty much ask to be moved to another office. But, as they said - moves to other US offices are considered permanent and moves to the international offices are at least a two year commitment .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any Gibson offers recently?
There’s an offer reception this Wednesday so I got my offer last week within 24 hour turnaround.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Any movement from DPW? I interviewed last Tuesday and have heard nothing..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement from DPW? I interviewed last Tuesday and have heard nothing..
I had a next day offer from a CB last week. FWIW I read on previous threads that they can vary on how long it takes CB to offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lawstudent3692 wrote:

this is bad advice.

Is this true about Quinn? You can summer at an office, get an offer, and pick anywhere on the map to go?

Btw, in DPW once you get an offer at the end of the summer you could pretty much ask to be moved to another office. But, as they said - moves to other US offices are considered permanent and moves to the international offices are at least a two year commitment .

As someone w/ significant WE - I agree w/ do your summer in NYC and then approach the subject of transferring to SF when you accept an employment offer. Firms can be easily annoyed by indecisiveness/re-trading (not that you are, of course, but such a request at the SA stage would appear that way), so I don't think it's worth the risk. I'd say maybe even wait after your first year to discuss transferring - that is if you want to stay with the firm; otherwise look to lateral.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Anyone hear back from Latham recently?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from Latham recently?
Latham offer one week after CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
When was your interview?

hiyahh1

New

Post by hiyahh1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:White & Case offer 24 hours after an afternoon CB.
Do you mind sharing your school/gpa? You're the only W&C NY offer I've heard so far.
W&C NY offer 8 days after CB. T14, top 1/3, LR.
W&C NY 3 days after CB, T14, median stats
^Thanks for sharing! Was wondering, did it take three business days or did those three days include a weekend?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When was your interview?
Not the OP here, but I had my CB on 8/9 and heard back with an offer on 8/14, so ~1 week seems to be their turnaround. But I've also heard that Latham has a waitlist where some people have heard back ~3-4 weeks after their CB. It all depends on how many of their first picks end up accepting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When was your interview?
OP here. 8/10

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Paul Hastings NY offer today from last week super day

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have a sense of the timeline for hearing back from skadden? Did the “fantastic friday” today, but not sure if they do on the spot offers..
Anyone hear back from this yet?
Did Fantastic Friday on 8/17, received offer via phone call later that day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Willkie offer, cb 8/10

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Any Kirkland offers today from last week’s cbs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have a sense of the timeline for hearing back from skadden? Did the “fantastic friday” today, but not sure if they do on the spot offers..
Anyone hear back from this yet?
Did Fantastic Friday on 8/17, received offer via phone call later that day.
Anyone have insight into whether all offers were made day of? I haven't heard either way yet and wondering what my chances are at this point

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When was your interview?
OP here. 8/10
Anyone hear back from last week's CB?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”