Last minute clerkship opportunity - who to tell at firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Last minute clerkship opportunity - who to tell at firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 pm

I interviewed today for a clerkship starting in November. I just graduated and am scheduled to start at a NYC biglaw firm in October. If I get an offer (which I think is likely, given what the judge told one of my recommenders after the interview), who should I contact at the firm about not joining? E.g. Only HR, the hiring partner, and/or my partner mentor from the summer? I don't think they will really care, but just wanted to know best practices so as not to burn bridges and keep open a return offer. Thanks!

flawedargument

New

Re: Last minute clerkship opportunity - who to tell at firm?

Post by flawedargument » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:36 pm

Email the partner(s) that you have the strongest connection with, not more than 2. Then email HR immediately after. Since your NY biglaw firm will have a standard clerking policy, you won't need to do much explaining. Just say that you accepted a clerkship from <date> to <date>, you'd like to return to the firm after, apologize for the last minute notice, mention that you only found out yesterday (or whatever), and explain that the reason is because the judge is a recent appointment (or whatever the reason is). Your NY biglaw firm will care not at all, though they know that they lose a huge chunk of clerks to litigation boutiques, better firms, etc. There are probably somewhere between 30 and 100 people in your class at your office. Don't sweat it

Edited to add: HR will be the real player here--emailing the partners you are close to is just to maintain those relationships for the future. HR will probably respond and say "congrats, thanks for letting us know, we will be sending you an updated offer letter stating that your offer will remain open until <date 14-15 months in the future>." This is how it generally goes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:20 am

flawedargument wrote:Email the partner(s) that you have the strongest connection with, not more than 2. Then email HR immediately after. Since your NY biglaw firm will have a standard clerking policy, you won't need to do much explaining. Just say that you accepted a clerkship from <date> to <date>, you'd like to return to the firm after, apologize for the last minute notice, mention that you only found out yesterday (or whatever), and explain that the reason is because the judge is a recent appointment (or whatever the reason is). Your NY biglaw firm will care not at all, though they know that they lose a huge chunk of clerks to litigation boutiques, better firms, etc. There are probably somewhere between 30 and 100 people in your class at your office. Don't sweat it

Edited to add: HR will be the real player here--emailing the partners you are close to is just to maintain those relationships for the future. HR will probably respond and say "congrats, thanks for letting us know, we will be sending you an updated offer letter stating that your offer will remain open until <date 14-15 months in the future>." This is how it generally goes
This is all correct. Just wanted to add:
1) Your judge may have a policy against holding an offer open for the entire clerkship; once you get an offer, ask the judge his/her policy.
2) I wouldn't commit yourself to going back after. I agree that you should express an interest in returning, but leave yourself wiggle room.
3) You may need to pay back expenses like bar exam payment, moving, any starting bonus, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:20 am

flawedargument wrote:Email the partner(s) that you have the strongest connection with, not more than 2. Then email HR immediately after. Since your NY biglaw firm will have a standard clerking policy, you won't need to do much explaining. Just say that you accepted a clerkship from <date> to <date>, you'd like to return to the firm after, apologize for the last minute notice, mention that you only found out yesterday (or whatever), and explain that the reason is because the judge is a recent appointment (or whatever the reason is). Your NY biglaw firm will care not at all, though they know that they lose a huge chunk of clerks to litigation boutiques, better firms, etc. There are probably somewhere between 30 and 100 people in your class at your office. Don't sweat it

This is all correct. Just wanted to add:
1) Your judge may have a policy against holding an offer open for the entire clerkship; once you get an offer, ask the judge his/her policy.
2) I wouldn't commit yourself to going back after. I agree that you should express an interest in returning, but leave yourself wiggle room.
3) You may need to pay back expenses like bar exam payment, moving, any starting bonus, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”