Do most Biglaw firms ask laterals for references? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do most Biglaw firms ask laterals for references?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:36 pm

I’m in a weird spot. I haven’t been at my current employer for long (maybe 9 months). I went from a biglaw HQ to a satellite and I regret it. I also left my previous firm on not the best terms.

I have 5 or so callbacks in August at v50 firms and I’m wondering if I’m going to have to search for references.

I know that for an SA position, they didn’t care. But do they care at the lateral stage?

My current firm didn’t ask for references but I’ve heard conflicting info with regards to the practice.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Re: Do most Biglaw firms ask laterals for references?

Post by lawhopeful100 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 pm

When I lateralled they asked for references after I accepted my offer. They did actually call the references too, but they essentially just checked that I worked at my old firm and that I wasn’t fired or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:02 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:When I lateralled they asked for references after I accepted my offer. They did actually call the references too, but they essentially just checked that I worked at my old firm and that I wasn’t fired or something.
Wouldn't something like this come up in a background check though? (if you were fired)

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m in a weird spot. I haven’t been at my current employer for long (maybe 9 months). I went from a biglaw HQ to a satellite and I regret it. I also left my previous firm on not the best terms.

I have 5 or so callbacks in August at v50 firms and I’m wondering if I’m going to have to search for references. YES

I know that for an SA position, they didn’t care. But do they care at the lateral stage? YES
Anecdotal from my V lateral.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawhopeful100 wrote:When I lateralled they asked for references after I accepted my offer. They did actually call the references too, but they essentially just checked that I worked at my old firm and that I wasn’t fired or something.
Wouldn't something like this come up in a background check though? (if you were fired)
I guess. No idea honestly. I just know that during the period of having accepted my offer and putting in my two weeks notice, one partner I worked for mentioned she got a call from HR at the firm I was lateralling to and they asked whether I was leaving of my own choice. I don’t think there was anything substantive discussed beyond that, although I think my old firm had a general policy of not discussing the merits of former employees and only confirming factual stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Toni V wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’m in a weird spot. I haven’t been at my current employer for long (maybe 9 months). I went from a biglaw HQ to a satellite and I regret it. I also left my previous firm on not the best terms.

I have 5 or so callbacks in August at v50 firms and I’m wondering if I’m going to have to search for references. YES

I know that for an SA position, they didn’t care. But do they care at the lateral stage? YES
Anecdotal from my V lateral.
Ditto from my midlaw to biglaw lateral. Had to find three references they could call. Each call was about 90 seconds, had I been fired, etc.

barwhat

New

Post by barwhat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:40 am

I recently had callbacks at four mid-law/big-law (think Amlaw 75-125) firms in a secondary market. I received and accepted an offer from one of them and was not asked for references. Only one of the other firms asked for references at the interview stage. Position was mid-level associate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”