Gifts? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gifts?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 pm

As a SA, would it be appropriate to give my mentor a gift on my last day? They've really been helpful and have taken alot of time they could have been billing to help me this summer. Thoughts? Is this inappropriate because I am obviously hoping to receive an offer?

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Re: Gifts?

Post by JohnnieSockran » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a SA, would it be appropriate to give my mentor a gift on my last day? They've really been helpful and have taken alot of time they could have been billing to help me this summer. Thoughts? Is this inappropriate because I am obviously hoping to receive an offer?
I don't think it's inappropriate necessarily, but gifts for attorneys may be a fine line for not coming across awkwardly. I think a card with a handwritten thank you inside would suffice if this person is presumably an attorney. Any inexpensive gift like a gift card may seem cheesy since this person makes likely over $200k, and anything too expensive may seem brown-nosy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:42 am

JohnnieSockran wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a SA, would it be appropriate to give my mentor a gift on my last day? They've really been helpful and have taken alot of time they could have been billing to help me this summer. Thoughts? Is this inappropriate because I am obviously hoping to receive an offer?
I don't think it's inappropriate necessarily, but gifts for attorneys may be a fine line for not coming across awkwardly. I think a card with a handwritten thank you inside would suffice if this person is presumably an attorney. Any inexpensive gift like a gift card may seem cheesy since this person makes likely over $200k, and anything too expensive may seem brown-nosy.
Agree with this. I'm sure they have enough mugs, pens, etc. whatever neutral trinkets you might want to get them. Thoughtful (appropriate) card would be more meaningful.

gingerbread

New

Post by gingerbread » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am

I would forever love a mentee who brought me a nice box of chocolate or some treats from a local bakery, even though it’s definitely not necessary or expected. I think that’s a nice gesture without being over the top or awkward. Also, I’m hungry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:30 am

gingerbread wrote:I would forever love a mentee who brought me a nice box of chocolate or some treats from a local bakery, even though it’s definitely not necessary or expected. I think that’s a nice gesture without being over the top or awkward. Also, I’m hungry.
This. If an SA brought me a box of donuts, I’d be grateful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

coramnonjudice

New

Post by coramnonjudice » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gingerbread wrote:I would forever love a mentee who brought me a nice box of chocolate or some treats from a local bakery, even though it’s definitely not necessary or expected. I think that’s a nice gesture without being over the top or awkward. Also, I’m hungry.
This. If an SA brought me a box of donuts, I’d be grateful.
I brought my mentor and his practice group staff cupcakes from his/her favorite bakery on my last day of the summer. They loved them!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 pm

When I summered, I gave my secretary a Starbucks gift card on the last day (this was a common practice at my firm). With regard to attorneys, I think a thoughtful note will likely be appreciated more than a tangible gift, but something like a coffee gift card could also be appreciated, depending on the person.

thecatgoesmeow

New

Post by thecatgoesmeow » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm

Maybe this was just my experience, but I was very close to my mentor (literally checked in with me every day, organized lunches for me to meet partners, etc.) so I definitely wanted to get him a gift. I understand this isn't a normal dynamic at a lot of big firms, but I made him like a basket of baked things, wine, and a gift card (not for very much) just to show my appreciation. For another associate who was like a unofficial mentor to me, I gave her a nice bottle of wine. The summer associate for our firm last year (I wasn't her mentor but we talked every day) gave me a nice bottle of wine and thoughtful card. It's totally up to you based on your relationship with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”