Kirkland Boston? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Kirkland Boston?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 pm

Is there something going on with Kirkland Boston? A tax partner from Proskauer left Kirkland after 4ish months to go back.

I was considering it for a lateral opportunity, but am wondering if the office is having issues.

hoos89

Gold

Re: Kirkland Boston?

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there something going on with Kirkland Boston? A tax partner from Proskauer left Kirkland after 4ish months to go back.

I was considering it for a lateral opportunity, but am wondering if the office is having issues.
Because one partner left?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:08 am

hoos89 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there something going on with Kirkland Boston? A tax partner from Proskauer left Kirkland after 4ish months to go back.

Because one partner left?
Let me clarify. I am a tax associate and that was one of two tax partners that was at Kirkland Boston. The other was a senior associate that was promoted to non-equity partner (for moving from proskauer to Kirkland).

Just concerned about tax work there.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:40 am

If there is only one non-equity tax partner in that office, it's likely that office is originating very little tax work. You would be working on matters originating from other offices. Also, it would be difficult for you to make strong relationships with equity partners that can support you (reviews, mentorship, etc.) because none of them are in that office.

I would look at your other options. A group that includes only one person is not very stable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:20 am

jhett wrote:If there is only one non-equity tax partner in that office, it's likely that office is originating very little tax work. You would be working on matters originating from other offices. Also, it would be difficult for you to make strong relationships with equity partners that can support you (reviews, mentorship, etc.) because none of them are in that office.

I would look at your other options. A group that includes only one person is not very stable.
From what I understand, Tax work at K&E is largely assisting M&A transactions. As long as there is a strong supply of M&A partners who are busy (and I believe they are) your work will originate in the Boston office. Not sure your level, but a tax NSP would probably be who you would work with most directly as an associate anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 pm

One partner leaving is not cause for concern. Perhaps his book was not as portable as he thought; perhaps he didn’t fit the culture. Given the short time-frame, he’d have to pay back any bonuses or incentive comp (most firms have such clawbacks now). I’d wager that office will be at 75 attys this time next year, so I really wouldn’t be concerned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One partner leaving is not cause for concern. Perhaps his book was not as portable as he thought; perhaps he didn’t fit the culture. Given the short time-frame, he’d have to pay back any bonuses or incentive comp (most firms have such clawbacks now). I’d wager that office will be at 75 attys this time next year, so I really wouldn’t be concerned.
Eh...maybe the partner leaving isn't really a concern but the fact that there's only one partner in the practice area could be. Better hope you get along with that partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Semi-related in that its about Kirkland Boston. They do not do litigation, correct?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Kirkland-Boston looks like it is all PE; no restructuring or litigation

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:One partner leaving is not cause for concern. Perhaps his book was not as portable as he thought; perhaps he didn’t fit the culture. Given the short time-frame, he’d have to pay back any bonuses or incentive comp (most firms have such clawbacks now). I’d wager that office will be at 75 attys this time next year, so I really wouldn’t be concerned.
Based on their growth thus far, as well as the pace of the growth in Houston, it's a pretty safe bet to assume they'll be at 100+ by next summer. Also have heard the guy who left was not a fit culturally.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:46 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"][quote="Anonymous User"]One partner leaving is not cause for concern. Perhaps his book was not as portable as he thought; perhaps he didn’t fit the culture. Given the short time-frame, he’d have to pay back any bonuses or incentive comp (most firms have such clawbacks now). I’d wager that office will be at 75 attys this time next year, so I really wouldn’t be concerned.[/quote]

Based on their growth thus far, as well as the pace of the growth in Houston, it's a pretty safe bet to assume they'll be at 100+ by next summer. Also have heard the guy who left was not a fit culturally.[/quote]

Do you think they will add litigation anytime soon?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”