Lateral in Philly - Salary Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jemappes92

New

Lateral in Philly - Salary Questions

Post by Jemappes92 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Does anyone have an idea of how the salaries generally are at Philly firms that do not follow lockstep (i.e., the ones except Morgan Lewis and Dechert)? I'm considering a lateral move to Philly, and have been a bit perplexed at the lack of clarity of how the salaries work compared to the $190k lockstep firms (how much the salaries increase per associate year? bonus structure?).

Any thoughts, either from the Philly market directly or other similar markets, would be helpful!

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral in Philly - Salary Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Salaries in general will be considerably lower than almost every major market. Big law in Philly pays 160 tops (with the exception, as you noted, of Morgan Lewis and Dechert). There are a handful of firms that New Yorkers would consider mid-sized but are really big law in Philly (such as Ballard, Pepper, Duane Morris). These firms generally pay 130 to 160. If you are looking outside of big law, then anything around $100k is pretty sweet. Raises won't be lockstep, but my friends' firms and the firm I am going to will raise about $5k per year. A good first-year salary in a small Philly firm is 80k, so adjust to experience accordingly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Salaries in general will be considerably lower than almost every major market. Big law in Philly pays 160 tops (with the exception, as you noted, of Morgan Lewis and Dechert). There are a handful of firms that New Yorkers would consider mid-sized but are really big law in Philly (such as Ballard, Pepper, Duane Morris). These firms generally pay 130 to 160. If you are looking outside of big law, then anything around $100k is pretty sweet. Raises won't be lockstep, but my friends' firms and the firm I am going to will raise about $5k per year. A good first-year salary in a small Philly firm is 80k, so adjust to experience accordingly.
Any insight on Cozen? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm

I interviewed there but didn't get an offer. Very respectable firm that is constantly growing. I think they pay 150 for first years. Great if you want to do insurance litigation. The corporate group is also great but is relatively small.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed there but didn't get an offer. Very respectable firm that is constantly growing. I think they pay 150 for first years. Great if you want to do insurance litigation. The corporate group is also great but is relatively small.
Awesome, thanks for the input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Anyone know Pepper's scale? Or any other info, ref to Pepper?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Pepper's scale? Or any other info, ref to Pepper?
Pepper starts at 160 with about a 5k raise each year. It took them a year to react to the 180 NY raise, and then they only went up to 160 in Philly, so there's a chance that a year from now they'll go up a bit more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Second the above on Cozen. Great firm. Probably can expect ~$5k bumps, in line with what else is being said here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 pm

I haven't heard the greatest things about Pepper. Of course, it is a great firm and does great work, but the hours are less than ideal. The thing about Philly is that you won't ever be paid market (unless you are at Dechert or Morgan Lewis), so it often makes sense to go to a mid-sized firm with better hours. Most of the lawyers I know in Philly would rather make $120 at a smaller firm than work their ass off at Pepper for $140 (or whatever it is).

From my experience, Philly is a very unique market in that it's a very large city but also very insular. There are a lot of terrific firms (with great salaries) that do sophisticated work for clients in the PA, DE, NJ area. You just have to do your research. Although it sucks that Philly doesn't pay market, the good thing is that the pay cut isn't quite as bad when you leave big law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Pepper’s being way below pay-scale is baffling. Not only because Dechert/Morgan pays market but due to Philly's sky-high COL. PA’s property taxes are also unbelievably high (unless you use NJ as a comparison). Philly also hits you with city tax. I’ve heard good things about Pepper, but their pay and hours aren’t one of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 pm

The “big law” Philly firms (not Dechart, ML) are so ridiculously under market it’s laughable. You’re looking at 150 to 165 starting plus no more than raises of 5 or 10 thousand each year. I ended up going to New York once I realized this. Also, if you’re a lateral from a firm outside of Am Law, some of the firms will try to bring you below their advertised first year salary. At some of these firms there are junior associates being paid less than the summer associates.

Also I know associates in Philly who are nearing partnership and are making less than third and fourth year associates under the new Milbank scale. Starting at 150 vs. 190 is close enough but the wage gap only increases each year while they’re getting 5 thousand dollar raises and their peers at other firms are getting 10, 15, 25.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Ballard, Blank Rome, Duane Morris, and the other big philly firms are way below market (senior associates paid maybe 200k).

But, all of the aforementioned firms are really great places to work, from what I’ve heard (have friends at all of them).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 am

I wanted to add, through a Philly connection, Morgan Lewis is a very good firm to work for and pay wise they are a market leader. I don’t know jack about Dechart. Pepper was once up there but now lags behind the other firms that have raised their pay over the past couple of years.

What’s the word on Reed Smith? A friend was offered by Reed Smith but declined due to pay (I think they pay ok, just not market). Workwise my understanding is that Reed is your typical BL firm. There are numerous Philly MidLaw firms, 120 and tiny bonuses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:49 am

Honestly surprised, in the Above the Law age we live in, that Duane Morris, Ballard, Cozen, Blank Rome, Pepper and the other non-market Philly firms get by with impunity regarding their black box/below market pay. It makes sense that big cities like ATL and Miami have different locksteps, but seems like wage depression for a major east coast city like Philly not to be at market. Even Houston and Dallas are at market even though wages go a lot further there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am

The pay all has to do with COL. No idea where the above poster got the idea that COL in Philly is "sky high." It is by far the cheapest city on the east coast. As someone who went to law school in Boston and previously lived in DC, when I moved to Philly I was utterly shocked at the COL. I am not just talking about apartments. Everything is cheaper. My big law friends in Boston are paying $2,500 for an apartment that would be $1,200 in Philly. That money adds up. But yes, the Philly tax does suck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:13 pm

^I agree Philly is cheaper than other cities. However, the lower cost of living doesn’t account for Philly firms paying senior associates $200,000 compared to $275,000 to $325,000 in other East Coast markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pepper’s being way below pay-scale is baffling. Not only because Dechert/Morgan pays market but due to Philly's sky-high COL. PA’s property taxes are also unbelievably high (unless you use NJ as a comparison). Philly also hits you with city tax. I’ve heard good things about Pepper, but their pay and hours aren’t one of them.
I advise anyone seriously considering Philly to stay away from Pepper. It's financially struggling--it hemorrhaged partners last year. In my group, there were no midlevels above 4th year that were home grown because they all saw the writing on the wall and left. We had a ton of laterals because the culture was bad, even by biglaw standards. Firm management is driving the firm into the ground. Avoid. Really. You've been warned.

I had a senior associate colleague who billed 2650 and got a bonus under $15K. Really. When people say under market, they mean it. Stubs at firms in other markets made more than that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Sounds like Morgan Lewis didn’t even do a full match and only matched based on those who will exceed hours threshold. Philly... tough city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 pm

I’ve been interviewing heavily in Philly. I saw that DM and Pepper moved starting salary to 175k, with Pepper going even further and moving to lockstep up to 6th year (which is, in my opinion, a very reasonable, $255k ($50k below Cravath)). I’ve heard that the NY office is on the 180 scale for almost all class years.

Will the other firms follow suit? Money isn’t everything, but if I’m working long hours, I’d like to get compensated accordingly. I did well in school, but not well enough to land Dechert or ML, so I’m mainly focused on DM, Pepper, Blank Rome, Ballard, and Cozen).

Also, are the hours at Pepper markedly worse than the other philly biglaw firms? I have a friend at some of the other firms and they seem to have insane hours, so it’s kind of shocking that Pepper is known to have worse hours.

legallybrunette93

New

Post by legallybrunette93 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’ve been interviewing heavily in Philly. I saw that DM and Pepper moved starting salary to 175k, with Pepper going even further and moving to lockstep up to 6th year (which is, in my opinion, a very reasonable, $255k ($50k below Cravath)). I’ve heard that the NY office is on the 180 scale for almost all class years.

Will the other firms follow suit? Money isn’t everything, but if I’m working long hours, I’d like to get compensated accordingly. I did well in school, but not well enough to land Dechert or ML, so I’m mainly focused on DM, Pepper, Blank Rome, Ballard, and Cozen).

Also, are the hours at Pepper markedly worse than the other philly biglaw firms? I have a friend at some of the other firms and they seem to have insane hours, so it’s kind of shocking that Pepper is known to have worse hours.
I don't know about other firms following suit re raises, but Pepper's hours are really group dependent. There's one rainmaker partner that does health sciences deal work who's known to expect associates to pull really long/late hours. I think there's one or two general corporate/M&A partners that also expect long hours, but aren't known for being as bad. My litigation friends generally aren't killing themselves with hours. So it's really dependent on what group you're in and which partners you work for, which I get the sense is true at every firm.

strawberrieee

Bronze

Post by strawberrieee » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 am

What is the hour difference between ML/Dechert vs Pepper/DM/Ballard? Does that compensate for the salary difference?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”