Bad Reference from Summer Supervisor Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bad Reference from Summer Supervisor

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:01 am

Rising 2L heading into OCI season. Have a few screeners next week but my schools OCI hasn't started yet so the bulk is to come.

My experience this summer has been interesting. I'm working at a small firm (2-4 attorneys) and it seems that I've been doing first year/actual attorney work which is great. I'll have a lot to discuss during interviews. However, the firm has been busy and it seems like they're understaffed, so I've had essentially no time to get to know/cultivate relationships with anyone here. I get assigned work, I do it, and then I'll either check in for more work or be assigned something new.

The problem is that my boss seems like a pretty abrasive person. Most days we'll barely speak to each other besides good morning etc. I recently told him that I needed the day off for screeners next week and he seemed not to take it very well. He's now saying he's "backed up" with work and has begun asking that I stay late or come in on weekends for work. I'm not against extra hours or making up for lost time, I offered to help as much as possible when I asked for the screener day off. Still, I'm worried that the reference from this person, who I barely know and have only worked for since the end of May, will be lackluster or even negative. Otherwise, I have good references from a prelaw boss and professor. I'm just under the impression that OCI interviewers will care most about what this boss thinks of my performance.

Any advice for this situation? Do I just list this boss as my 3rd reference? I can't imagine it's super unique given that 1L summers are ~8 weeks. I just don't think this particular employer/potential reference has got to know me personally and professionally to the extent that I want them speaking on my behalf during such a high stakes process. Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Bad Reference from Summer Supervisor

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 am

fellow rising 2L. I'm assuming you have screeners with big law firms? I've read on TLS that it's pretty rare for firms to call your references.

rokiv

New

Post by rokiv » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L heading into OCI season. Have a few screeners next week but my schools OCI hasn't started yet so the bulk is to come.

My experience this summer has been interesting. I'm working at a small firm (2-4 attorneys) and it seems that I've been doing first year/actual attorney work which is great. I'll have a lot to discuss during interviews. However, the firm has been busy and it seems like they're understaffed, so I've had essentially no time to get to know/cultivate relationships with anyone here. I get assigned work, I do it, and then I'll either check in for more work or be assigned something new.

The problem is that my boss seems like a pretty abrasive person. Most days we'll barely speak to each other besides good morning etc. I recently told him that I needed the day off for screeners next week and he seemed not to take it very well. He's now saying he's "backed up" with work and has begun asking that I stay late or come in on weekends for work. I'm not against extra hours or making up for lost time, I offered to help as much as possible when I asked for the screener day off. Still, I'm worried that the reference from this person, who I barely know and have only worked for since the end of May, will be lackluster or even negative. Otherwise, I have good references from a prelaw boss and professor. I'm just under the impression that OCI interviewers will care most about what this boss thinks of my performance.

Any advice for this situation? Do I just list this boss as my 3rd reference? I can't imagine it's super unique given that 1L summers are ~8 weeks. I just don't think this particular employer/potential reference has got to know me personally and professionally to the extent that I want them speaking on my behalf during such a high stakes process. Thanks
Depends on the size of the firms that you are applying to at OCI, but if they're your typical vault style biglaw, I would put the chances of them reaching out to some random solo practitioner to see whether or not he liked you at slim to none.

This guy sounds like he's not the best to work for. But, he's not likely going to impact your OCI success, even if he hates your guts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 am

Going off this: I wasn't planning to use my summer supervisor because I am working at a small non-profit that is mostly (90%) staffed by interns. I think that the attorney would give me a decent rec, but we don't have a ton of contact other than a couple of group meetings each week. I don't think he's seen anything near my actual ability - we have been given no deadlines and the work has been essentially up to us. He's a great guy, but just doesn't feel like the best reference. I can spin the internship well for an interview (it was good research/writing experience), so I'm not worried there.

Is it too weird to use a professor and two direct supervisors from jobs I held for multiple years immediately before law school as references? These people have actually seen me work over multiple years and can vouch for me based on that. I just don't want people to think there is a problem if I don't list him.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 am

Exactly one firm asked me for references...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”