How badly did I screw up? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How badly did I screw up?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:15 pm

I am splitting my summer between 2 midsize firms in a small city (350,000) in my home state. Yesterday, one of the partners dropped by my office to check in and asked, “How are you liking it here?” Without thinking, I said, “I love it. Everyone is so much nicer here than at “Firm X.” IDK why I said that, but as soon as it came out of my mouth, I felt like an idiot. The partner responded that he had friends at Firm X, but was happy to know I liked it here.

I’m not a person who gets involved in office gossip, and I don’t shit talk coworkers. I didn’t mean to imply the other firm wasn’t a good place to work or that the people weren’t friendly. Firm X just had a very structured atmosphere where people kept to themselves. At my current job, people interact more, and the atmosphere is businesslike, but less formal. What I said sounded like a criticism. Now I’m afraid I’ve screwed myself out of an offer at both firms. The partner laughed it off, but I know It was not a good thing to have said. The firm (my current job) is small (around 40 attorneys), there are six clerks, and we believe that offers will be made to 3-4 of us. Am I making too much of this?

Anonymous User

Re: How badly did I screw up?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am splitting my summer between 2 midsize firms in a small city (350,000) in my home state. Yesterday, one of the partners dropped by my office to check in and asked, “How are you liking it here?” Without thinking, I said, “I love it. Everyone is so much nicer here than at “Firm X.” IDK why I said that, but as soon as it came out of my mouth, I felt like an idiot. The partner responded that he had friends at Firm X, but was happy to know I liked it here.

I’m not a person who gets involved in office gossip, and I don’t shit talk coworkers. I didn’t mean to imply the other firm wasn’t a good place to work or that the people weren’t friendly. Firm X just had a very structured atmosphere where people kept to themselves. At my current job, people interact more, and the atmosphere is businesslike, but less formal. What I said sounded like a criticism. Now I’m afraid I’ve screwed myself out of an offer at both firms. The partner laughed it off, but I know It was not a good thing to have said. The firm (my current job) is small (around 40 attorneys), there are six clerks, and we believe that offers will be made to 3-4 of us. Am I making too much of this?
You didn't screw up badly. The partner reminded you, appropriately and gently, that the legal world is a small one and it's better to be positive about your current firm than negative about your old one. But he will also appreciate your enthusiasm for their firm, and will not think about it for more than 2 minutes. Just make sure you don't do anything in the future to remind him or reinforce an impression that you have a habit of being loose or gossipy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Not good. But nothing you can do and not neccesarily detrimental. Just focus on doing well on your assignments at this point

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 pm

I wouldn't sweat this at all. Not even in the slightest. Even if you don't get an offer, it will not be because of this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:31 pm

OP. I guess if I was gonna say something stupid, it’s better to have done it now while there’s still time for them to forget about it before they make hiring decisions.

Thanks for the replies!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm

You're fine. But probably wouldn't hurt to have a pleasant social interaction with the person before you leave.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:02 pm

I’ve done and said much worse as a summer and an associate. Just more of a valuable lesson. Contrary to law school, which sort of engrains gossiping into you, you should generally not say negative things about other lawyers.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am splitting my summer between 2 midsize firms in a small city (350,000) in my home state. Yesterday, one of the partners dropped by my office to check in and asked, “How are you liking it here?” Without thinking, I said, “I love it. Everyone is so much nicer here than at “Firm X.” IDK why I said that, but as soon as it came out of my mouth, I felt like an idiot. The partner responded that he had friends at Firm X, but was happy to know I liked it here.
:lol: :lol: Not laughing at your expense, but that's a pretty good slip up. You'll be telling that story to summers in the future.

Let me tell you a story that will hopefully put you at ease a little bit. I did a half-summer with a midsized firm, and they put me in the corner of the building that was undergoing renovation. Well, since I was the only person in that corner they forgot about me, especially when my primary partner went on vacation. Long story short, during the debrief meeting on my last day, I flat out told the partner that they had forgotten about me and that the experience wasn't very pleasant for me. I walked out fully expecting never to hear from them again. I got a phone call as I was driving home with an offer from them.

If I could get an offer after telling a partner that their firm screwed me, you'll be fine. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”