Going back to biglaw after exiting Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawAndBehold

New

Re: Going back to biglaw after exiting

Post by LawAndBehold » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Yugihoe wrote:
LawAndBehold wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I know two midlevels at my big law firm who went in-house, decided it was a mistake, and came back within a year.
What, if you know, were their reasons for quitting their in-house roles? I recently took up an in-house position, moving from BigLaw, and i really do not like it all. But because most BigLaw lawyers treat getting an in-house job as some “golden” ticket, I feel like I must be crazy for wanting to go back to BigLaw. Helping similar stories help but unfortunately there are very few stories of BigLaw -> in-house -> BigLaw (certainly wihin a short time frame)...
What don't you like about it? If it's the company and/or people, isn't it possible to put in a year or two and trade up companies (and get a pay raise in the process too)?
I thought about sticking it out but the job really makes me desperately miserable in a way that BigLaw never has BigLaw has been exhausting at times but I never dreaded going to work like I do now. In a nutshell, I think it’s a mix of the type of work not being a good fit for me (I miss the intellectually challenging and at times academic aspect of BigLaw. In-house, at least for me is a - neverending - list of boring tasks, mostly reviewing contracts, constant stream of meetings. Ultimately, I miss being a “lawyer” because I certainly do not feel like one now) and the company not being a good fit (in the interview and even now they state the company has a fun atmosphere but that has really not been my experience at all. In fact, I was more or less bullied for the first few weeks by one of the legal staff. Whereas I really got along with my team at the firm, everyone was collegiate and there was a team-spirit/dynamic, lively atmosphere). Plus, I took a massive pay-cut for more or less the same hours (at least not proportionately less compared to the pay-cut). Perhaps a different role (more senior perhaps? More regional?) in a different company would work but I prefer going back to BigLaw. The experience has definitely put me off in-house. At least for the foreseeable future.

LawAndBehold

New

Re: Going back to biglaw after exiting

Post by LawAndBehold » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:10 pm

QContinuum wrote:
LawAndBehold wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I know two midlevels at my big law firm who went in-house, decided it was a mistake, and came back within a year.
What, if you know, were their reasons for quitting their in-house roles? I recently took up an in-house position, moving from BigLaw, and i really do not like it all. But because most BigLaw lawyers treat getting an in-house job as some “golden” ticket, I feel like I must be crazy for wanting to go back to BigLaw. Helping similar stories help but unfortunately there are very few stories of BigLaw -> in-house -> BigLaw (certainly wihin a short time frame)...
If you left on good terms (important qualification), then what Hutz describes - bouncing back quickly to your former firm - is in fact likely going to be the past of least resistance. It may seem counterintuitive, but you're a much easier sell to folks who like you and know you do good work than to strangers at a different firm who don't know you from Adam.
That is the plan. Going to stick it out for a couple more weeks and then reach out. I was well-liked and respected and think I had a future there (at least that is what they told me). Plus, I really liked the team and got along with my coworkers. You are probably wondering why I jumped ship? Grass-is-greener-thoughts, basically... anyway, would much prefer to go back to my old firm (even though it is slightly - tail-between-legs - embarassing) where I know what I am in for and where I have my reputation, than to start somewhere from scratch (and risk that firm not being a good fit or whatever)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”