Advice on Potential Lateral Move Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice on Potential Lateral Move

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:47 pm

I am a mid-level associate with a transactional practice. I spent my first couple of years in biglaw in NYC. A little over a year ago, I transferred to a large, regional firm in a different city (for a legitimate reason). My new firm paid for bar expenses and gave me a signing bonus.

While I like the firm and the people I work with now, I cannot seem to get work, despite my group being very busy. This has been an issue since the beginning of the year. I have mentioned it to several partners, all of which have assured me I am doing nothing wrong and they will “work on it.” My year-end review went well, too. I am frustrated because not only am I not getting experience, but I am going to miss out on a bonus for this year as well, and I already took a paycut upon accepting this position. I am considering applying to other large firms in the same city (there are several openings). Is exploring another move in this situation premature? I worry about having a flaky resume or royally pissing people off at my current firm.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Advice on Potential Lateral Move

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Well if they aren't giving you work, why would they be pissed?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”