Switching firms between 2L summer and 3L... anyone do this? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching firms between 2L summer and 3L... anyone do this?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:29 am

Thinking of switching from my firm in NYC to a firm in CA, has anyone been able to pull this off? I am from CA doing school in NYC. My firm has a CA office but haven't asked about changing offices

Anonymous User

Re: Switching firms between 2L summer and 3L... anyone do this?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thinking of switching from my firm in NYC to a firm in CA, has anyone been able to pull this off? I am from CA doing school in NYC. My firm has a CA office but haven't asked about changing offices
Yes people do this all the time, but will be significantly easier if you were well-liked and respected and have a partner willing to go to bat for you if trying to make the internal change.

Or, if trying for a different firm, reach out to friends who summered in CA and ask if they know if their firms are looking to hire any extra people. They should be able to get your resume to the top of the pile.

Anonymous User

Re: Switching firms between 2L summer and 3L... anyone do this?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Had a friend who asked to switch from east to west coast after summering at the firm because of a compelling reason (he and his partner are getting married soon, his partner will be starting at a high level at a firm in CA so my friend is kind of the one who needs to make the switch). For some reason, he was given a very hard time by the firm--multiple rounds of video conference "meetings" (read: interviews) by almost all the attorneys in the group in the CA office, and was ultimately told no (!!). Friend was obviously shocked and not happy with the answer, finally went to high level partner and said he was in a sticky situation and partner went to bat and pulled strings so friend could go to CA. I think this was an unexpected situation, but if you have someone you're on good terms with who you think can vouch for you and get you to where you need to go, maybe have a chit chat with them so that they know your situation and can help you out if they don't grant your transfer request.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”