Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Re: Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI?

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
JohnnieSockran wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:It really cant be more simple for guys. Wear a navy or dark charcoal suit. Wear a white shirt with a spread or point collar and red/blue tie with a conservative pattern. Button down collar looks bad. Wear black cap toe oxfords with matching belt (can get away with dark brown oxfords, but ultra conservative places you should really just play it safe with black). And for the love of god just wear socks that match your suit color.
+1 on the socks. Once had someone told me that the only thing interviewers should remember about your attire is that you didn't mess it up.
Um? no? this is so wrong. Socks generally match the shoes and belt, NOT the suit. If you match your navy suit with navy socks but are wearing black shoes / belt, you look like an idiot.

Standard:
Navy or charcoal suit / black shoes, black socks, black belt
Navy suit / brown shoes, navy socks, brown belt
Light grey suit / brown shoes, light grey socks, brown belt
Completely wrong. Socks match pants, and if you think otherwise, don't give fashion advice.

https://www.gq.com/story/sock-match-debate

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/how-t ... oes-pants/

See basic rule #3 in second link.
Exactly. This idiot contradicted themselves two lines down with the brown shoes but navy socks after saying that the sock should match the shoe. The sock matches the pant. I just gagged at the thought of wearing brown socks....
Calm down. I'm not the idiot, you maybe just can't understand that "match" doesn't necessarily mean "exact same color." Navy socks match brown shoes. A better way to put the rule is that socks should match/complement both shoes and pants, which is why both my post and rule #3 in that second article could be construed as contradictory. In all of those pictures, the socks match the shoes more than the pants. The colors have to complement each other.

Under your "pants match socks rule," a navy suit and black shoe wearer should wear navy socks. That is horrendously wrong.
You were wrong, its ok. You don't have to go walking your statement back now. The sock matches the pant.

alumclerkquestion

New

Post by alumclerkquestion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:03 pm

lol whoever is on here recommending black shoes with anything but a black suit and MAYBE a dark gray is wrong. Black shoes with non black suits make you look like you're 70

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lol whoever is on here recommending black shoes with anything but a black suit and MAYBE a dark gray is wrong. Black shoes with non black suits make you look like you're 70
lol what do you suggest then? Black is the appropriate shoe color for a formal business setting i.e. a deal or interview. That's a fact- ask any banker or lawyer. You would 100% absolutely under no circumstance wear a black suit in a business setting as its almost a guarantee someone will ask you to pull the limo around. A navy or dark charcoal suit with a black shoe/belt and white shirt is the standard corporate interview outfit.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lol whoever is on here recommending black shoes with anything but a black suit and MAYBE a dark gray is wrong. Black shoes with non black suits make you look like you're 70
Of all the dumb law student advice I’ve seen here this is the worst.

alumclerkquestion

New

Post by alumclerkquestion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm

lol what do you suggest then? Black is the appropriate shoe color for a formal business setting i.e. a deal or interview. That's a fact- ask any banker or lawyer. You would 100% absolutely under no circumstance wear a black suit in a business setting as its almost a guarantee someone will ask you to pull the limo around. A navy or dark charcoal suit with a black shoe/belt and white shirt is the standard corporate interview outfit.
Brown/tan shoes there buddy. Black shoes are out of style.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alumclerkquestion

New

Post by alumclerkquestion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
L M A O. Ok this is a flame. You got to be fuckin kidding with tan shoes right?

alumclerkquestion

New

Post by alumclerkquestion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:16 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

https://www.who2.com/wp-content/uploads ... 30x486.jpg

alumclerkquestion

New

Post by alumclerkquestion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No. Blue/gray suits look much better with tan or brown.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No one is debating what looks better. This is not a style contest. You are putting on a corporate uniform. Like I already said, the appropriate shoe color for a formal business event is black. Shit, there are people who would raise an eyebrow if you didn't wear a fuckin cap toe oxford, because again, that's viewed as the most formal shoe for business.

alumclerkquestion

New

Post by alumclerkquestion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No one is debating what looks better. This is not a style contest. You are putting on a corporate uniform. Like I already said, the appropriate shoe color for a formal business event is black. Shit, there are people who would raise an eyebrow if you didn't wear a fuckin cap toe oxford, because again, that's viewed as the most formal shoe for business.
How old are you? 60? 70? You obviously haven't been around a law firm or a courtroom recently. Lawyers (associates and partners) and judges and the rest don't really wear black much anymore. It's blue or gray. Mostly with brown/tan shoes. The advice is to look like your peers. And that's what this is.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How old are you? 60? 70? You obviously haven't been around a law firm or a courtroom. Lawyers (associates and partners) and judges and the rest don't really wear black much anymore. It's blue or gray. Mostly with brown/tan shoes. The advice is to look like your peers. And that's what this is.
Mid 20's and at a firm actually... Again, no one is saying you have to wear black shoes every day, because every day is not an interview. To an interview, you should absolutely wear black shoes. There are plenty of people/firms who wont care if you wear a brown oxford (including myself), but there are a decent amount who will. I wouldn't run the risk of losing an offer because I wanted to be a fashionista during OCI.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

https://www.who2.com/wp-content/uploads ... 30x486.jpg
Never said you couldn’t do brown. But the idea that a black shoe with a navy suit is out of fashion is laughable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Black shoes are more formal with a navy suit. Brown shoes work fine, but are considered less formal. NY, you'll see more black shoes, and probably more brown in CA. In Europe, bankers and lawyers almost exclusively wear black shoes (and Europe is more fashion forward). If you think black dress shoes are out of style, you know nothing about fashion. Look at any red carpet event, and see what the men are wearing (hint: blue suits, black shoes like David Beckham above). And those people's outfits are chosen and styled by the fashion deisgners themselves.

So get out of here with your brown shoe only advice.

The general rule though with a suit is that brown shoes are fine during the day or before 6pm, and black shoes are expected for evening attire (after 6pm), when it's more formal.

Not saying you should necessarily change shoes every day at dinner time, but if you're going to a cocktail/dinner event with a navy suit, wear black shoes that day.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:36 pm

I'm anon above, accidental.

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm

This is all so fucking horrendous - especially whatever dinklenuts is saying black shoes are "out of style" as if that's what we're discussing here. It's an interview, twatwaffle, it isn't supposed to be "in style". I cannot believe someone actually thinks this.

You will see brown shoes again and again and again at firms that have gone to business casual with blue suits and slacks, because it looks good. It also looks more C A S U A L, which is a concept at least one of you cannot wrap his thick skull around.

Even if you are interviewing with a firm that is aggressively business casual, you wear B L A C K S H O E S because it is a sign of respect for the process. This is biglaw that you are going into. Your interviewers may be 28 or they may be 68. The only way to guarantee that no one thinks you are a douche bag who doesn't understand what it means to fit in at a firm is to wear black shoes like all the other mindless drones. The firms want mindless drones. You may not think you are one, but no one gives a flying fuck, so wear black shoes.

I used to interview. 2 years ago. Things have not changed that much. I would be very, very confused by someone wearing brown shoes in an OCI interview. I would think "this person thinks they know more than their career services. This person is going to think they know more than me. This person is going to fuck up some blindingly easy but dull bit of diligence because they think they are B E T T E R T H A N T H E P R O C E S S.

Finally, because apparently some people are either color blind or incapable of using google, you can wear navy socks with brown shoes.

https://www.gq.com/gallery/best-socks-t ... rown-shoes

In fact, you can wear dark navy socks with any suit that is dark enough to be appropriate at an interview, including grey, because both colors are dark enough. If you wear lighter grey suits once you start work, go and buy yourself some dark grey socks as well.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:04 pm

People are getting way too nitpicky about this. The goal of OCI attire is to make you look presentable without drawing obvious attention to your appearance. So, that means OP should wear a charcoal, navy or grey suit.

There's been quite a debate over whether a candidate should wear only black shoes, as brown shoes offend some people. I'm of the opinion that anyone who gets offended by a candidate's wearing brown shows can and should fuck off.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:28 pm

SFSpartan wrote:People are getting way too nitpicky about this. The goal of OCI attire is to make you look presentable without drawing obvious attention to your appearance. So, that means OP should wear a charcoal, navy or grey suit.

There's been quite a debate over whether a candidate should wear only black shoes, as brown shoes offend some people. I'm of the opinion that anyone who gets offended by a candidate's wearing brown shows can and should fuck off.
That's good for you. Now you must also feed the jobless kids wearing brown shoes.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is all so fucking horrendous - especially whatever dinklenuts is saying black shoes are "out of style" as if that's what we're discussing here. It's an interview, twatwaffle, it isn't supposed to be "in style". I cannot believe someone actually thinks this.

You will see brown shoes again and again and again at firms that have gone to business casual with blue suits and slacks, because it looks good. It also looks more C A S U A L, which is a concept at least one of you cannot wrap his thick skull around.

Even if you are interviewing with a firm that is aggressively business casual, you wear B L A C K S H O E S because it is a sign of respect for the process. This is biglaw that you are going into. Your interviewers may be 28 or they may be 68. The only way to guarantee that no one thinks you are a douche bag who doesn't understand what it means to fit in at a firm is to wear black shoes like all the other mindless drones. The firms want mindless drones. You may not think you are one, but no one gives a flying fuck, so wear black shoes.

I used to interview. 2 years ago. Things have not changed that much. I would be very, very confused by someone wearing brown shoes in an OCI interview. I would think "this person thinks they know more than their career services. This person is going to think they know more than me. This person is going to fuck up some blindingly easy but dull bit of diligence because they think they are B E T T E R T H A N T H E P R O C E S S.

Finally, because apparently some people are either color blind or incapable of using google, you can wear navy socks with brown shoes.

In fact, you can wear dark navy socks with any suit that is dark enough to be appropriate at an interview, including grey, because both colors are dark enough. If you wear lighter grey suits once you start work, go and buy yourself some dark grey socks as well.
Since the inability to understand casual apparently seems aimed at me, I'll bite. I very much understand casual- I wear brown oxfords minimum twice a week and love the look. As you yourself admit, an interview is not the time for casual dress. You should be wearing a black captoe oxford because there are dick weeds out there that care about this shit and will think poorly of you for not adhering to very traditional and widely known norms of corporate dress.

thebasedgod

New

Post by thebasedgod » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:32 pm

is anyone really gonna care that I’m wearing this shoe (brown) with my navy suit?

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens ... gKHCfD_BwE

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is all so fucking horrendous - especially whatever dinklenuts is saying black shoes are "out of style" as if that's what we're discussing here. It's an interview, twatwaffle, it isn't supposed to be "in style". I cannot believe someone actually thinks this.

Since the inability to understand casual apparently seems aimed at me, I'll bite. I very much understand casual- I wear brown oxfords minimum twice a week and love the look. As you yourself admit, an interview is not the time for casual dress. You should be wearing a black captoe oxford because there are dick weeds out there that care about this shit and will think poorly of you for not adhering to very traditional and widely known norms of corporate dress.
I feel like the 3 of us are on the same page. Black shoes for interviewing, don't ask questions, and no one gives a fuck about what's stylistically right or wrong, just put on the damn black shoes for the interview.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:36 pm

thebasedgod wrote:is anyone really gonna care that I’m wearing this shoe (brown) with my navy suit?

Get this, but in black.

thebasedgod

New

Post by thebasedgod » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:
thebasedgod wrote:is anyone really gonna care that I’m wearing this shoe (brown) with my navy suit?

Get this, but in black.

too late, I bought em in Brown in October.

EminentDumain

New

Post by EminentDumain » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 pm

thebasedgod wrote:
JohnnieSockran wrote:

Get this, but in black.

Brown park ave crew checking in. If that’s wrong, I’m going down with the ship.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 pm

EminentDumain wrote:
thebasedgod wrote:
JohnnieSockran wrote:

Get this, but in black.

Brown park ave crew checking in. If that’s wrong, I’m going down with the ship.
same, especially since that shit is dark as FUCK anyway

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”