Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI?

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:09 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:I've been very confused by the consistent use of anon throughout this thread
It isn't just here, there's lots of unnecessary anon use all over the place. The new crowd doesn't seem to realize that it really shouldn't be used unless they're revealing something that may be identifying. Or they're afraid to attach their bold opinions to a pseudonym. And given the quality of some of the advice here and elsewhere, they're not hiding without reason.

And the new mods (or mod, singular?) don't seem to be enforcing the way the old folks did.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:13 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:I've been very confused by the consistent use of anon throughout this thread
It isn't just here, there's lots of unnecessary anon use all over the place. The new crowd doesn't seem to realize that it really shouldn't be used unless they're revealing something that may be identifying. Or they're afraid to attach their bold opinions to a pseudonym. And given the quality of some of the advice here and elsewhere, they're not hiding without reason.

And the new mods (or mod, singular?) don't seem to be enforcing the way the old folks did.
Given the absolutely horrific and flat out incorrect info given by several people throughout this thread, I got the sense it was because they did not want an incorrect opinion attached to their anonymous internet forum handle (LOL).

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:19 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:To play it safe and conservative you should be wearing a tux with peak lapels, patent leather oxfords, and a monocle (silver, NOT gold).
Ridiculous.

Everyone knows you only wear a tux to an interview after 7pm.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Ultramar vistas wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:To play it safe and conservative you should be wearing a tux with peak lapels, patent leather oxfords, and a monocle (silver, NOT gold).
Ridiculous.

Only if its a leap year moron.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Ultramar vistas wrote:
Ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WanyeKest

New

Post by WanyeKest » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Full Windsor or half Windsor? Since we've gotten this far.

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:12 pm

WanyeKest wrote:Full Windsor or half Windsor? Since we've gotten this far.
Both great choices, and really the only choices. Which one you tie is likely down to habit and what you learned, but learning both can be useful because the material your tie is made from, as well as the idiosyncrasies of certain collars, might make one more suitable than the other on any given day.

Really, you’re aiming for proportionality - so whichever one gives you the most pleasingly sized knot.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:21 pm

You know what's really fun? Spending 20 minutes outing anon abusers in a 5 page long thread.

Now that I'm annoyed after wasting my Friday afternoon cleaning up this crap, I'm in a banning mood. 3 day vacation for any future anon abuse in this thread.

Anon function is for when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. The only anons I left intact in this thread are the people who identified that they were participating in OCI. That's technically anon abuse as well, but I'm letting those two posts slide. This point forward, even those types of posts will be outed.

An especially malicious glare is directed toward JohnnieSockran. You know what you did, and now everybody else will know when they go back through the thread.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Laugh out loud funny that 95% of the straight up incorrect advice in this thread came from a fuckin 0L and 1L. No wonder they were using anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:34 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:Laugh out loud funny that 95% of the straight up incorrect advice in this thread came from a fuckin 0L and 1L. No wonder they were using anon.
And everybody said "amen."

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 pm

If you law students want to know what real lawyers look like, on their most important day, check out these videos of Ninth Circuit oral arguments. No one cares what your socks or whatever look like, and it's not a profession of models (and that includes me). https://www.youtube.com/user/9thcirc/videos

Edit: Actually, I just realized it might be different for transactional lawyers interacting with business and investment folks in $4,000 suits. So never mind about the above.
Last edited by dixiecup on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:59 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:You know what's really fun? Spending 20 minutes outing anon abusers in a 5 page long thread.

Now that I'm annoyed after wasting my Friday afternoon cleaning up this crap, I'm in a banning mood. 3 day vacation for any future anon abuse in this thread.

Anon function is for when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. The only anons I left intact in this thread are the people who identified that they were participating in OCI. That's technically anon abuse as well, but I'm letting those two posts slide. This point forward, even those types of posts will be outed.

An especially malicious glare is directed toward JohnnieSockran. You know what you did, and now everybody else will know when they go back through the thread.
I actually did not author some of the comments you've changed to say I did. Idc enough to push back on it, but I didnt. Weird

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:48 pm

lmao you buncha dweebs

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:51 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:Laugh out loud funny that 95% of the straight up incorrect advice in this thread came from a fuckin 0L and 1L. No wonder they were using anon.
Yea reading this thread as an attorney could be summed up as

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:31 pm

dixiecup wrote:If you law students want to know what real lawyers look like, on their most important day, check out these videos of Ninth Circuit oral arguments. No one cares what your socks or whatever look like, and it's not a profession of models (and that includes me). https://www.youtube.com/user/9thcirc/videos

Edit: Actually, I just realized it might be different for transactional lawyers interacting with business and investment folks in $4,000 suits. So never mind about the above.
This is a good post. I will point out a couple of things:

(1) I wore brown shoes to OCI and got multiple offers. I now interview candidates and give zero fucks if they wear brown or black shoes. I don't know anyone in real life who would judge someone negatively for wearing brown shoes at an interview.

(2) I think the "navy or grey suit with black oxford cap toes" orthodoxy matters much more in NYC than anywhere else (and not at all on the west coast). It also probably matters more to transactional lawyers.

(3) There's a big difference between wearing a tan suit (which is loud) versus wearing brown shoes (which are not). Generally you should not wear anything that is loud - neon or pastel ties, brightly patterned shirts, contrast collars, light colored suits, etc. - to an interview. But I think people getting dinged for wearing brown shoes, a light blue shirt, etc. is largely an urban TLS myth.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:But I think people getting dinged for wearing a light blue shirt is largely an urban TLS myth.
Wait, is that a myth? I've been wearing light blue shirts...

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:36 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:
dixiecup wrote:If you law students want to know what real lawyers look like, on their most important day, check out these videos of Ninth Circuit oral arguments. No one cares what your socks or whatever look like, and it's not a profession of models (and that includes me). https://www.youtube.com/user/9thcirc/videos

This is a good post. I will point out a couple of things:

(1) I wore brown shoes to OCI and got multiple offers. I now interview candidates and give zero fucks if they wear brown or black shoes. I don't know anyone in real life who would judge someone negatively for wearing brown shoes at an interview.

(2) I think the "navy or grey suit with black oxford cap toes" orthodoxy matters much more in NYC than anywhere else (and not at all on the west coast). It also probably matters more to transactional lawyers.

(3) There's a big difference between wearing a tan suit (which is loud) versus wearing brown shoes (which are not). Generally you should not wear anything that is loud - neon or pastel ties, brightly patterned shirts, contrast collars, light colored suits, etc. - to an interview. But I think people getting dinged for wearing brown shoes, a light blue shirt, etc. is largely an urban TLS myth.
I am still in school so I obviously have no behind the scene knowledge about whether interviewers ding for brown shoes. However, everyone I have asked about the issue (friends, current attorneys, a professor) has said that it doesn't matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:00 pm

guynourmin wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:You know what's really fun? Spending 20 minutes outing anon abusers in a 5 page long thread.

I actually did not author some of the comments you've changed to say I did. Idc enough to push back on it, but I didnt. Weird
Yeah, that's kinda strange. The tool was acting funny with some of the posts. Go ahead and report the misattributed posts, and I'll figure out why they're wrong.

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Ultramar vistas wrote:
Both great choices, and really the only choices. Which one you tie is likely down to habit and what you learned, but learning both can be useful because the material your tie is made from, as well as the idiosyncrasies of certain collars, might make one more suitable than the other on any given day.

Really, you’re aiming for proportionality - so whichever one gives you the most pleasingly sized knot.
So a four-in-hand is too informal?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 pm

MaxMcMann wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:

Problem with the 4 in hand is it usually comes out looking a little lopsided, which may come off as sloppy in an interview. Cant go wrong with a half Windsor.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:36 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
MaxMcMann wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:

Problem with the 4 in hand is it usually comes out looking a little lopsided, which may come off as sloppy in an interview. Cant go wrong with a half Windsor.
what if I have a thick neck and tying a half windsor would require me to get longer ties? Is a quality four-in-hand knot probably fine?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Wubbles wrote:
MaxMcMann wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:

what if I have a thick neck and tying a half windsor would require me to get longer ties? Is a quality four-in-hand knot probably fine?
Yea, shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you get it as even as possible, and throw a nice dimple in there.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:17 pm

Wubbles wrote:
MaxMcMann wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:

Yea, shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you get it as even as possible, and throw a nice dimple in there.
Gracias. Yeah, my four-in-hands look good, they are just a little small because I need to conserve the material for elsewhere

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Wubbles wrote:
Wubbles wrote:
MaxMcMann wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:

Gracias. Yeah, my four-in-hands look good, they are just a little small because I need to conserve the material for elsewhere
If its noticeably small wear a point collar rather than a spread, as a spread may call more attention to it and look off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”