Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Re: Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI?

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:It really cant be more simple for guys. Wear a navy or dark charcoal suit. Wear a white shirt with a spread or point collar and red/blue tie with a conservative pattern. Button down collar looks bad. Wear black cap toe oxfords with matching belt (can get away with dark brown oxfords, but ultra conservative places you should really just play it safe with black). And for the love of god just wear socks that match your suit color.
+1 on the socks. Once had someone told me that the only thing interviewers should remember about your attire is that you didn't mess it up.
Um? no? this is so wrong. Socks generally match the shoes and belt, NOT the suit. If you match your navy suit with navy socks but are wearing black shoes / belt, you look like an idiot.

Standard:
Navy or charcoal suit / black shoes, black socks, black belt
Navy suit / brown shoes, navy socks, brown belt
Light grey suit / brown shoes, light grey socks, brown belt
Completely wrong. Socks match pants, and if you think otherwise, don't give fashion advice.

https://www.gq.com/story/sock-match-debate

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/how-t ... oes-pants/

See basic rule #3 in second link.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 pm

Agree with above poster re: socks match pants.

Also, agree that shoes match the belt, OR you could just be a G, buy custom suits and get tab sides instead of belt loops and not need a belt (or if you want to go the MTM route, Tom Ford makes most suits this way with tabs instead of belt loops too). Boom, no belt needed.

MOD EDIT: It's one thing to abuse anon for stuff that doesn't deserve anonymity. I'd simply de-anon you in that case. It's another thing to pimp your own posts. SHAME! SHAME!

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Agree with above poster re: socks match pants.

Also, agree that shoes match the belt, OR you could just be a G, buy custom suits and get tab sides instead of belt loops and not need a belt (or if you want to go the MTM route, Tom Ford makes most suits this way with tabs instead of belt loops too). Boom, no belt needed.
Okay so look, you’re right. In an ideal world, we’d all be wearing bespoke or, at the very least, tailored suits, and none of us would have belt loops. Because if your pants fit, you shouldn’t need a belt. In the UK, wearing a belt with a suit is a bit gauche - it gives it away as off-the-peg.

But unfortunately, American businesspeople expect a belt. It looks wrong to them if you aren’t wearing one. So unless you are British, wear a belt, with a Navy suit, white shirt, conservative tie, dark navy socks, black cap toe shoes, and be done with it. For gods sake, don’t wear Tom Ford or do anything because you are trying to “be a G”. You can do all of that when you start as a first year.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Agree with above poster re: socks match pants.

Okay so look, you’re right. In an ideal world, we’d all be wearing bespoke or, at the very least, tailored suits, and none of us would have belt loops. Because if your pants fit, you shouldn’t need a belt. In the UK, wearing a belt with a suit is a bit gauche - it gives it away as off-the-peg.

But unfortunately, American businesspeople expect a belt. It looks wrong to them if you aren’t wearing one. So unless you are British, wear a belt, with a Navy suit, white shirt, conservative tie, dark navy socks, black cap toe shoes, and be done with it. For gods sake, don’t wear Tom Ford or do anything because you are trying to “be a G”. You can do all of that when you start as a first year.
Anon from above. Oh yeah I kinda forgot this thread was about OCI. I more meant as you get more senior, if you really struggle with how to match what to what, just spend more money, go custom and eliminate one of the variables lol. Obviously the vast majority of people aren't going to do that (at least not in the US, and especially not most lawyers), and that's fine.

Also, FWIW, no one without age/experience looks good in a Tom Ford suit IMHO. You need a couple of grey hairs on your head to pull off that look, because most of his suits have pretty bold peak lapels, and look very powerful. A green 22 year old might look a bit silly in one, especially in an interview.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Getting back to the original point of the post—is this really what you want to go for?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:Getting back to the original point of the post—is this really what you want to go for?

They think they’ll look like this

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:47 pm

my pants are tailored to my waist so I won't be wearing a belt. even if it bothers anyone, it's not like they're gonna be able to see if i'm wearing a belt or not.

Wolverine32

New

Post by Wolverine32 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:my pants are tailored to my waist so I won't be wearing a belt. even if it bothers anyone, it's not like they're gonna be able to see if i'm wearing a belt or not.
Most people don’t use belts to literally keep their pants up. It’s not like the day someone’s pants fit they stop wearing a belt. So, you should def wear the camel colored suit, no belt and no socks. The lack of socks is what really makes this work and is straight up “summertime chic”.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:my pants are tailored to my waist so I won't be wearing a belt. even if it bothers anyone, it's not like they're gonna be able to see if i'm wearing a belt or not.
Most people don’t use belts to literally keep their pants up. It’s not like the day someone’s pants fit they stop wearing a belt.
what's your point? I'm saying it doesn't matter if you wear a belt because no one is gonna see anyway.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:57 am

JohnnieSockran wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:It really cant be more simple for guys. Wear a navy or dark charcoal suit. Wear a white shirt with a spread or point collar and red/blue tie with a conservative pattern. Button down collar looks bad. Wear black cap toe oxfords with matching belt (can get away with dark brown oxfords, but ultra conservative places you should really just play it safe with black). And for the love of god just wear socks that match your suit color.
+1 on the socks. Once had someone told me that the only thing interviewers should remember about your attire is that you didn't mess it up.
Um? no? this is so wrong. Socks generally match the shoes and belt, NOT the suit. If you match your navy suit with navy socks but are wearing black shoes / belt, you look like an idiot.

Standard:
Completely wrong. Socks match pants, and if you think otherwise, don't give fashion advice.

Exactly. This idiot contradicted themselves two lines down with the brown shoes but navy socks after saying that the sock should match the shoe. The sock matches the pant. I just gagged at the thought of wearing brown socks....

RecruiterMan

New

Post by RecruiterMan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Most people don’t use belts to literally keep their pants up. It’s not like the day someone’s pants fit they stop wearing a belt. So, you should def wear the camel colored suit, no belt and no socks. The lack of socks is what really makes this work and is straight up “summertime chic”.
I couldn't agree more. OP, you should also be sure to stuff a good number of socks into your undies to suggest you have a yuge armadillo in there.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:15 am

Why is wearing a belt a problem?
This entire thread is a joke, right?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:19 am

Npret wrote:Why is wearing a belt a problem?
Its not a problem. Typically bespoke (custom) suits don't have belt loops because the fit is perfect. Obviously most people cannot afford bespoke. Regardless, a belt is the standard in the US. Just wear one that matches your shoe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 am

it's not a problem. beltless simply looks better.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
caveat...only if there are no belt loops

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:28 am

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
disagree, but i'll be wearing a belt anyway.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Up to you man, but you really are only supposed to go beltless if you have bespoke/properly tailored pants that have no belt loops. Going beltless with loops just makes it look like you forgot to wear a belt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm in your camp....beltless always looks better IMO.

I've been able to find a few decently priced places so that I can do tab sides on all of my suits anyway, but I do typically wear a belt on a daily basis, but that's because I wear chinos to work Mon-Thurs and jeans on Friday.

bumble123

New

Post by bumble123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 am

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
glitched wrote:Y'all are overthinking this way way too much.
I agree!

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nooo this is unacceptable. Having belt loops but no belt is worse than having collar buttons but leaving them undone, or doing up all the buttons on your suit, or forgetting to unpick the threads tying your suit vents closed when you buy it. It looks unfinished, unconsidered, and no, before you say it's a kind of ivy league carelessness, it is not at all sprezzatura.

If you are the kind of person that buys suits off the peg, and they come with belt loops, suck it up and wear a belt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nooo this is unacceptable. Having belt loops but no belt is worse than having collar buttons but leaving them undone, or doing up all the buttons on your suit, or forgetting to unpick the threads tying your suit vents closed when you buy it. It looks unfinished, unconsidered, and no, before you say it's a kind of ivy league carelessness, it is not at all sprezzatura.

If you are the kind of person that buys suits off the peg, and they come with belt loops, suck it up and wear a belt.
it's debatable

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Curse

New

Post by Curse » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:26 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Standard:

Exactly. This idiot contradicted themselves two lines down with the brown shoes but navy socks after saying that the sock should match the shoe. The sock matches the pant. I just gagged at the thought of wearing brown socks....
Calm down. I'm not the idiot, you maybe just can't understand that "match" doesn't necessarily mean "exact same color." Navy socks match brown shoes. A better way to put the rule is that socks should match/complement both shoes and pants, which is why both my post and rule #3 in that second article could be construed as contradictory. In all of those pictures, the socks match the shoes more than the pants. The colors have to complement each other.

Under your "pants match socks rule," a navy suit and black shoe wearer should wear navy socks. That is horrendously wrong.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JohnnieSockran wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Standard:

Calm down. I'm not the idiot, you maybe just can't understand that "match" doesn't necessarily mean "exact same color." Navy socks match brown shoes. A better way to put the rule is that socks should match/complement both shoes and pants, which is why both my post and rule #3 in that second article could be construed as contradictory. In all of those pictures, the socks match the shoes more than the pants. The colors have to complement each other.

Under your "pants match socks rule," a navy suit and black shoe wearer should wear navy socks. That is horrendously wrong.
There is no universe in which brown matches navy. Sorry.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JohnnieSockran wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Standard:

Maybe you need to stop giving advice and stop justifying your wrong choices. You are, objectively speaking, wrong. Navy suit with black shoes = dark navy socks. Sorry to disappoint. https://www.gq.com/story/sock-slack-matching.

Go ahead and find some fashion authority that says otherwise. I'll wait.

eng2jd

New

Post by eng2jd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:49 pm

You people are all wrong. Wear socks of a different color than both shoes and pants but which compliment your overall outfit. If an employer that I am otherwise qualified for and otherwise likes me dings me (or even considers dinging me) during OCI because of my sock choice, I have zero desire to work for said employer.

Also, why are people using anon to discuss various OCI fashion preferences?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”