Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
corporate_regret

New

Re: Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI?

Post by corporate_regret » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Ugh fuck it I'll chime in.

To those of you saying brown is not a formal shoe are flat out wrong. A dark brown color shoe (if you're using AE colors, anything like brown/oxblood/etc.) is a PERFECTLY acceptable formal shoe.

How i know most of you don't know what you're talking about is that a bigger indication of whether a shoe is considered "formal" is whether it's closed-lace or open-lace. And yet I'm sure 99% of men today don't know the difference.

In general, the lighter the shoe, the less formal it is. BUT, a brown closed-lace shoe, even a cap-toe brogue, is more formal than a black blucher shoe.

And yet, I'm sure we will see plenty of troglodytes with their black, open-lace, square-toed monstrosities getting offers left and right.

corporate_regret

New

Post by corporate_regret » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:51 pm

corporate_regret wrote:Ugh fuck it I'll chime in.

To those of you saying brown is not a formal shoe are flat out wrong. A dark brown color shoe (if you're using AE colors, anything like brown/oxblood/etc.) is a PERFECTLY acceptable formal shoe.

How i know most of you don't know what you're talking about is that a bigger indication of whether a shoe is considered "formal" is whether it's closed-lace or open-lace. And yet I'm sure 99% of men today don't know the difference.

In general, the lighter the shoe, the less formal it is. BUT, a brown closed-lace shoe, even a cap-toe brogue, is more formal than a black blucher shoe.

And yet, I'm sure we will see plenty of troglodytes with their black, open-lace, square-toed monstrosities getting offers left and right.
Also, socks match the trousers. End of story.

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Confident ignorance. The worst kind

EminentDumain

New

Post by EminentDumain » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:

He’s actually right... Brown balmorals are a far better choice than black bluchers because bluchers really aren’t meant to be worn with formal business suits. Again, this is not from a style standpoint but from a corporate uniform standpoint.

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Post by imalreadyamember? » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:33 am

So how does everybody feel about oxblood/merlot?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:43 am

That's why I specifically recommended black oxfords in literally every post. I guess I should not have assumed these people would know you aren't supposed to wear a fuckin derby to an interview.

With regards to the brown oxford being perfectly acceptable in the corporate environment, no one said it was not. The question here is what is the appropriate shoe for OCI. A black cap toe oxford is always the right answer.

I'm just glad we finally reached a consensus that sock matches pant. Felt like I was taking crazy pills...

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:08 am

EminentDumain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

He’s actually right... Brown balmorals are a far better choice than black bluchers because bluchers really aren’t meant to be worn with formal business suits. Again, this is not from a style standpoint but from a corporate uniform standpoint.
He’s not ignorant about shoes, because he’s obviously read GQ waiting for a haircut once, but he’s ignorant about everything that we’re talking about, completely missing the point, and misleading interviewees. Charging in like an asshole without getting the context. Exactly what you’d expect from someone who thinks ox bloods are a way to subtly express his personality. It doesn’t matter what is technically more formal and what isn’t, it matters what you wear to a screener, and what is the safest option. Nobody has been recommending black derbys or bluchers - cap toe oxfords has been said a thousand times. Also - open and closed lacing is not some kind of esoteric mystery to 99% of the world, yeesh. The fact is, color is massively more obvious in a screener than the state of your laces. Yes, if for an interview you have to choose between some very informal looking black shoes like these:

https://[link redacted]/images/FQ5iGc

And a very nice pair of ultra formal oxbloods, I could see the argument. The interviewer would still focus on the color rather than the style, but okay.

But if you have a pair of cap toes that look good and shiny and neat like this:

https://[link redacted]/images/yKKVn3

Then that is preferable, in an interview, to anything brown.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am

For OCI, brown (darker the better) and black shoes are fine. Navy and gray/charcoal suits recommended (black could work but if you have options, I'd just go with navy or gray). Any tie is generally okay, as long as it doesn't have a really funky design, embroidery, or bright color (though one of my friends wore a bright salmon tie and he got plenty of callbacks). You should wear a belt, preferably matching your shoes. Your socks are not that big of a concern as long as it's not a bright color (even then I think it's okay). No one's going to seriously care if your socks don't match. And if they do, working for a place like that is gonna suck ass anyway.

As for fashion or what GQ or some other magazine recommends, who cares? That doesn't matter in the slightest. Except I will say that your suit should be fitted because it kind of looks goofy otherwise.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:People are getting way too nitpicky about this. The goal of OCI attire is to make you look presentable without drawing obvious attention to your appearance. So, that means OP should wear a charcoal, navy or grey suit.

There's been quite a debate over whether a candidate should wear only black shoes, as brown shoes offend some people. I'm of the opinion that anyone who gets offended by a candidate's wearing brown shows can and should fuck off.
That's good for you. Now you must also feed the jobless kids wearing brown shoes.
Yeah, I'm sure every single person that gets dinged at OCI got their ding because they wore brown shoes. Maybe it's an East Coast/West Coast difference, but I fail to see what bearing the color of one's shoes has on their ability to be a good lawyer. Also, the assertion that people that wear brown shoes thing they are "better than the process" is laughable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:08 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:People are getting way too nitpicky about this. The goal of OCI attire is to make you look presentable without drawing obvious attention to your appearance. So, that means OP should wear a charcoal, navy or grey suit.

There's been quite a debate over whether a candidate should wear only black shoes, as brown shoes offend some people. I'm of the opinion that anyone who gets offended by a candidate's wearing brown shows can and should fuck off.
That's good for you. Now you must also feed the jobless kids wearing brown shoes.
Yeah, I'm sure every single person that gets dinged at OCI got their ding because they wore brown shoes. Maybe it's an East Coast/West Coast difference, but I fail to see what bearing the color of one's shoes has on their ability to be a good lawyer. Also, the assertion that people that wear brown shoes thing they are "better than the process" is laughable.
Nobody said everybody at OCI who gets dinged is getting dinged for brown shoes. They might also be getting dinged for contrast collars, plaid suits, incorrectly matching socks, or button down shirts.

You seem awfully defensive about the brown shoes - are you just now realizing why you ended up at a third tier law firm? That’s right. It was the shoes.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Yeah I know the difference. It's called Oxford vs. Derby. An oxford is more formal, just like black. You're flat out wrong.

I agree a brown oxford is better than a black derby. But, just buy black oxfords and do it right.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Ultramar vistas wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nobody said everybody at OCI who gets dinged is getting dinged for brown shoes. They might also be getting dinged for contrast collars, plaid suits, incorrectly matching socks, or button down shirts.

You seem awfully defensive about the brown shoes - are you just now realizing why you ended up at a third tier law firm? That’s right. It was the shoes.
I'm not being defensive about brown shoes - I'm being adamant that someone's wearing brown shoes isn't a proxy for anything and is a stupid thing to care about. Maybe that's why I never shot for NY biglaw - I wouldn't really want to work at a place where people care about stuff like this.

And I ended up at a high end EC/VC boutique that pays me Cravath money to bill 1,900 hours a year and have a life outside of work. Thanks for playing though!

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:16 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not being defensive about brown shoes - I'm being adamant that someone's wearing brown shoes isn't a proxy for anything and is a stupid thing to care about. Maybe that's why I never shot for NY biglaw - I wouldn't really want to work at a place where people care about stuff like this.

And I ended up at a high end EC/VC boutique that pays me Cravath money to bill 1,900 hours a year and have a life outside of work. Thanks for playing though!
Yea, pretty sure he was saying that tongue in cheek, hardo.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:34 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You're missing the point. No one is arguing that it's not a stupid thing to care about. But, people do care, black shoes are better for OCI, and this thread is about maximizing the chances of getting an offer, so wear the black shoes because some people will care, regardless of how you feel about it. No one is saying brown shoes don't have a place, and many good candidates will wear them to OCI and still get offers. Black is just safer, plain and simple.

Also, that's pretty sick bro. Glad we can get a pissing contest started as well.

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:56 pm

And finally the truth comes out and we have an answer. If you wear brown shoes at your screener, gentleman, you will not have a shot at NY biglaw.

You will end up at a prestigeless sweatshop high end boutique paying less than market but promising to make it up in market shattering bonuses that never arrive Cravath money and you will feel deep rooted shoe related shame about your career have a fulfilling life outside of work where you wear many colors of shoe.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the UK, wearing a belt with a suit is a bit gauche - it gives it away as off-the-peg.
Either you've been spending too long in the cinema (James Bond is about the only British guy who never wears a belt with his suit) or you're hanging out with a pretty unusual subset of folk. A trivial Google images search will find everyone from former prime ministers to members of the royal family wearing suits and belts. Indeed, with the reserved sense of style associated with the UK, I think that wearing trousers that have no belt loops, indicating your suit is bespoke, might be seen as gaudy in some circles.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:45 pm

albanach wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In the UK, wearing a belt with a suit is a bit gauche - it gives it away as off-the-peg.
Either you've been spending too long in the cinema (James Bond is about the only British guy who never wears a belt with his suit) or you're hanging out with a pretty unusual subset of folk. A trivial Google images search will find everyone from former prime ministers to members of the royal family wearing suits and belts. Indeed, with the reserved sense of style associated with the UK, I think that wearing trousers that have no belt loops, indicating your suit is bespoke, might be seen as gaudy in some circles.
Gaudy, no. Refined, yes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:01 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:
Gaudy, no. Refined, yes.
Having lived there for decades, it is absolutely not common - even if you get a lounge suit from Savile Row.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:04 pm

albanach wrote:
JohnnieSockran wrote:
Gaudy, no. Refined, yes.
Having lived there for decades, it is absolutely not common - even if you get a lounge suit from Savile Row.
I've done bespoke with Kilgour, and they recommend it, because it is certainly a cleaner and more refined look, but that does not mean that people necessarily listen to them. People in that price range typically have been wearing suits for decades already, and are sometimes set in their ways and just go with the more common look, but that doesn't make it any better.

And FYI, "common" is not a synonym for "refined".
Last edited by JohnnieSockran on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:05 pm

A tan suit with a blue tie can look gorgeous, but yes don't take such risks at OCI.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:06 pm

I've been very confused by the consistent use of anon throughout this thread

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:
Read it in context with my earlier reply. It is not common among those you might otherwise expect to convey a sense of British sartorial elegance (at least if you are referring to wearing neither a belt or suspenders).

Personally, I have little time for the historical class-based social-norms of the UK, so it you want to do it, I hold no objection.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:48 pm

albanach wrote:
JohnnieSockran wrote:
Read it in context with my earlier reply. It is not common among those you might otherwise expect to convey a sense of British sartorial elegance (at least if you are referring to wearing neither a belt or suspenders).

Personally, I have little time for the historical class-based social-norms of the UK, so it you want to do it, I hold no objection.
Just because it is not common does not make it unrefined, and just becasue social elite don't do it doesn't make it unrefined.

Again, it is just a cleaner look, whereas a belt kind of cuts you in half (lack of belt helps shorter people appear taller/leaner, kind of like wearing all black or vertical stripes). Again, not gaudy because many people will not even notice the difference, especially when your jacket is buttoned anyway.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm

To play it safe and conservative you should be wearing a tux with peak lapels, patent leather oxfords, and a monocle (silver, NOT gold).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”