Split Summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Split Summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:09 am

I am not interested in doing Biglaw as a career, however I am open to doing a summer associate and experiencing a firm while making some much needed summer money. On top of that, I am much more interested in doing a split summer if possible. Unfortunately, I see a lot of PI-orgs and some firms that saying things ranging from not allowing split summers at all, to "strongly discouraging" to "we'll consider on a case-by-case basis".

So what are the chances of actually pulling off a split summer when there seems to be resistance to it from both firms and nonprofits?

Anonymous User

Re: Split Summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:14 am

It is becoming less common - unless you can spend at least 7-8 weeks at each place, you won't get much out of your split. The people at my school who split their summers did so between two orgs that were related, where an experience at one could help at the other (I'm making this up - but think IP boutique for 8 weeks, and USPTO for another 8 ). PI is particularly sensitive to splits, because they already have limited resources to invest in their summer interns/associates, so they expect you to stick around and make it worth it for the org.

Anonymous User

Re: Split Summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:09 pm

It's tough to do as the other reply has mentioned. If you end up having to choose, though, consider the value your resume will gain doing unpaid PI work against the nearly $37,000 you would make as a summer associate during what is essentially a ten-week vacation. A handful of PI-focused classmates did the biglaw 2L summer route, covered some bills, and then hustled for what they really wanted after that. Mostly these were people who didn't or couldn't land the highly prestigious 2L summer PI jobs though.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”