Is Lavender Law worth going to? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is Lavender Law worth going to?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:37 pm

It's been a while since anyone talked about this on TLS and I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts about how useful/beneficial the Lavender Law career fair is for rising 2Ls. Do firms actually use this to recruit LGBT candidates, or do they just send recruiters to seem inclusive?

Anonymous User

Re: Is Lavender Law worth going to?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:37 am

I nabbed my first job out of law school at Lavender Law as a struggling 3L during the financial crisis. Outside of that, it's very helpful from a networking perspective, albeit more so if it happens to be in your home city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I nabbed my first job out of law school at Lavender Law as a struggling 3L during the financial crisis. Outside of that, it's very helpful from a networking perspective, albeit more so if it happens to be in your home city.
Could you be more specific? I'm a rising 3L going to Lav Law this August and I want to maximize my opportunity to get a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 pm

I was thinking about going to Lav Law, and I'm a rising 3L, but I hear conflicting things about whether it's worth it.
I'm bi, but firmly in the closet, because I'm still living at home to try to keep my debt down. I haven't dated anyone since like year two of undergrad. I've told a couple close friends, but my parents don't even know. I tried to tell them, and they thought I was kidding.
I don't know if it's okay for me to go, since I'm not out, or if there's any chance of getting a job from it to make it worth the risk that my family finds out where I'm going.
Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm not gay and went. It was helpful in the sense that I got to network, get my resume out and apply for jobs. Got a few callbacks but ultimately ended up getting a position through OCI. My advice would be if it's in your area or you can make it, attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was thinking about going to Lav Law, and I'm a rising 3L, but I hear conflicting things about whether it's worth it.
I'm bi, but firmly in the closet, because I'm still living at home to try to keep my debt down. I haven't dated anyone since like year two of undergrad. I've told a couple close friends, but my parents don't even know. I tried to tell them, and they thought I was kidding.
I don't know if it's okay for me to go, since I'm not out, or if there's any chance of getting a job from it to make it worth the risk that my family finds out where I'm going.
Thoughts?
OP here - I don't think you have to be "out" to go. I'm in a similar position as you (my friends know, my parents don't). Would your parents be okay with you going as an "ally" (who is also bi - but they don't need to know that)? Also the career fair is only a day - depending on how far you are from NYC you could get there and leave in the same day (though it'll be exhausting).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not gay and went. It was helpful in the sense that I got to network, get my resume out and apply for jobs. Got a few callbacks but ultimately ended up getting a position through OCI. My advice would be if it's in your area or you can make it, attend.
I don’t think you should actually attend if you’re not LGBT, but I know many people who go since it’s so easy to lie about it (unlike other things).

I went a few years ago. A lot of the actual interviewers themselves are not LGBT. A lot of firms just ask junior associates to go so that they can have their small booth showing that they support diversity.

I know people who got callbacks there, but as the person above mentioned, people who get callbacks at these events are usually going to get offers at OCI.

A firm isn’t going to just give a callback to some below median tier 2 applicant because they happen to be LGBT UNLESS you take the extra time and effort to meet with other attorneys at the event who are doing their CLEs and stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not gay and went. It was helpful in the sense that I got to network, get my resume out and apply for jobs. Got a few callbacks but ultimately ended up getting a position through OCI. My advice would be if it's in your area or you can make it, attend.
I don’t think you should actually attend if you’re not LGBT, but I know many people who go since it’s so easy to lie about it (unlike other things).

I went a few years ago. A lot of the actual interviewers themselves are not LGBT. A lot of firms just ask junior associates to go so that they can have their small booth showing that they support diversity.

I know people who got callbacks there, but as the person above mentioned, people who get callbacks at these events are usually going to get offers at OCI.

A firm isn’t going to just give a callback to some below median tier 2 applicant because they happen to be LGBT UNLESS you take the extra time and effort to meet with other attorneys at the event who are doing their CLEs and stuff.
Quoted anon here. Then I don't think LGBTQ people should go to "straight" career fairs. See how stupid that sounds.

Furthermore, I didn't lie about it at all and was quite open about how straight I was when the issue presented itself (e.g., rep asking how I came out to my then current employer). However, I did attend with several friends who were gay and they were very supportive of my being there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Quoted anon here. Then I don't think LGBTQ people should go to "straight" career fairs. See how stupid that sounds.
what is a straight career fair lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:39 pm

I've recruited numerous times at LavLaw, and I often advocate more staunchly for someone I met at the fair than someone I meet at OCIs. It's probably is not going to open doors that your grades and/or school already close to you; however, it does give you the opportunity to be face-to-face with a friendly interviewer who may be more likely to stick his or her neck out for you.

Straight students are more than welcome at LavLaw, though if I like you, I may encourage you to bid on us at your OCI. I'd rather save my professional capital for an LGBTQI student. Not a hard and fast rule, but recognize that your presence by some may be viewed as the equivalent of asking "When is Straight Pride weekend?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've recruited numerous times at LavLaw, and I often advocate more staunchly for someone I met at the fair than someone I meet at OCIs. It's probably is not going to open doors that your grades and/or school already close to you; however, it does give you the opportunity to be face-to-face with a friendly interviewer who may be more likely to stick his or her neck out for you.

Straight students are more than welcome at LavLaw, though if I like you, I may encourage you to bid on us at your OCI. I'd rather save my professional capital for an LGBTQI student. Not a hard and fast rule, but recognize that your presence by some may be viewed as the equivalent of asking "When is Straight Pride weekend?
"Straight" anon from above. I wholeheartedly understand and agree with your soft and slow rule.

theswisswereright

New

Post by theswisswereright » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've recruited numerous times at LavLaw, and I often advocate more staunchly for someone I met at the fair than someone I meet at OCIs. It's probably is not going to open doors that your grades and/or school already close to you; however, it does give you the opportunity to be face-to-face with a friendly interviewer who may be more likely to stick his or her neck out for you.

Closeted anon from above. As a recruiter, do you think it’s worth attending as a 3L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:08 pm

theswisswereright wrote:

Closeted anon from above. As a recruiter, do you think it’s worth attending as a 3L?
Tough to say. If it lands you a job, it's worth it. If it doesn't, then it may still be worth it. I'm still in contact with recruiters whom I met with umpteen years ago, and I stay in contact with numerous students whom I interviewed. That said, most firms are looking to fill their summer associate class, 3L hiring is an already unpredictable process, and you're 14 months away from bar results and practice. Go in with appropriate expectations - particularly a goal of networking - and the full conference may be worth your while. Attending only the career fair may be disappointing and fail to maximize all potential opportunities. From my perspective, gumption and hustle are rarely viewed poorly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm

The lack of enthusiasm is ITT is disappointing. Based on several threads from previous years, I thought Lav Law was highly recommended, at least for rising 2Ls. I am top 1/3 at a T1 and already booked my flight. Hopefully it's not a waste.

One question: It looks like the registration fee is $250, but it is free to members of the LGBT Bar. Student membership to the Bar costs $40. Am I missing something, or why would anyone pay the $250?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Furthermore, I didn't lie about it at all and was quite open about how straight I was when the issue presented itself (e.g., rep asking how I came out to my then current employer). However, I did attend with several friends who were gay and they were very supportive of my being there.
Sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude or judgmental. I was just saying that I know a lot of straight people who go. I just personally don’t think it’s the best look (but as another anon mentioned, it really is a split thing with some people saying it’s fine and others not being comfortable). I just personally didn’t like it because there were many closeted LGBT there and it wouldn’t be as comfortable for them and those people should feel welcome and comfortable at Lav Law since it’s actually more than just a job fair.

To other people considering going, I was asked to go this year by my firm (counts towards business development and they paid for my room, transportation, and cost). I’ve literally never done any recruitment for my firm and wasn’t specifically asked to recruit if that means anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 pm

recruiter response - top 1/3 at T1 will expand your reach through LavLaw a decent amount if you also are a good interviewer. If you're a dead fish, you're going to strike out wherever you go (with some exceptions), but the magic of LavLaw is your opportunity to make a connection with someone who will really vouch for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:46 am

Recent grad (May 2018), I'm bottom 20% (had a brain tumor in law school, found out my 3L year, all better now...probably not going to disclose that to recruiters ever) at a T25 with a couple of Fortune 500s that I summer'd at. I'm a great interviewer and hard worker despite my grades (my recommenders can attest to this!)...bold of me to ask but are interview skills, writing sample and great recommendations enough to overlook a black female's grades at Lav law? thank you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:16 pm

I got an offer last year at Lavender Law but was a 2L. It's important to go to the networking receptions and the breakout sessions and panels. That's how I landed my offer-I met someone earlier in the week at a panel and then it turns out they were the person interviewing at their firm's booth. Got a CB at the firm's office and then offer. I didn't end up at that firm but it was my second choice.

The fair is mostly geared towards 2Ls. I happened to be behind a 3L at several of the booths and overheard several firms telling him that they weren't hiring 3Ls. But that doesn't mean it's true for all firms.

So yeah- offers do happen and networking at the conference (and not just going for the career fair, if you can make it) is important.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:26 pm

I think it's worth going. I ended up getting a CB that led to an offer. I think a lot of firms are there for the right reason and not just there to check a box. While there may be non-LGBT attorneys at the fair, there are also many LGBT attorneys recruiting.

I don't think its right for non-LGBT students to attend the career fair. It's fine to attend the conference and learn about LGBT issues and how you can be a supportive ally, but it's not right to attend the career fair. The whole point is to have an environment where LGBT people can feel comfortable being who they are in an environment that is welcoming and where they can talk about being LGBT (or having a spouse or partner) in a place that won't lead to them not getting a job offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:53 pm

sorry. meant to reply to the other thread about lavender law but accidentally submitted two different things. I am same poster as the two above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Is this worth attending if I’m only interested in speaking to public interest organizations?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anonlawstudent2289

New

Post by anonlawstudent2289 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Eh. I would say probably not. There are maybe a small handful of public interest recruiters. Its mostly am law 100 firms. The website has a list of everyone who is recruiting there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Any suggestions on how to make the most of the career fair/conference (Median GPA @ T2, EIC of secondary journal, good work experience)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:49 am

Posting on here about what it was like going to the career fair as a 3L since there were a few questions on here about it:

Pretty much pointless lol. There were a bunch of firms that were like "No, sorry. Good luck." when I told them I was a 3L. One of the firms that said this to me I actually read on here the week before they no-offered a bunch of their SAs this yr so not sure what that was about. Might've dodged a bullet there.

Still, got a bunch of free swag so there's that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:07 am

Recently graduated 3L...it was worth it. Prior to the job fair, I widdled down the recruiter list down to firms/places that I knew would take entry level attorneys. I gave away about 15 resumes, I didn't interview with any V10, but definitely, V25-V100 firms that took notes and asked my preferred practice area. I'll update here if I get any cb's

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”