Job Hunting Resources for Laterals Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
worklifewhat

New

Job Hunting Resources for Laterals

Post by worklifewhat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 pm

For those of you who have successfully lateraled, what websites, search engines, apps, etc. did you use to find openings?

objctnyrhnr

Re: Job Hunting Resources for Laterals

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:04 pm

worklifewhat wrote:For those of you who have successfully lateraled, what websites, search engines, apps, etc. did you use to find openings?
LinkedIn and Glassdoor. LinkedIn was really good, but I didn’t think the charge for premium was worth it.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 am

Thank you both!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:26 am

Not for openings but networking: firm websites are 100% your friend. Go to the attorneys page, filter by your school/alma mater, and BAM you've got a set of alums+contact info who will probably respond to a cold email. This may seem obvious but I know very few people who actually take the time to do this.

Also, if the website doesn't have attorneys listed, go to LinkedIn. Search firm name and filter by alma mater. You can go to the firm website to figure out the email convention (ie is it firstname.lastnmae@xyz.com, or firstinitial.lastname, etc) by clicking around a bit - the HR contact will probably have her email up there and you can use the same format for the alums you've found on LinkedIn (people are less likely to respond to LinkedIn direct messages IMO).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not for openings but networking: firm websites are 100% your friend. Go to the attorneys page, filter by your school/alma mater, and BAM you've got a set of alums+contact info who will probably respond to a cold email. This may seem obvious but I know very few people who actually take the time to do this.

Also, if the website doesn't have attorneys listed, go to LinkedIn. Search firm name and filter by alma mater. You can go to the firm website to figure out the email convention (ie is it firstname.lastnmae@xyz.com, or firstinitial.lastname, etc) by clicking around a bit - the HR contact will probably have her email up there and you can use the same format for the alums you've found on LinkedIn (people are less likely to respond to LinkedIn direct messages IMO).
This is wonderful advice. Good luck.

Note that the gobiglaw site has a lag relatively to when the stuff is posted. You wanna be aware of it as soon as it’s posted to be discussing with network, recruiter, whatever...and get your materials in as quick as possible. I used Glassdoor and LinkedIn aps as my front line and then gobiglaw every now and then as a backup I case I missed something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not for openings but networking: firm websites are 100% your friend. Go to the attorneys page, filter by your school/alma mater, and BAM you've got a set of alums+contact info who will probably respond to a cold email. This may seem obvious but I know very few people who actually take the time to do this.

Great advice. I’m interested in-house positions which seem so hard to find. I don’t understand how litigators without 7+ years or experience ever find an in-house gig.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 am

And if this is in California, the CalBar website will normally have the attorney's email listed.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Great advice. I’m interested in-house positions which seem so hard to find. I don’t understand how litigators without 7+ years or experience ever find an in-house gig.
[Sometimes] it depends on what firm you are currently at.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”