Nametags at Firm Receptions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Nametags at Firm Receptions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 pm

I emailed a firm about their reception, but did not RSVP. Turns out they still made a nametag for me even though I couldn’t attend the event, so the nametag was left at the table all night long. Career services has told me this is major bad form. Is this something firms keep track of?

uncle_rico

New

Re: Nametags at Firm Receptions

Post by uncle_rico » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Probably lost your chance getting an offer there, hopefully they don’t notify other firms of your behavior either /s

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Some firms effectively eliminate you from consideration if you are a no-show. My friend’s firm (Proskauer) was notorious for this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some firms effectively eliminate you from consideration if you are a no-show. My friend’s firm (Proskauer) was notorious for this.
....seriously? What if they made the error, like they did in this case?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Some firms effectively eliminate you from consideration if you are a no-show. My friend’s firm (Proskauer) was notorious for this.
....seriously? What if they made the error, like they did in this case?
Just let it go - there isn't anything you can do about it now. Seriously, what is your email about it going to sound like? "I didn't actually want to show up at your reception, so don't hold my no-show against me when I apply" ? Some firms will care (especially if they had a waitlist) and others won't give a shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 pm

You guys are incredibly stupid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:02 am

Everyone in this thread is trolling. I've never heard about anyone giving a shit about left behind name tags OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:44 am

There’s nothing you can do about it now. Move on. If they have a hospitality suite find the recruiter and maybe casually mention how you were hoping to make it to the reception but *stuff happened* and how you’ve heard [FIRM] is really great. At the end of the day though it’s one firm. Can’t worry about one firm too much. There’s so many out there (assuming you’re not targeting a really secondary market that only has like 2 or 3 firms that even take Summers)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Everyone in this thread is trolling. I've never heard about anyone giving a shit about left behind name tags OP.
The HR at firms absolutely keeps track of dumb shit like this for future Rising 2Ls considering no showing to firm receptions. At least at mine they definitely do and we fill out surveys after these things where they list out everyone who was on the list for the purpose of giving feedback (if we liked or even disliked someone).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Everyone in this thread is trolling. I've never heard about anyone giving a shit about left behind name tags OP.
The HR at firms absolutely keeps track of dumb shit like this for future Rising 2Ls considering no showing to firm receptions. At least at mine they definitely do and we fill out surveys after these things where they list out everyone who was on the list for the purpose of giving feedback (if we liked or even disliked someone).
Yeah idk why people think this is a troll. My firm does the same thing. We have a small summer class in DC that is super competitive. Not showing up to an event you said you might come to? Auto ding. I’ve seen it happen. We have too many applicants to deal with already and any reason you give us to ding you will surely be used. If you want to waste our time even if it’s 30 seconds in making a name badge and not show, then don’t expect us to even read your resume. It gets trashed.

Also, like poster above, our firm does do the list thing. After events recruiting sends around a list of attendees and we can give feedback. No shows are not on said list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah idk why people think this is a troll. My firm does the same thing. We have a small summer class in DC that is super competitive. Not showing up to an event you said you might come to? Auto ding. I’ve seen it happen. We have too many applicants to deal with already and any reason you give us to ding you will surely be used. If you want to waste our time even if it’s 30 seconds in making a name badge and not show, then don’t expect us to even read your resume. It gets trashed.

Also, like poster above, our firm does do the list thing. After events recruiting sends around a list of attendees and we can give feedback. No shows are not on said list.
What is bothering me is that I didn't say I might come, I said I could not come, but was still super interested in the firm (my career services office advised me this was a good practice) This is the second time this has happened to me, so I am very frustrated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What is bothering me is that I didn't say I might come, I said I could not come, but was still super interested in the firm (my career services office advised me this was a good practice) This is the second time this has happened to me, so I am very frustrated.
Well, like multiple people have said in this thread, LET IT GO. There is NOTHING you can do about it now. Shit happens, life isn't fair.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, like multiple people have said in this thread, LET IT GO. There is NOTHING you can do about it now. Shit happens, life isn't fair.
Fer sure

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:34 am

I have 100000% skipped receptions I signed up for with those firms that "count the nametags" and received pre-OCI CBs. These are with V5s with expensive HR departments. If you can go, go, or ideally cancel with a polite email to a recruiter. But I didn't do those things. It didn't matter.

Maybe firms are more anal about it with lower-tier schools or with marginal candidates or regional offices like DC that really care about dedicated interest or something, but yah this myth that it's an "auto-ding" to skip a reception with 200 people from your school that you RSVP'd to by clicking a button the night before...lmfao, god no

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have 100000% skipped receptions I signed up for with those firms that "count the nametags" and received pre-OCI CBs. These are with V5s with expensive HR departments. If you can go, go, or ideally cancel with a polite email to a recruiter. But I didn't do those things. It didn't matter.

Maybe firms are more anal about it with lower-tier schools or with marginal candidates or regional offices like DC that really care about dedicated interest or something, but yah this myth that it's an "auto-ding" to skip a reception with 200 people from your school that you RSVP'd to by clicking a button the night before...lmfao, god no
Ok well for anyone reading this who isn’t Mr or Ms Super Impressive Rockstar V5 Candidate that all the firms are throwing themselves for like the above then I recommend showing up to receptions you RSVP’d for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have 100000% skipped receptions I signed up for with those firms that "count the nametags" and received pre-OCI CBs. These are with V5s with expensive HR departments. If you can go, go, or ideally cancel with a polite email to a recruiter. But I didn't do those things. It didn't matter.

Ok well for anyone reading this who isn’t Mr or Ms Super Impressive Rockstar V5 Candidate that all the firms are throwing themselves for like the above then I recommend showing up to receptions you RSVP’d for.
OP didn't RSVP for the reception.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I think his point is that *even V5 firms, which are the most anal, selective, and capable of tracking nametags* don't care if you skip

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think his point is that *even V5 firms, which are the most anal, selective, and capable of tracking nametags* don't care if you skip
People do notice though. It’s your chance to meet people from the firm. How serious it’s taken may depend on the firm. It’s not hard to track names, I think any halfway capable person could do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

V5s aren’t that selective for people in their school/grade range. They have big classes they gotta fill and there are only so many Yame/Colombia out there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”