Summer Associate Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Not always busy as a summer associate at a boutique litigation firm in NY (120ish atty). Have some days where I'm "billing" 7 hours, but most are around 3-5 per day or less. Is this a problem? Will I not get an offer for lack of work/available space or do you think that the attorneys don't want the extra commitment of dealing with a summer? Note that I also got good summer reviews on both fit and work product. Thanks for any help

Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:29 pm

does your firm usually "no offer" summer associates? that data should be available on vault or nalp or somewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Some years it is 6/6, some years it is 5/6. Usually only one of the 6-8 per year or everyone gets an offer. Usually, it's everybody.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some years it is 6/6, some years it is 5/6. Usually only one of the 6-8 per year or everyone gets an offer. Usually, it's everybody.
So don't stress it. You'll very likely be fine. Though, if all of the other summers are consistently billing 7-8 hours a day, maybe ask your supervisors if there's more you can be doing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 pm

Almost certainly a non-issue. Maybe a bit different because it's a boutique but firms rarely expect much in terms of billables from summers. It all gets written off anyway. I have a tendency not to give work to summers when I'm busy it just results in more work for me in the end, not less. I wouldn't assume that just because you're not billing 8 hours a day that there isn't enough work to go around. I'd LOVE to have someone who knows what they're doing to help me on my matters right now, but that is not, and never will be, a summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”