Switching from America to Israel in law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rgn122000

New

Switching from America to Israel in law

Post by rgn122000 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:16 pm

I know similar questions have been posed, but not for many years. Any advice on how to switch from American jobs to an Israel job in the law field? Any parallel fields to consider? Any advice on when is the best time to make the switch?

Anonymous User

Re: Switching from America to Israel in law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Hey,

Probably not much help, but I know of a few DLA Piper people in Tel Aviv who (based on their firm bios) made this very same jump. Probably worth shooting them an email!

Beatzlacha!

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:34 pm

I've heard it's rather easy if you come decently senior and did biglaw corporate. I recently heard of one person making the move and interviewed at 13 places and got 13 offers. if you come with 5 years experience you don't need to take the Israeli bar I think. above the law has an article about biglaw in Israel which may be helpful. the paycut is huge though, you'll me making around 70K or so there

rgn122000

New

Post by rgn122000 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:15 pm

ruski wrote:I've heard it's rather easy if you come decently senior and did biglaw corporate. I recently heard of one person making the move and interviewed at 13 places and got 13 offers. if you come with 5 years experience you don't need to take the Israeli bar I think. above the law has an article about biglaw in Israel which may be helpful. the paycut is huge though, you'll me making around 70K or so there
If you don't mind me asking, how senior do you think you would need to be?

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:28 pm

rgn122000 wrote:
ruski wrote:I've heard it's rather easy if you come decently senior and did biglaw corporate. I recently heard of one person making the move and interviewed at 13 places and got 13 offers. if you come with 5 years experience you don't need to take the Israeli bar I think. above the law has an article about biglaw in Israel which may be helpful. the paycut is huge though, you'll me making around 70K or so there
honestly not sure but i would say around 5 years. I doubt you need to be partner level. just senior enough that you get what is going on and don't need to be trained, and senior enough you can say you are actually bringing something to the table and not just some first year diligence monkey. I wouldn't be surprised if they would take a more junior lawyer though just because the biglaw docs in Israel are all in English and they need someone with a good command of the language. either way you don't want to study for the Israeli bar in Hebrew so I don't see why you would come before a fifth year anyways

rgn122000

New

Post by rgn122000 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:42 pm

ruski wrote:
rgn122000 wrote:
honestly not sure but i would say around 5 years. I doubt you need to be partner level. just senior enough that you get what is going on and don't need to be trained, and senior enough you can say you are actually bringing something to the table and not just some first year diligence monkey. I wouldn't be surprised if they would take a more junior lawyer though just because the biglaw docs in Israel are all in English and they need someone with a good command of the language. either way you don't want to study for the Israeli bar in Hebrew so I don't see why you would come before a fifth year anyways
Yeah, I plan on avoiding the bar if possible.

Do you think you need to leave from a firm or could you do firm, then in house, then Israel?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”