Follow-up with Contact at Biglaw Firm Prior to OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Follow-up with Contact at Biglaw Firm Prior to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi everyone. I want to send an email to a contact I made at a firm that I bid 3rd for OCI. I have no intention of telling my contact where I bid the firm/bring it up unprompted. I know this person after meeting them at a networking and grabbing coffee one-on-one a few weeks after the event in March. My last contact with this person is in April, where we spoke over the phone to go over my resume. I want to update this person to let them know about the journal I am now on and the externship I have for the fall, and I want to tell them about the other events I attended that were hosted by their firm. I don't want it to seem too out-of-the-blue, but also, I want them to know I have them in mind and I really love the firm. Could someone provide some pointers on crafting this email?

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Follow-up with Contact at Biglaw Firm Prior to OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone. I want to send an email to a contact I made at a firm that I bid 3rd for OCI. I have no intention of telling my contact where I bid the firm/bring it up unprompted. I know this person after meeting them at a networking and grabbing coffee one-on-one a few weeks after the event in March. My last contact with this person is in April, where we spoke over the phone to go over my resume. I want to update this person to let them know about the journal I am now on and the externship I have for the fall, and I want to tell them about the other events I attended that were hosted by their firm. I don't want it to seem too out-of-the-blue, but also, I want them to know I have them in mind and I really love the firm. Could someone provide some pointers on crafting this email?

Thank you in advance.

This is an email I sent out to a contact made in similar circumstances, that snagged me a pre-OCI interview (and an offer). Reading it back now I find it a bit cringy, but whatever - here's to full disclosure. It worked, so obviously wasn't too awful. I sent it as a reply to previous correspondence, so that even if he didn't really remember me that well, he'd have his memory jogged.

Dear *****,

I hope you are well, and the first half of 2016 has been a good one.

I'm currently a summer associate at **my 1L summer firm*** NY office, and have found the **practice group** especially compelling. Of course, that's in large part down to the personalities in the group, but the enjoyment I've found in my **** assignments has helped sharpen my focus in the lead up to OCI.

I know that **his firm*** excels in all areas, but I've heard especially good things about your **** practice. Of all the firm receptions I attended last winter, I particularly enjoyed meeting you and all of the **his firm**** associates - which certainly fits with the reputation **his firm** has for having perhaps the most genuinely friendly culture of any firm.

All of this has put **his firm*** among my top choices, and I'm looking forward very much to interviewing with your colleagues at OCI. In the mean time I wondered if you might know of anyone in ***practice group** who might have time to briefly talk to me? I'd really welcome the opportunity to explore the practice in depth before interviews.

Best regards,

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Thank you so much!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:48 pm

Follow-up question: what if this attorney is involved in the hiring process? I was told to be careful of emailing attorneys on hiring committees for non-informational interviews at this time, because of certain NALP rules that take effect around OCI. Does anyone have further insight on this?

JHP

Bronze

Postby JHP » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Follow-up question: what if this attorney is involved in the hiring process? I was told to be careful of emailing attorneys on hiring committees for non-informational interviews at this time, because of certain NALP rules that take effect around OCI. Does anyone have further insight on this?

I'm not sure what NALP rules would apply by this time. I definitely met up for coffee with people before OCI on hiring committees, both knowingly and unknowingly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Follow-up question: what if this attorney is involved in the hiring process? I was told to be careful of emailing attorneys on hiring committees for non-informational interviews at this time, because of certain NALP rules that take effect around OCI. Does anyone have further insight on this?

Uhhh what?! There’s rules saying you can’t contact people on the hiring committee before OCI?! Surely this is not true, is it?

Return to “Legal Employment?