HealthCare & Benefits for BigLaw Associates - Can I turn it down to save $$ Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rebel0203

New

HealthCare & Benefits for BigLaw Associates - Can I turn it down to save $$

Post by Rebel0203 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi,

Recent grad and starting BigLaw in the Fall. Have been in BigFinance for over 5 years, and have avoided eating into my salary by using SO's really good healthcare plan.

I know BigLaw salary seems to be "180,000" or "190,000" or some other round # right now, but i assume that your bi-weekly take-home is then chopped down significantly not just by your tax allocations but by medical/dental/vision/401k/dependent care FSA/health care savings account HCSA/transportation spending account/short-term disability etc. etc. - all those things indicative of good adulting. I have heard BigLaw health care benefits are good, but I am extremely happy with monthly payments/deductibles/coverage through SO medical plan and am not likely inclined to change once i get to a firm in the Fall.

For BigLaw veterans out there, can you refuse/elect not to participate in certain aspects of the firm's benefits package [and thus take home that much more every two weeks], or is the 100% benefits package just cooked into your salary and you cannot refuse [or if you refuse, you do not get any of your $ back). ---Thanks much

Silver

Re: HealthCare & Benefits for BigLaw Associates - Can I turn it down to save $$

Post by 2013 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 pm

It’s all elective. You can pick and choose.

Sorry, accidental anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Rebel0203 wrote:Hi,

Recent grad and starting BigLaw in the Fall. Have been in BigFinance for over 5 years, and have avoided eating into my salary by using SO's really good healthcare plan.

I know BigLaw salary seems to be "180,000" or "190,000" or some other round # right now, but i assume that your bi-weekly take-home is then chopped down significantly not just by your tax allocations but by medical/dental/vision/401k/dependent care FSA/health care savings account HCSA/transportation spending account/short-term disability etc. etc. - all those things indicative of good adulting. I have heard BigLaw health care benefits are good, but I am extremely happy with monthly payments/deductibles/coverage through SO medical plan and am not likely inclined to change once i get to a firm in the Fall.

For BigLaw veterans out there, can you refuse/elect not to participate in certain aspects of the firm's benefits package [and thus take home that much more every two weeks], or is the 100% benefits package just cooked into your salary and you cannot refuse [or if you refuse, you do not get any of your $ back). ---Thanks much
No its like normal benefits...just pay for the ones you want. I stopped paying for healthcare because my wife's job has free healthcare, and it was costing me over $500/mo for the 2 of us.

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Rebel0203 wrote:Hi,

On an unrelated note, why go into BigLaw when you have a mid stage finance career?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”