BL --> PI (with FedClerk in between) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BL --> PI (with FedClerk in between)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Current second year associate at V-15 in LA, graduated top 1/4 at T-10, will be clerking in flyover state district court (6/11/5) in order to pivot out of firms for good.

This is the last time I make a personal sacrifice for my career. While I am ecstatic to clerk, the woman of my dreams will likely leave me, my friends will continue with their lives and distance will grow, and bottom line: I want to live in LA -- nothing makes me happier than spending a morning at a coffee shop in Echo Park, followed by an afternoon stroll in the Venice canals, and a night in Hollywood. Yes, I can still do this on the weekends with my BL job, but I'm usually to effing exhausted (and that's assuming i get to take the day off).

I had previously started the threat BL --> AUSA, as that is my ultimate professional ambition. As I continue my soul searching though, I've made the decision to no longer prioritize my career (late 20's, single, not enough hobbies), point is, I want to LIVE life in LA with my friends and family, something fulfilling.

So here's the question. LA AUSA isn't happening straight out of this clerkship -- but what are my other options in LA? My dream is trial -- so something that gives me that or something close. As far as subject matter, I'm a bleeding heart, so any cause along those lines. Money-wise, I suppose govt. would be the middle ground, but I'd be open to non-profit. I honestly just want to be happy. Sitting at a desk all day working on cases that I don't give a rat's ass about (like i felt no emotional reaction when the case I've been working on for the past year settled with a negative result).

I would also like to keep the AUSA door open for down the line, but to the extent it would require sacrifice on my personal life, I just won't do it.

I've been on TLS since 2009, and have always appreciated the advice--whether or not it was something i wanted to hear-- y'all are a great community.

Now, it's time for me to find happiness.

objctnyrhnr

Re: BL --> PI (with FedClerk in between)

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Current second year associate at V-15 in LA, graduated top 1/4 at T-10, will be clerking in flyover state district court (6/11/5) in order to pivot out of firms for good.

This is the last time I make a personal sacrifice for my career. While I am ecstatic to clerk, the woman of my dreams will likely leave me, my friends will continue with their lives and distance will grow, and bottom line: I want to live in LA -- nothing makes me happier than spending a morning at a coffee shop in Echo Park, followed by an afternoon stroll in the Venice canals, and a night in Hollywood. Yes, I can still do this on the weekends with my BL job, but I'm usually to effing exhausted (and that's assuming i get to take the day off).

I had previously started the threat BL --> AUSA, as that is my ultimate professional ambition. As I continue my soul searching though, I've made the decision to no longer prioritize my career (late 20's, single, not enough hobbies), point is, I want to LIVE life in LA with my friends and family, something fulfilling.

So here's the question. LA AUSA isn't happening straight out of this clerkship -- but what are my other options in LA? My dream is trial -- so something that gives me that or something close. As far as subject matter, I'm a bleeding heart, so any cause along those lines. Money-wise, I suppose govt. would be the middle ground, but I'd be open to non-profit. I honestly just want to be happy. Sitting at a desk all day working on cases that I don't give a rat's ass about (like i felt no emotional reaction when the case I've been working on for the past year settled with a negative result).

I would also like to keep the AUSA door open for down the line, but to the extent it would require sacrifice on my personal life, I just won't do it.

I've been on TLS since 2009, and have always appreciated the advice--whether or not it was something i wanted to hear-- y'all are a great community.

Adas in CA make solid money, and this would propel you towards ausa and not kill your free time.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Current second year associate at V-15 in LA, graduated top 1/4 at T-10, will be clerking in flyover state district court (6/11/5) in order to pivot out of firms for good.

Why not PD? In cali they make great money. Idk why you want ausa for trial. You’d try a lot more cases as a da or pd. I think ausa is the most overrated job that people with good grades want. But that’s just my opinion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:

Why not PD? In cali they make great money. Idk why you want ausa for trial. You’d try a lot more cases as a da or pd. I think ausa is the most overrated job that people with good grades want. But that’s just my opinion.
Good advice if you're really focused on trial and don't care about the *type* of matters you're working on. For the guys who want to bounce back and forth from BigLaw to government though (ie the prestige snobs), AUSA (or SEC) may be more valuable just because it's usually the feds who have jurisdiction over the matters you'd be working on at your cushy firm gig. Think like BSA, FCPA, 10(b)(5), etc. Now that said...most of that stuff isn't making it to trial.

OP, I'd also look at state AG's office. Pays OK in California, smart people, interesting work, etc. Kind of a sweet middle ground between DA and AUSA.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:26 am

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

Good advice if you're really focused on trial and don't care about the *type* of matters you're working on. For the guys who want to bounce back and forth from BigLaw to government though (ie the prestige snobs), AUSA (or SEC) may be more valuable just because it's usually the feds who have jurisdiction over the matters you'd be working on at your cushy firm gig. Think like BSA, FCPA, 10(b)(5), etc. Now that said...most of that stuff isn't making it to trial.

OP, I'd also look at state AG's office. Pays OK in California, smart people, interesting work, etc. Kind of a sweet middle ground between DA and AUSA.
And even the guns and drugs section seems boring to me. You plead out everyone and likely have no discretion on sentencing during this administration. Further, if you do get a trial, it will likely just be a trial over possession or distribution of drugs. Not the most complicating or interesting subject matter, IMO. DAs/PDs on the other hand get to try major felonies like homicide, assault, etc. Seems way more fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:54 am

Every trial is interesting in its own way, regardless of how complicated it is. Every trial requires putting together a narrative, prepping witnesses, and creating exhibits. A lot of the issues aren’t different regardless of the underlying offense - what is your evidence and how do you get it admitted. Just because the facts aren’t as dramatic doesn’t mean the process is especially different. And the feds frequently get more time to prep than at the state level.

(But yeah, ADAs/PDs are going to *go* to trial way more often.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:38 pm

OP here:

ADA would be my dream gig -- particularly LA (since i need to live there). i interviewed with OCDA and got dinged for lack of trial experience ... that was before clerking, any office-specific tips?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”