I have too much downtime with nothing to do at my summer job. What can I do to be productive during that time? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I have too much downtime with nothing to do at my summer job. What can I do to be productive during that time?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:02 pm

There is so little work to go around at my 1L summer job that I find myself sitting around doing nothing and browsing the Internet aimlessly most of the time, even after asking for work. I’d like to do something productive and legal-related during this time.

I was considering writing an essay/note/article about a legal topic relevant to the work my employer does. What are some other possible options?

Anonymous User

Re: I have too much downtime with nothing to do at my summer job. What can I do to be productive during that time?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:28 pm

This summer I am working at my state's highest court and, recently, I found myself in a similar situation. At first the work flow was good and I was sufficiently busy from 9-4:30, but starting last week the work flow basically stopped. I asked if there were any issues predicted to come before the court in the coming months/years and if it would be helpful to write a study memo basically summarizing the law as it stands in the Summer of 2018. Who knows if it will be used in the future, but the staff attorney is giving me solid feedback and I have something productive to do! I don't know if you are working in a judicial chambers, but if you are, then you might try this.

Anonymous User

Re: I have too much downtime with nothing to do at my summer job. What can I do to be productive during that time?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Polish your resume, cover letter and work on getting your 2l job. That is what I did my 1l summer when I had massive down time.

mecarey

New

Post by mecarey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Do you qualify for the patent bar? Study up!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I’d like to do something productive and legal-related during this time.
Why?

Network and start having lunches/coffee with people at firms you'd want to work for during 2L summer. It's also a free lunch/coffee...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 pm

You’ve got non-equity partner written all over you, kid.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Go bang on doors and find work. That's what I did when I was twiddling my thumbs at my 1L (that turned into a full-time job for the rest of law school). Before long, I had the opposite problem.

Now's the best time to learn to hustle when you need work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”