Which firms have open office concept (no assigned offices) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which firms have open office concept (no assigned offices)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Have a few questions about how it works

Anonymous User

Re: Which firms have open office concept (no assigned offices)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:14 am

That sounds absolutely horrific.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 am

i know there are a few firms out there that have it...

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have a few questions about how it works
Spoiler alert: it doesn't.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:52 am

As I look around at how much shit I’ve acquired in the nearly four years that I’ve been at my firm, I can’t imagine why anyone would ever think that an open concept would be ideal for a law firm.
Last edited by worklifewhat on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:56 am

Anyone know the names of any firms that have this terrible open office concept?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the names of any firms that have this terrible open office concept?
Latham & Paul Hastings in NY, White & Case I believe shifting that way also

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:00 am

So like, can you hang stuff up in your office? Store things there overnight? I don't get it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:So like, can you hang stuff up in your office? Store things there overnight? I don't get it
These firms usually have locker rooms for you to change into your work uniform and store your essentials (phone/key/wallet, etc).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So like, can you hang stuff up in your office? Store things there overnight? I don't get it
These firms usually have locker rooms for you to change into your work uniform and store your essentials (phone/key/wallet, etc).
is this serious? What if I want to decorate my space? Family pictures etc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
is this serious? What if I want to decorate my space? Family pictures etc?
What office? You and the other associates gather a couple times a year to decorate the communal space

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am

From what I’ve heard, some firms are considering moving to the hoteling scheme that the accounting firms use. Then the firms have to pay less $$$ for empty offices and it’s like hunger games when you look for seats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:06 am

White & Case NY has it for our operations and marketing type friends plus the chair. Definitely will not be remodeling the new office anytime soon to make anyone else do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I’ve heard, some firms are considering moving to the hoteling scheme that the accounting firms use. Then the firms have to pay less $$$ for empty offices and it’s like hunger games when you look for seats.
Yeah, everyone I know who works for a Big4 firm that uses that system hates it with a passion. Some even do it for partners, and they hate it too.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Cooley NY is doing it and it's horrendous.

Also horrendous: firms who have transparent staircases or stairs w/huge gaps between steps--the ladies know why.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 pm

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have a few questions about how it works
Spoiler alert: it doesn't.
This. Ask me how I know. :roll:

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:41 pm

JHP wrote:Cooley NY is doing it and it's horrendous.

Also horrendous: firms who have transparent staircases or stairs w/huge gaps between steps--the ladies know why.

What's about as bad as open plan are glass cubicles, which inspire a different level of existential dread. Simpson has these.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NDOMUKONGGGG

New

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Hey if any of you actually currently work in an open office (or have) could you PM me? Just have a few questions about how it works.

NDOMUKONGGGG

New

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 pm

^^ accidental anon, obviously

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey if any of you actually currently work in an open office (or have) could you PM me? Just have a few questions about how it works.
nealric wrote: Spoiler alert: it doesn't.
Also, nobody is able to PM you, so you may as well ask on this thread.

NDOMUKONGGGG

New

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:09 am

Oh yeah, thanks. I just want to know if I can store stuff overnight there? Like if I have papers spread out and shit do I have to clean up? What if I want to hang a picture of my kid up? Decorate my office?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:59 am

First, not every open office is the same. Some are doing the hotelling model (nothing allowed on the desk, nowhere to put a picture).

Our open office model gives us assigned 6'x3' desks in 6x2 blocks with 12" separators on the sides and a 24" tackboard divider on the back of the desk. My desk is a cluttered mess of loose leaf tea, business cards, paper notes, my briefcase, mugs and cups, etc. I hang my lunchbox from the arm of my chair because there's no other convenient place for it. I've been meaning to bring a picture of my family in.

We also have lockers (maybe 2'x2'x2'), but I use mine for storing extra cutlery for when I host department breakfasts every couple weeks. Some stick their purses in there or their briefcases. I find it rather inconvenient to store anything that gets used in there. There's a coatrack at the end of the row of desks for rainy days like today.

The ambiance is nice enough. I sit 15 feet from a window, so there's plenty of natural light. The ceiling is high and the walls are bright, so it doesn't feel claustrophobic despite there being 5 people nearly within arm's reach. They pump in white noise so that conversations don't carry as much and so that the clicks and taps of keyboards don't drive everybody nuts. Most people put headphones on all day.

Most of us take non-confidential calls at our desks, and it's really not a bother. There are some folks who are a bit loud, but the ambient noise dampens that issue. Sometimes, if there are groups of people having conversations, the ambient noise is too loud to hear one's phone call properly, but some of that may be that my hearing isn't the best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:02 am

That sucks. Sounds like the shittiness of Silicon-valley inspired open-office concepts with none of the perks (free meals, climbing walls, big couches).

NDOMUKONGGGG

New

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:28 am

totesTheGoat wrote:First, not every open office is the same. Some are doing the hotelling model (nothing allowed on the desk, nowhere to put a picture).

Our open office model gives us assigned 6'x3' desks in 6x2 blocks with 12" separators on the sides and a 24" tackboard divider on the back of the desk. My desk is a cluttered mess of loose leaf tea, business cards, paper notes, my briefcase, mugs and cups, etc. I hang my lunchbox from the arm of my chair because there's no other convenient place for it. I've been meaning to bring a picture of my family in.

We also have lockers (maybe 2'x2'x2'), but I use mine for storing extra cutlery for when I host department breakfasts every couple weeks. Some stick their purses in there or their briefcases. I find it rather inconvenient to store anything that gets used in there. There's a coatrack at the end of the row of desks for rainy days like today.

The ambiance is nice enough. I sit 15 feet from a window, so there's plenty of natural light. The ceiling is high and the walls are bright, so it doesn't feel claustrophobic despite there being 5 people nearly within arm's reach. They pump in white noise so that conversations don't carry as much and so that the clicks and taps of keyboards don't drive everybody nuts. Most people put headphones on all day.

Most of us take non-confidential calls at our desks, and it's really not a bother. There are some folks who are a bit loud, but the ambient noise dampens that issue. Sometimes, if there are groups of people having conversations, the ambient noise is too loud to hear one's phone call properly, but some of that may be that my hearing isn't the best.
ugg that sounds... like it would take some getting used to. Is this an NYC biglaw firm you're talking about?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 pm

NDOMUKONGGGG wrote: Is this an NYC biglaw firm you're talking about?
No, I'm in-house at a silicon valley company.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”