Cornell 2018 AJF Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cornell 2018 AJF

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: They don't need to be alike though. Someone who doesn't know if they want to do lit, restructuring, m&a or private equity, for example, can point to four firms who are very different and are independently the top of the field in each of those.
this is like saying someone who doesn't know what they want to do should hold on to their Simpson Thacher offer as well as their Schulte Roth offer because they don't know if they want to do hedge fund work.

I doubt the person who has a Simpson offer would even bother applying to Schultes.
lol....my work is done here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: They don't need to be alike though. Someone who doesn't know if they want to do lit, restructuring, m&a or private equity, for example, can point to four firms who are very different and are independently the top of the field in each of those.
this is like saying someone who doesn't know what they want to do should hold on to their Simpson Thacher offer as well as their Schulte Roth offer because they don't know if they want to do hedge fund work.

I doubt the person who has a Simpson offer would even bother applying to Schultes.
lol....my work is done here.
Would you really give up five V15 offers if you had them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 pm

If you’re interested in doing corporate work in NY and have good grades, I think it’s reasonable to end up with more than 5 offers. You’ll likely be applying and getting offers from a good portion of V10 firms and those just outside, and it will ultimately come down to fit which will require you to meet all those firms and possibly do second looks at many of them. After that in depth look you’ll have to decide whether you really care about the prestige and are willing to work much more at Cravath for the same pay at another top form but not as prestigious such as Weil/Latham for example. This doesn’t even consider all the firms in between that are pretty much two sides of the same coin like Davis Polk and Simpson. While I definitely agree that you shouldn’t be holding onto your Wilkie offer when you have Simpson (unless you really love Wilkie and are genuinely considering them), I don’t think that’s too indicative of why people would hold several offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Back to some real questions. Has anyone seen any open interviews since the open slot period? If not, when do the interview slots that are cancelled by people with offers open up and appear on symplicity?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Back to some real questions. Has anyone seen any open interviews since the open slot period? If not, when do the interview slots that are cancelled by people with offers open up and appear on symplicity?
They aren't doing anymore open slots this year

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Back to some real questions. Has anyone seen any open interviews since the open slot period? If not, when do the interview slots that are cancelled by people with offers open up and appear on symplicity?
They aren't doing anymore open slots this year
I doubt when someone backs out of 15 interviews because they have an offer that those slots just disappear

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are people doing with pre-OCI? It seems that a lot of people I know are going into AJF with an offer

most people I've spoken to about it are going in with multiple offers. Of course, those without haven't been as open and vocal about discussing things so it's hard to tell. Can think of about 10 people off the top of my head with at least one offer atm, median grades all the way up to top 10% with v60 - v10 firms involved.
Going into OCI with 5 offers. Above median grades but nothing special.
doesn't this violate a NALP rule
I believe the limit is five. But let me rephrase. I have been extended 5 offers prior to OCI. Dropped the ones I am no longer considering
Are the offers coming from the firm you are going to have a screener?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are people doing with pre-OCI? It seems that a lot of people I know are going into AJF with an offer

most people I've spoken to about it are going in with multiple offers. Of course, those without haven't been as open and vocal about discussing things so it's hard to tell. Can think of about 10 people off the top of my head with at least one offer atm, median grades all the way up to top 10% with v60 - v10 firms involved.
I believe the limit is five. But let me rephrase. I have been extended 5 offers prior to OCI. Dropped the ones I am no longer considering
why would they do a screener with a firm they have an offer from

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

why would they do a screener with a firm they have an offer from
Sorry for the confusion. What I mean is that they bid the firm and then reached out to the firm and obtained an offer pre-oci.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Sorry for the confusion. What I mean is that they bid the firm and then reached out to the firm and obtained an offer pre-oci.
Not the original anon, but I canceled a few screeners at AJF for firms that I ended up interviewing with early but after bids were already due

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Sorry for the confusion. What I mean is that they bid the firm and then reached out to the firm and obtained an offer pre-oci.
Not the original anon, but I canceled a few screeners at AJF for firms that I ended up interviewing with early but after bids were already due

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
May i ask the rank of the firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Different anon from both above. Have several offers, cancelled interviews with NY offices all the way up to v15 or so. Kept all my v10 ones. Cancelled almost 10 screeners so there should be loads of open spots to pick up at hospitality suites.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Different anon from both above. Have several offers, cancelled interviews with NY offices all the way up to v15 or so. Kept all my v10 ones. Cancelled almost 10 screeners so there should be loads of open spots to pick up at hospitality suites.
Original anon but this is pretty much my exact same scenario

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 am

Recent grad from class of 2018 here: Please stop emailing people with no questions or anything just to get your name out there. It doesn't leave a good impression, you just seem like a gunner and if you do, make sure its formatted and grammar is correct. I almost forwarded an email I got to a recruiter because it was so bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:14 am

Good luck to everyone!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Sitting on 0 callbacks. Anyone?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:05 pm

0 as well :/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Kasowitz CB (NK)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Sull crom, Simpson

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sull crom, Simpson
Who was the sull crom interviewer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Clifford (LE) Latham (DR)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Clifford (LE) Latham (DR)
DPW callback

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sull crom, Simpson
Who was the Simpson interviewer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Clifford (LE) Latham (DR)
DPW callback
Who was the DPW interviewer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”