Cornell 2018 AJF Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cornell 2018 AJF

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it just Law review's calls or ILJ and JLPP are also starting to give calls?
Last year all three journals made calls on the same day.
Do you get calls from all journals you're accepted to? Or just your top ranked choice that accepted you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it just Law review's calls or ILJ and JLPP are also starting to give calls?
Do they just leave a voicemail if you don't pick up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ok, I am having panic attacks. How about people who, say, both LR and ILJ sent an offer, and that people takes LR's offer. Isn't this would create a slot in ILJ? If all of the invitations were sent at the same time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ok, I am having panic attacks. How about people who, say, both LR and ILJ sent an offer, and that people takes LR's offer. Isn't this would create a slot in ILJ? If all of the invitations were sent at the same time.
You need to relaaaaaaax. Journal is so irrelevant anyway. Easy to get an offer without one and realistically that's all it's important for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You need to relaaaaaaax. Journal is so irrelevant anyway. Easy to get an offer without one and realistically that's all it's important for.
But many firms "prefer" journal experience, and judging by the posts from other schools, they find people without journal has a higher chance of not having an offer. I know correlation does not equal causation; it's just psychologically easier if I can have one.
That being said, I did not put much effort in the writing competition, so sort of know this from the beginning. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
But many firms "prefer" journal experience, and judging by the posts from other schools, they find people without journal has a higher chance of not having an offer. I know correlation does not equal causation; it's just psychologically easier if I can have one.
That being said, I did not put much effort in the writing competition, so sort of know this from the beginning. :)
Many firms prefer a 3.95 too. I'm just saying, chill, it really isn't a big deal. You're at Cornell and will get a job from AJF unless you're a complete and utter weirdo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Many firms prefer a 3.95 too. I'm just saying, chill, it really isn't a big deal. You're at Cornell and will get a job from AJF unless you're a complete and utter weirdo.
Right, thanks. Focus on interview preparation then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's all of them. If you didn't get a call, you likely didn't get on a journal :?
This is fake news. Whoever is behind this should back off and not repeat this behavior. The journals have not even finalized their lists.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ye, definitely focus on interview prep. My friend already has like 4 pre AJF offers because he has just learned to be an amazing interviewer and he only has a 3.3, so bang at median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This may be anecdotal, but I know a guy who got a V10 offer just by finishing Top 4 in Moot Court, no journal and below median. He's not even that charismatic, so just be able to point to something you're good at and sets you apart from everyone else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm

This may be anecdotal, but I know a guy who got a V10 offer just by finishing Top 4 in Moot Court, no journal and below median. He's not even that charismatic, so just be able to point to something you're good at and sets you apart from everyone else.[/quote]

Anecdotal, but I also heard the same thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may be anecdotal, but I know a guy who got a V10 offer just by finishing Top 4 in Moot Court, no journal and below median. He's not even that charismatic, so just be able to point to something you're good at and sets you apart from everyone else.
Anecdotal, but I also heard the same thing.[/quote]

what year was this? seems a bit more competitive right now than it being that easy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This may be anecdotal, but I know a guy who got a V10 offer just by finishing Top 4 in Moot Court, no journal and below median. He's not even that charismatic, so just be able to point to something you're good at and sets you apart from everyone else.

what year was this? seems a bit more competitive right now than it being that easy?[/quote]

2004. An old Alumni friend of mine

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what year was this? seems a bit more competitive right now than it being that easy?
2004. An old Alumni friend of mine[/quote]

Oh wow! Do you think you could put him in touch with me? I'm in a similar boat, where I didn't do too well, but I think I have a convincing story to tell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Just got the law review rejection email. Probably going to strike out now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the law review rejection email. Probably going to strike out now.
stop.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 pm

According to the LR rejection email, the other journals are still finalizing their decisions. So still hope?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:According to the LR rejection email, the other journals are still finalizing their decisions. So still hope?
My friend just received a call from ILJ so apparently the secondary journals calls are out too.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Hey what’s up guys and gals. I’m a former cornellian and an associate at a v10 in NYC, happy to give any advice people may want to know. A few things to keep in mind:

1) journals matter for clerkships but not much for AJF in my experience. Don’t worry about it and don’t be defensive if it comes up in an interview

2) don’t worry so much about vault ratings. Nobody cares in the actual profession. It doesn’t even correlate to exit options, because vault doesn’t really even track preftige among lawyers. If you know who a firm’s clients are and where their partners came from (SDNY USAO, e.g.) you know a bit about exit options

3) Things that will affect your day to day life are whether a firm has an hours minimum for bonuses below 1900 (or at all) and whether the firm has chill partners and associates. You can learn some of this from talking to current cornellians at the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Anyone got a decision from JLPP for the write-on application?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone got a decision from JLPP for the write-on application?
Yep, know someone got in JLPP last Friday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Can't stress this enough but don't count yourselves out because of your GPA or lack of a journal. If you can talk to people like a normal person, you WILL get a job. Even if you aren't good at it, work on it up until AJF. Mock interview like hell. Go somewhere social and talk to folks. If you're really introverted, like I am, get in the habit of striking conversation and push your boundaries some. I remember warming up for AJF mornings by starting conversations with random patrons at Starbucks. In between interviews, I just kept my social inertia going by talking with friends and joking with the random families you inevitably run into in the hotel elevators.

AJF/OCI is probably the only career interview experience where interviewees aren't really being interviewed on their professional knowledge. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was be able to tell a story for every line on resume, or at least the obvious things you'll be asked about. Practice it on friends or in mock interviews until its natural/second nature. Think of your interviews as brief conversations. Don't just answer your interviewer's questions. If an interviewer tries to relate to something you said, keep the conversation going and be personable!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:52 am

How are people doing with pre-OCI? It seems that a lot of people I know are going into AJF with an offer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are people doing with pre-OCI? It seems that a lot of people I know are going into AJF with an offer

most people I've spoken to about it are going in with multiple offers. Of course, those without haven't been as open and vocal about discussing things so it's hard to tell. Can think of about 10 people off the top of my head with at least one offer atm, median grades all the way up to top 10% with v60 - v10 firms involved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are people doing with pre-OCI? It seems that a lot of people I know are going into AJF with an offer

most people I've spoken to about it are going in with multiple offers. Of course, those without haven't been as open and vocal about discussing things so it's hard to tell. Can think of about 10 people off the top of my head with at least one offer atm, median grades all the way up to top 10% with v60 - v10 firms involved.
Going into OCI with 5 offers. Above median grades but nothing special.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”