Cornell 2018 AJF Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cornell 2018 AJF

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are people doing with pre-OCI? It seems that a lot of people I know are going into AJF with an offer

most people I've spoken to about it are going in with multiple offers. Of course, those without haven't been as open and vocal about discussing things so it's hard to tell. Can think of about 10 people off the top of my head with at least one offer atm, median grades all the way up to top 10% with v60 - v10 firms involved.
Going into OCI with 5 offers. Above median grades but nothing special.
doesn't this violate a NALP rule

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are people doing with pre-OCI? It seems that a lot of people I know are going into AJF with an offer

most people I've spoken to about it are going in with multiple offers. Of course, those without haven't been as open and vocal about discussing things so it's hard to tell. Can think of about 10 people off the top of my head with at least one offer atm, median grades all the way up to top 10% with v60 - v10 firms involved.
You violate a NALP rule (no - max is 5).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I believe the limit is five. But let me rephrase. I have been extended 5 offers prior to OCI. Dropped the ones I am no longer considering

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I believe the limit is five. But let me rephrase. I have been extended 5 offers prior to OCI. Dropped the ones I am no longer considering
:D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How is this enforced? I already have some offers and am waiting to hear back on more callbacks. Although it's unlikely I'll receive offers from all the ones I'm waiting on, if I did I would be over the limit. This is the first I've heard about the rule

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How is this enforced? I already have some offers and am waiting to hear back on more callbacks. Although it's unlikely I'll receive offers from all the ones I'm waiting on, if I did I would be over the limit. This is the first I've heard about the rule
it probably can't really be enforced. but regardless, why be an ass and hold that many offers? there is never a good reason to hold more than 2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

it probably can't really be enforced. but regardless, why be an ass and hold that many offers? there is never a good reason to hold more than 2.
I personally disagree but oh well. I think that it's extremely hard to differentiate between the firms especially when you're not sure what area you want to practice. I figured it was better to eliminate firms once I have all my offers and then do second looks based on the ones that I can't separate

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I mean that's just not true. I can think of a bunch of reasons. Still not sure about more than one factor and you're already set at 4 firms. For example, deciding between LA and NYC and deciding between corp and lit. You've got La lit, La corp, NY lit, NY corp to decide between.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Um I heard Davis Polk already filled their entire 2019 summer class with pr-OCI offers

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are these offers from firms or judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Um I heard Davis Polk already filled their entire 2019 summer class with pr-OCI offers
I just emailed about dropping my screener since I don't want to waste my time if the class is already full. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are these offers from firms or judges?
At what point have we discussed judges in this thread or indeed any other thread in terms of pre-oci offers? Stop trolling. Obviously firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Um I heard Davis Polk already filled their entire 2019 summer class with pr-OCI offers
I just emailed about dropping my screener since I don't want to waste my time if the class is already full. Thanks for the tip.
That was obviously a joke. People need to stop freaking out on this anonymous forum.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Uh this is obviously a joke. People need to chill out on this anonymous forum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That was obviously a joke. People need to stop freaking out on this anonymous forum.
Funny how you're able to figure out that the first comment was a joke, but not the second.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Funny how you're able to figure out that the first comment was a joke, but not the second.
Rullophs or Moonies?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Practicing lawyer here.

For the record, holding on to more than 5 offers at any given time makes you a bad person. Firms are hesitant to extend more offers out when they already have several offers outstanding from students at the same school (or students in general).

By holding on to offers from firms that you know you won't go to/are almost surely not going to go to, you're weakening your classmates' chances at receiving an offer.

I don't remember anyone in my class year being selfish like that, but maybe things have changed since we hired a new Admissions Dean.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 pm

Telling someone that it's only a good idea to hold 2 is crazy. I don't think there's anything wrong with holding onto 4-5 offers at any one time. Hell, even 6. But going into OCI with 5 already in hand and knowing that you'll probably not going to end up accepting that Wilkie Farr corporate dep't offer with Cravath and Simpson Thacher offers in hand and 16 other upcoming screener interviews is pretty shitty

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Telling someone that it's only a good idea to hold 2 is crazy. I don't think there's anything wrong with holding onto 4-5 offers at any one time. Hell, even 6. But going into OCI with 5 already in hand and knowing that you'll probably not going to end up accepting that Wilkie Farr corporate dep't offer with Cravath and Simpson Thacher offers in hand and 16 other upcoming screener interviews is pretty shitty
lol no. only a dumbass wouldn't be able to decide which 2 firms they'd prefer out of 5, and you're a bad person if you hold more than 3 at once.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Practicing lawyer here.

For the record, holding on to more than 5 offers at any given time makes you a bad person. Firms are hesitant to extend more offers out when they already have several offers outstanding from students at the same school (or students in general).

By holding on to offers from firms that you know you won't go to/are almost surely not going to go to, you're weakening your classmates' chances at receiving an offer.

I don't remember anyone in my class year being selfish like that, but maybe things have changed since we hired a new Admissions Dean.
This is moot if we're including unpaid internships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Telling someone that it's only a good idea to hold 2 is crazy. I don't think there's anything wrong with holding onto 4-5 offers at any one time. Hell, even 6. But going into OCI with 5 already in hand and knowing that you'll probably not going to end up accepting that Wilkie Farr corporate dep't offer with Cravath and Simpson Thacher offers in hand and 16 other upcoming screener interviews is pretty shitty
lol no. only a dumbass wouldn't be able to decide which 2 firms they'd prefer out of 5, and you're a bad person if you hold more than 3 at once.
This is so salty. Stop hating on people being successful. Firms give offers out in MULTIPLES of their class size. Holding on to an offer will have absolutely NO impact on you. And with all due respect to you and the practicing lawyer above, we all came to law school to get ourselves a job. I didn't come to law school so that you could get a job. We all want to make sure we are going to the right firm for ourselves. Everyone needs to stop being so concerned with everyone else's business and just make the best of what you have. JEEEEEZUS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is so salty. Stop hating on people being successful. Firms give offers out in MULTIPLES of their class size. Holding on to an offer will have absolutely NO impact on you. And with all due respect to you and the practicing lawyer above, we all came to law school to get ourselves a job. I didn't come to law school so that you could get a job. We all want to make sure we are going to the right firm for ourselves. Everyone needs to stop being so concerned with everyone else's business and just make the best of what you have. JEEEEEZUS
you're dumb. my point is that there is absolutely no reason to hold more than 3, and probably 2, offers. are you really so dumb/indecisive that you can't choose your 2 top firms if you're holding 5 offers? any competent law student should be able to choose 2 that they'd prefer over the other 3. 5 firms can't all be so alike that you can't strike some out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
you're dumb. my point is that there is absolutely no reason to hold more than 3, and probably 2, offers. are you really so dumb/indecisive that you can't choose your 2 top firms if you're holding 5 offers? any competent law student should be able to choose 2 that they'd prefer over the other 3. 5 firms can't all be so alike that you can't strike some out.
They don't need to be alike though. Someone who doesn't know if they want to do lit, restructuring, m&a or private equity, for example, can point to four firms who are very different and are independently the top of the field in each of those. Throw in white collar work why don't you and hey that's another. Not sure if you want to be in NYC or LA? Well damn, the top M&A firm only has a NY office, so now even if you want M&A you might need to add in another firm to the mix. It's just such a ridiculous thing to assume that every single one of us knows exactly what we want going into AJF. Sounds like you do know what you want and would be able to narrow it down to just 2 firms, good for you. Not everyone has done that yet or is capable of doing that yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote: They don't need to be alike though. Someone who doesn't know if they want to do lit, restructuring, m&a or private equity, for example, can point to four firms who are very different and are independently the top of the field in each of those.
this is like saying someone who doesn't know what they want to do should hold on to their Simpson Thacher offer as well as their Schulte Roth offer because they don't know if they want to do hedge fund work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: They don't need to be alike though. Someone who doesn't know if they want to do lit, restructuring, m&a or private equity, for example, can point to four firms who are very different and are independently the top of the field in each of those.
this is like saying someone who doesn't know what they want to do should hold on to their Simpson Thacher offer as well as their Schulte Roth offer because they don't know if they want to do hedge fund work.

I doubt the person who has a Simpson offer would even bother applying to Schultes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”