Cornell 2018 AJF Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cornell 2018 AJF

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:52 am

Anyone have insight on when we'll hear about journals?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have insight on when we'll hear about journals?
I’m pretty sure we find out next week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Can I reach out to lawyers who are in a group that i am interested in but did not attend Cornell law nor Cornell undergrad? Or should I reach out to the recruiting people asking for an informational meeting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can I reach out to lawyers who are in a group that i am interested in but did not attend Cornell law nor Cornell undergrad? Or should I reach out to the recruiting people asking for an informational meeting?
Is your goal to land an early interview or to actually speak with associates at the firm? If you're hoping to land an early interview I'd suggest just sending recruiting your transcript, resume, and cover letter and saying that you wanted to give them your application materials prior to AJF or saying that you unfortunately didn't get them through bidding and would still like to interview. When first reaching out to firms I tried to ask to be connected to associates and these didn't turn into early interviews. But ever since being more direct, I've batted almost 100% on interview invites.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can I reach out to lawyers who are in a group that i am interested in but did not attend Cornell law nor Cornell undergrad? Or should I reach out to the recruiting people asking for an informational meeting?
Is your goal to land an early interview or to actually speak with associates at the firm? If you're hoping to land an early interview I'd suggest just sending recruiting your transcript, resume, and cover letter and saying that you wanted to give them your application materials prior to AJF or saying that you unfortunately didn't get them through bidding and would still like to interview. When first reaching out to firms I tried to ask to be connected to associates and these didn't turn into early interviews. But ever since being more direct, I've batted almost 100% on interview invites.
Hi, thank you for the tips. I am reaching out so that I have something to say during OCI. By the way, are you suggesting that I first reach out to associates at the firm and then email my materials to the recruitment indicating that I have contacted people at the firm and expressing an interest of an early interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What's been the general ranking range of the firms you've gotten pre-AJF interview invites at?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hi, thank you for the tips. I am reaching out so that I have something to say during OCI. By the way, are you suggesting that I first reach out to associates at the firm and then email my materials to the recruitment indicating that I have contacted people at the firm and expressing an interest of an early interview?
I personally don’t think that reaching out to associates is necessary but that’s just my opinion based on the fact that I didn’t yet got interview invites since pre-OCI seems pretty prevalent this summer. My emails pretty much just said that given my interest in the firm I wanted to provide my materials in advance. I didn’t explicitly ask for an interview but they understand that you want to interview early. I will say as a caveat that I did fairly well this year so I’m sure that has helped.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What's been the general ranking range of the firms you've gotten pre-AJF interview invites at?
Half of the “new” V10 and one just outside. I haven’t really applied to others further down the vault rankings given my practice area interest so I can’t really say what other firms are doing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Half of the “new” V10 and one just outside. I haven’t really applied to others further down the vault rankings given my practice area interest so I can’t really say what other firms are doing
Pre AJF with V10 all the way down to unranked. Literally everyone is doing it other than like Wachtell it seems.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pre AJF with V10 all the way down to unranked. Literally everyone is doing it other than like Wachtell it seems.
I had 6 pre-AJF interviews my year with firms all the way down to V30. It's to the point that you should be mass mailing as many firms as you can that you didn't get through the bidding process. Its the new norm for firm hiring. My firm started early interviews the second week of June. If you know any summers or associates reach out to them with intelligent questions about the firm. If you can get them to talk to recruiting it might be a slam dunk right to a call back. I know my firm asks summers if they knew of anyone to bring in. I imagine its common place at other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Have Law Review Calls gone out yet today?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have Law Review Calls gone out yet today?
From what I can tell, no

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:48 am

So...... these law review decisions were supposed to come out 2 days ago.....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:So...... these law review decisions were supposed to come out 2 days ago.....
Rising 3Ls have a ton to go through alongside their full time SA. And a few days here and there don’t make a difference. Rein in the anxiety. Lots of waiting coming up.

- Rising 2L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:05 pm

I understand they are busy, but I think the fact that we had to pay to be considered for a journal should mean that decisions come out when they said they would...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I understand they are busy, but I think the fact that we had to pay to be considered for a journal should mean that decisions come out when they said they would...
I hope you get on to LR and set an example next year with timely results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Well if you check the other years' forums, LR came out when it was supposed to. Nothing different about this year. I'll be sure to continue the tradition of timely results in the future :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Calls are out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Calls are out
Just got my call

Waiting for LR yo

New

Post by Waiting for LR yo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Calls are out
Just got my call
Me as well! Good luck all!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Is it alphabetically?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it alphabetically?
No. If you have no pre OCI offers you get the call first. If you, like yourself, have 3 V10 offers already, you will hear last. :mrgreen: :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Is it just Law review's calls or ILJ and JLPP are also starting to give calls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:31 pm

It's all of them. If you didn't get a call, you likely didn't get on a journal :?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it just Law review's calls or ILJ and JLPP are also starting to give calls?
Last year all three journals made calls on the same day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”