Vault 100 predictions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Vault 100 predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 am

Based on last year’s release date, looks like they should come out this week. Predictions for rankings? Big movers?

h2go

Bronze

Re: Vault 100 predictions

Post by h2go » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:22 am

Vault rankings have marginally helpful information at best.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am

this couldn't matter in the least

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 am

Like it or not, they matter. Same is true of USNWR rankings re “marginally helpful information.” Truth is, anyone who doesn’t think Vault rankings don’t matter is 1) lying to themselves, 2) upset about their Firm’s Vault ranking, and/or 3) maybe most importantly, forgets that Firms recruit type-A, prestigie-obsessed law students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Like it or not, they matter. Same is true of USNWR rankings re “marginally helpful information.” Truth is, anyone who doesn’t think Vault rankings don’t matter is 1) lying to themselves, 2) upset about their Firm’s Vault ranking, and/or 3) maybe most importantly, forgets that Firms recruit type-A, prestigie-obsessed law students.
I didn't say they don't "matter". I said it doesn't contain any helpful information. The fact that prestige-obsessed law students seem to care about some survey that a few juniors/midlevels happen to fill out on a slow day isn't something we need to continue to perpetuate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Like it or not, they matter. Same is true of USNWR rankings re “marginally helpful information.” Truth is, anyone who doesn’t think Vault rankings don’t matter is 1) lying to themselves, 2) upset about their Firm’s Vault ranking, and/or 3) maybe most importantly, forgets that Firms recruit type-A, prestigie-obsessed law students.
I think many don't consider them useful prestige rankings. Cold hard cash talks more, on average.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think many don't consider them useful prestige rankings. Cold hard cash talks more, on average.
Is this a suggestion that the most prestigious law firms are the ones that have the highest PPP or net profit? ...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:11 pm

I was going to make a joke about choosing Baker over Munger, but it would be disingenuous because I would never get close enough to a Munger offer to consider it.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Is everyone anonymous over useless things now?
To me this is worse than anything else happening on the site.

Vault rankings matter to people who need to say their firm is higher on the list because that’s how they get self esteem. It also serves to make strivers feel bad if their firm slips.

For anything else, it should have no impact on where you decide to work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:26 pm

If you are a guy working in biglaw, it only matters if you are so unattractive that you can't get laid without mentioning that you work at a V5 or V10 firm.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Why do people think that Paul Hastings is a good firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is this a suggestion that the most prestigious law firms are the ones that have the highest PPP or net profit? ...
Largely, yes, PPP is king. Net profits, not so much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The Vault regional rankings do show how the firms stack up in terms of prestige on the whole. At least the New York ones do.
PPP is very important but it's different from "prestige"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stillblade

New

Post by Stillblade » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 pm

This.

Everyone always says "Vault rankings mean nothing" every June, but people use designations like "V10" far more than anything else

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:24 pm

I'm unfamiliar with the process. When did associates fill out the survey? I'm wondering if it was before the salary raises or after?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:47 pm

Wild Card wrote:Why do people think that Paul Hastings is a good firm?
Wondering this as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wild Card wrote:Why do people think that Paul Hastings is a good firm?
Wondering this as well.
I think Wild Card was making a point that V rankings "matter" because it can make firms seem better than they are.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DCESQ

New

Post by DCESQ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm unfamiliar with the process. When did associates fill out the survey? I'm wondering if it was before the salary raises or after?
Months before. Like February/March.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:31 am

I disagree here. Firm prestige absolutely matters. It will determine what types of deals/cases you will work on, compensation, and potential exit options. However, vault is only a rough guide to firm prestige. Whether some junior associates in 2018 think Paul Hastings is more or less prestigious than Paul Weiss as compared to a slightly different pool in 2017 is completely meaningless. Perhaps over a period of many years, the vault guide can give you an idea of which firms are on the rise, but it is a trailing indicator. You can get just as good of a picture from simply looking at the AMLAW Revenue Per Lawyer numbers (which tend to be less easily gamed than PPP). I will admit that I occasionally make reference to vault if only as a useful shorthand to refer to a general class of firms.

USNWR is pretty much the same way. School prestige is vitally important to your career prospects. But the USNWR is only a rough guide, and movements from year-to-year are meaningless. Whether Harvard is ranked 1st, second, or third in USNWR means precisely nothing to students or employers.

Wacked Wombat

New

Post by Wacked Wombat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:35 am

If Vault rankings are aren't particularly useful/meaningful (I agree they aren't to a point), what in people's opinion is the best ranking at least for practice groups? Chambers and Partners bands? Others? Or is it just something that people just happen to know?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Wacked Wombat wrote:If Vault rankings are aren't particularly useful/meaningful (I agree they aren't to a point), what in people's opinion is the best ranking at least for practice groups? Chambers and Partners bands? Others? Or is it just something that people just happen to know?
We already have rankings/comparisons for practice groups.
Chambers and Partners bands (more accurate, because firms are viewed more in terms of tiers/bands than rankings in the eyes of clients)
Vault practice area rankings
For M&A, there are also M&A league tables

And the more you work in an area, the more you know which firms are the best in your area.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:15 pm

Are the rankings coming out tonight or tomorrow?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 am

new Vault 100 is out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:23 am

Latham is at 5 LOL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply