Mass Mailing Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing Question

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:04 am

Wondering if there is any difference in the way I should mass mail firms that are coming to OCI vs. firms that aren't. For firms that aren't, should I email the recruiter my cover letter, resume, transcript, and ask to set up a call to learn more about the firm? Or do I just send recruiting my information, and then try to contact an attorney to learn more/ask they pass my name along? For firms that will attend my school's OCI, should I just focus on connecting with attorneys to learn about the firm? I'm worried about appearing like I can't follow instructions by not applying through my school's OCI channel when that's how firms ask for applications on their posting.

For reference: Top third at T1 (Fordham/GW/BC/BU). Solid prelaw WE in law firms. I'm gathering that I'm in an ok position for OCI but will have to hustle.

Apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but appreciate the help

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Mass Mailing Question

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 am

1st- Top 1/3rd at those schools is nowhere near enough of a good position.

2nd- Stop listening to your career services office. They dont care about you. They care about themselves. There is no difference between firms coming or not coming to OCI. They are all targets to be networked with and mass mailed to. You need to do so immediately. All of the times. I can report my mentorees already have offers from firms. Others have reported as well.

People need to stop listening to career services. They have been behind the eight ball for years on pre-oci. Guess what? its happening and here to stay.

OP, network your face off and mail at the same time. Do not distinguish between oci and non-oci firms. You should have sent out 500+ apps already for all the major markets. You need to get going ASAP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:56 am

sparkytrainer wrote:1st- Top 1/3rd at those schools is nowhere near enough of a good position.

2nd- Stop listening to your career services office. They dont care about you. They care about themselves. There is no difference between firms coming or not coming to OCI. They are all targets to be networked with and mass mailed to. You need to do so immediately. All of the times. I can report my mentorees already have offers from firms. Others have reported as well.

People need to stop listening to career services. They have been behind the eight ball for years on pre-oci. Guess what? its happening and here to stay.

OP, network your face off and mail at the same time. Do not distinguish between oci and non-oci firms. You should have sent out 500+ apps already for all the major markets. You need to get going ASAP.
You need to pump the brakes man.

Yes, mass mailing is helpful. Especially for those at median. But the idea that 50% or more or offers go out pre-OCI (which you perpetuate) is just wrong. It's obviously helpful to mass mail, but you make it seem like its impossible to get to places without it. There are plenty of people at my school (a lower T-14) @ median who got DC, Chicago, and more. There are plenty I know from lower tier schools. Obviously its advantageous to mass mail. But not do-or-die.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:03 am

sparkytrainer wrote:1st- Top 1/3rd at those schools is nowhere near enough of a good position.

OP here:

Thank you for the insight, but your post reads like the sky is falling. I'm not trying to disagree or discredit you, just how I read it. I understand that I'm not a lock for OCI and it's time for me to start mass mailing - that's why I'm here looking for advice. My school does put ~top third in BL though.

Is what I described the right strategy to mass mail: Cover letter/resume/transcript to recruiting, then reach out to attorneys saying that I've applied and then ask to set up a conversation to learn more and pass my name along?

Point taken to treat all firms alike though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You need to pump the brakes man.

Yes, mass mailing is helpful. Especially for those at median. But the idea that 50% or more or offers go out pre-OCI (which you perpetuate) is just wrong. It's obviously helpful to mass mail, but you make it seem like its impossible to get to places without it. There are plenty of people at my school (a lower T-14) @ median who got DC, Chicago, and more. There are plenty I know from lower tier schools. Obviously its advantageous to mass mail. But not do-or-die.
"500+ apps already" lmfao

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”