How do people get offers before OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do people get offers before OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:16 pm

I go to a T14. We have a lottery/blind OCI. I'm in a big city this summer. There are receptions and other things. I've been to a few and emailed people on the side as well. I've had some informal meet-ups and whatnot, but nothing major.

But nothing really materialized from my actions other than being able to mention the people I met in future interviews.

Yet I constantly hear about people getting interviews before OCI (even for firms coming to OCI).

So are people just really smooth?
Are they getting coffee with a metric ton of people?
Are they mass mailing firms before OCI even though the firm is coming to OCI? Should I mass mail firms even though they're coming to OCI?

How does it all work? I am just a random dude who wants to make the most of my time in the city but not offend firms for the future.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to email people directly asking for a job or something? Is my GPA too low?

Can anyone tell me what they did to get a pre-OCI offer?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much!

cookiejar1

Silver

Re: How do people get offers before OCI?

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:51 pm

It’s because they have a top 10% GPA. Nothing to worry about.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:59 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:It’s because they have a top 10% GPA. Nothing to worry about.
This is a tragically wrong. I went to a t13. Wanted the most competitive city- DC, but was at median. Career services told me it was a waste even bidding there as even top 25% kids strike out all the time in DC. I hustled my face off, networked and mailed super hard. So did a few of my median friends. Guess what? We all got DC offers before OCI. We then proceeded to strike out in totality from OCI. If we waited, didn't network and mail and generally hustle our faces off, even though we went to a t13, we would have struck out.

So no, it is not just for top 10% kids.

To answer OP: it sounds like you are on the right path, you just are going at 20 mph instead of 100 mph. Make no mistake, Pre-oci is a thing and here to stay. Multiple firms I networked with and did OCI with dont even do OCI anymore because they fill their classes exclusively with pre-oci kids now. Multiple mentorees of mine already have callbacks in NY and DC from my t13, with absolutely 0 of them in the top 25% of the class.

You need to be networking harder and mailing other markets. Offers are going out already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:33 am

Does Pre-OCI happen in LA/SF/SV/Chi as well or is this still mostly a NY/DC thing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:49 am

Got most of my pre-OCI offers from SF/Silicon Valley and LA and only one from NY. Pre-OCI is doable in most markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:04 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:It’s because they have a top 10% GPA. Nothing to worry about.
This is a tragically wrong. I went to a t13. Wanted the most competitive city- DC, but was at median. Career services told me it was a waste even bidding there as even top 25% kids strike out all the time in DC. I hustled my face off, networked and mailed super hard. So did a few of my median friends. Guess what? We all got DC offers before OCI. We then proceeded to strike out in totality from OCI. If we waited, didn't network and mail and generally hustle our faces off, even though we went to a t13, we would have struck out.

So no, it is not just for top 10% kids.

To answer OP: it sounds like you are on the right path, you just are going at 20 mph instead of 100 mph. Make no mistake, Pre-oci is a thing and here to stay. Multiple firms I networked with and did OCI with dont even do OCI anymore because they fill their classes exclusively with pre-oci kids now. Multiple mentorees of mine already have callbacks in NY and DC from my t13, with absolutely 0 of them in the top 25% of the class.

You need to be networking harder and mailing other markets. Offers are going out already.
Top 1/3 CCN here. I'm networking hard in a secondary market, but have barely done any in NYC and have already sent out semi-targeted mailed apps to a lot of the V100 in NYC. Should I be networking in NYC as well? Or is it too late already?

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:54 am

This is totally anecdotal. Out of nowhere, I (and a few others at my LS) received unexpected invites to a V10 interview with paid travel and accommodations. This occurred before our grades had been officially released. Initially, I thought [wrongly] that the firm had a pipeline into the school and that my grades must have been sensational (turned out that they were just okay). I was strongly advised to declare that my lifelong dream was to work in NYC. I followed that guidance and the advice to write my resume on school letterhead. It worked. If you are invited, as a 1L to a V interview, be absolutely prepared. The incredible benefit is that you will not have to deal with the anxiety of OCI, mass mailing, etc. The ones who weren’t offered ended up interning with judges and later found themselves in a multitude of OCI lines.

To this day I do not know why some 1Ls were chosen and others were not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:00 am

I got several pre-OCI offers. I was top 5%, so grain of salt, but I really didn't do it through networking-- just emailing my transcript and resume to firms' recruiting departments and letting them know they were at the top of my list and I'd like to interview, meet people etc. A few firms just didn't respond or said they didn't do pre-OCI recruiting, but I got a couple interviews out of it. And even the ones who said no, it didn't seem to negatively affect my performance with them at OCI.

nnn64

New

Post by nnn64 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am

I'm a JDMBA at a T14/M7. I got coffee with an associate at a V25 early in the spring semester hoping to just get a feel for the firm and then got a callback invitation after submitting my first semester grades (probably top 1/3rd ish) but before spring exams had even started.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Toni V wrote:This is totally anecdotal. Out of nowhere, I (and a few others at my LS) received unexpected invites to a V10 interview with paid travel and accommodations. This occurred before our grades had been officially released. Initially, I thought [wrongly] that the firm had a pipeline into the school and that my grades must have been sensational (turned out that they were just okay). I was strongly advised to declare that my lifelong dream was to work in NYC. I followed that guidance and the advice to write my resume on school letterhead. It worked. If you are invited, as a 1L to a V interview, be absolutely prepared. The incredible benefit is that you will not have to deal with the anxiety of OCI, mass mailing, etc. The ones who weren’t offered ended up interning with judges and later found themselves in a multitude of OCI lines.

To this day I do not know why some 1Ls were chosen and others were not.
I thought most 1L positions with firms were diversity based? You don’t need to answer but it’s interesting if there is more 1L SA hiring by firms than I thought, that’s all.

I’m pretty sure this thread is talking about SA for
2L/rising 3L summer. Having any law experience as a 1L is going to help with pre OCI and OCI for connections and experience to talk about in interviews.

OP needs to amp up what they are doing and try to utilize all the opportunities available this summer, as others have said.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:28 pm

quote="Npret"

I thought most 1L positions with firms were diversity based?
Possibly, but news to me.

You don’t need to answer but it’s interesting if there is more 1L SA hiring by firms than I thought, that’s all.
IMO: 1L SA hiring is uncommon.

Having any law experience as a 1L is going to help with pre OCI and OCI for connections and experience to talk about in interviews.
I came in thinking that if it was a bust, at least the interviewing experience was good to have.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”