Fordham OCI 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Fordham OCI 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any median students with offers?
Slightly above median--->3 offers. got v lucky. not gunna say firms for fear of outing myself.
For prospective students, do you get the sense that the above outcome is an outlier, or distinct possibility from Fordham?
Prospective students aren’t allowed to post in this forum.

If you’re above median, you have a chance at Big Law. Fordham sends approximately 40% of it’s class to big Law. There are people above median that don’t want big Law, so being median or above gives you a shot.

The closer you are to median the harder it becomes, most likely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Slightly above median--->3 offers. got v lucky. not gunna say firms for fear of outing myself.
For prospective students, do you get the sense that the above outcome is an outlier, or distinct possibility from Fordham?
certainly an outlier. almost all my median/ just above median friends struck out. if you're hovering at median you have to either have to be incredibly interesting (you have only 20 minutes to charm screener interviewers to get your foot in the door), or incredibly attractive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
certainly an outlier. almost all my median/ just above median friends struck out. if you're hovering at median you have to either have to be incredibly interesting (you have only 20 minutes to charm screener interviewers to get your foot in the door), or incredibly attractive.
OP here, yes I would think I'm an outlier, but pretty much all of my friends were near the top of the class and got great jobs, so I can't say with any degree of certainty how much of an outlier I really am.

im not a URM, no real prior work experience. but my resume was pretty impressive nonetheless, my average af grades notwithstanding. did as well as one can when they're outside the top 1/3 (that is, not within grade cutoff to make LR). Interned at Fed. CoA during the summer and had a lot to talk about during interviews. I bid realistically and had 20+ screeners with 9 CBs. canceled 3 after got some offers, so can say I was at least 50% cb to offer. I don't know for sure, but I'd say I'm a decent interviewer in that I can hold a conversation for 20 mins and not appear autistic. but the high number of screeners (relative to my rank) indicates that I had something on paper others didn't, so not necessarily all about interviewing.

Im not going to be working at a v50, but I'll be making the same money. I consider myself very fortunate as I went into OCI thinking there was nothing for a median student. that being said, being around the median really sucked in terms of uncertainty/quality of firms realistically in reach and I feel like if I was in the top 33% I would have had a great chance at some v50-v20s.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here, yes I would think I'm an outlier, but pretty much all of my friends were near the top of the class and got great jobs, so I can't say with any degree of certainty how much of an outlier I really am.

im not a URM, no real prior work experience. but my resume was pretty impressive nonetheless, my average af grades notwithstanding. did as well as one can when they're outside the top 1/3 (that is, not within grade cutoff to make LR). Interned at Fed. CoA during the summer and had a lot to talk about during interviews. I bid realistically and had 20+ screeners with 9 CBs. canceled 3 after got some offers, so can say I was at least 50% cb to offer. I don't know for sure, but I'd say I'm a decent interviewer in that I can hold a conversation for 20 mins and not appear autistic. but the high number of screeners (relative to my rank) indicates that I had something on paper others didn't, so not necessarily all about interviewing.

Im not going to be working at a v50, but I'll be making the same money. I consider myself very fortunate as I went into OCI thinking there was nothing for a median student. that being said, being around the median really sucked in terms of uncertainty/quality of firms realistically in reach and I feel like if I was in the top 33% I would have had a great chance at some v50-v20s.
What a terribly pompous and insensitive reference. People with autism are at no fault for their social skills, and your comment makes fun of their condition. Surely there are other ways to get the point across that you can hold a conversation. Please apologize.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:05 pm

^Lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.3x, secondary journal, no prior we

I got 7, being my 1-5, 10, and 28. Definitely gonna try and hustle for more, but better than I expected
Similar stats, who did you rank where on your bid list and how did OCI go for you?

Fletch23

New

Post by Fletch23 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.3x, secondary journal, no prior we

I got 7, being my 1-5, 10, and 28. Definitely gonna try and hustle for more, but better than I expected
Similar stats, who did you rank where on your bid list and how did OCI go for you?
Not the above poster, but feel free to PM me and I can try and point you in the right direction.

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What a terribly pompous and insensitive reference. People with autism are at no fault for their social skills, and your comment makes fun of their condition. Surely there are other ways to get the point across that you can hold a conversation. Please apologize.
Although, as you point out, the poster could have got his (I’m assuming his gender - no apologies) point across in a different manner, and his reference was insensitive, and I wouldn’t be caught dead using “autistic” in such a colloquial manner, somehow you come across far worse by trying to derail this thread. Out of curiosity, are you autistic or do you have a close connection to someone who is autistic (e.g., a family member)?

Trains23

New

Post by Trains23 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:38 am

Median at Fordham also, looking for help with building a bid list. Very difficult to know where to bid realistically with the info CPC and Simplicity has.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:06 pm

Trains23 wrote:Median at Fordham also, looking for help with building a bid list. Very difficult to know where to bid realistically with the info CPC and Simplicity has.
If I remember correctly, the SBA should have sent out a list of firms and their typical Fordham GPA cutoff. Did they not do that this year?

Trains23

New

Post by Trains23 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:29 pm

They did and there was all of 7 firms on the list that looked at top half.

So people are saying if the firm lists top 1/3 then top half would be looked at. But the caveat is that some firms have soft/hard limits. The only way to tell is to read the tea leaves on the individual law firm site and see if they have large incoming classes etc.

Trains23

New

Post by Trains23 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks Fletch I am trying to PM you but my account is too young

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”