Median STEM at T1 school, do I have a chance at OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median STEM at T1 school, do I have a chance at OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:29 pm

Most of my 1L grades are in, and it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. It's looking like I'll be in the top 40-50% depending on a few details at Fordham/GW/BC/BU. I have a patent-bar eligible STEM background (not bio/cs/ee) and want to do IP Lit. Do I have a chance at biglaw still? I'm doing a few OCI's including Loyola, but my school sent out an excel sheet of 25%-75% GPA ranges for general OCI screeners, and I'm below the 25% for all the big names.

I was stupid and only applied to 1 IP firm for Loyola, which I now regret because they tend to be more lenient on grades.

One more question - I've made several good contacts at a firm which I probably would not otherwise have the grades for and applied via Loyola. Can this help me get a screener even if I don't have the grades? Or is this only helpful once I get the screener?

Thanks.

Npret

Gold

Re: Median STEM at T1 school, do I have a chance at OCI?

Post by Npret » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Most of my 1L grades are in, and it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. It's looking like I'll be in the top 40-50% depending on a few details at Fordham/GW/BC/BU. I have a patent-bar eligible STEM background (not bio/cs/ee) and want to do IP Lit. Do I have a chance at biglaw still? I'm doing a few OCI's including Loyola, but my school sent out an excel sheet of 25%-75% GPA ranges for general OCI screeners, and I'm below the 25% for all the big names.

I was stupid and only applied to 1 IP firm for Loyola, which I now regret because they tend to be more lenient on grades.

One more question - I've made several good contacts at a firm which I probably would not otherwise have the grades for and applied via Loyola. Can this help me get a screener even if I don't have the grades? Or is this only helpful once I get the screener?

Thanks.
Are you mass mailing? You don’t have a job so you need to hustle as much as you can.
I’m not sure how Loyola works, but contacts should be helpful anywhere, though they can’t guarantee you a job.

Anonymous User

Re: Median STEM at T1 school, do I have a chance at OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:40 am

Well I'm still waiting for some grades (I've done some calculations and know about where I will end up), so I don't want to send out any mass mails before I have a final GPA. But I was told by a career advisor at school that, at least for the firm where I have contacts: they know who I am, I'm applying via several OCI programs (Loyola and the various on and off-campus ones), and if they find me attractive they'll have ample opportunities to interview me, so don't over-do it.

To be clear, my "contacts" aren't family friends or anything like that, they're just attorney's I've reached out to, had coffee with, and met/had a good rapport with on a few occasions after that. They might not help me find a job, but at least I can convincingly talk about what makes that that firm stand out to me.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”