Leaving new (great) job too early Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving new (great) job too early

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 pm

I’ve been a lawyer for two years. Right out of law school I did a Fed government honors program and recently started at a new government job. This new job is extremely coveted (think OLC/OLP/NSD). I’ve been at the new job for 3 months. Recently got an offer from USAO in my wife’s hometown where her family lives. It’s a great area and I could see my parents moving there too. My wife and I would likely start having kids and saving up for a house. However it’s a hard decision given I’m in a highly prestigious position and trading that for a run of the mill USAO seems crazy to most. I’m afraid if I don’t become an AUSA now, I may be too many years out and too high salaried to get a job here in a year or two. Not to mention this position only opened up because of AG’s openings. It would be incredibly expensive to move there (very far) and I just started a great new job.

Please don’t quote.

What would you do in my position?

worklifewhat

New

Re: Leaving new (great) job too early

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 pm

If the AUSA position is where you want to end up and it’s a job you could imagine yourself taking in a year or two (it sounds like it is) then get rid of the noise in your head about the prestige of your current job. It was such a hars mental switch for me to make but there is so more to life than what my resume says—my spouse, my kids, and the life that I’m building is what it’s all about. So, whatever role allows me to do that to the BEST of my ability is the role for me. I don’t know what your priorities are but i think the real question is where do you want to be 2, 3, 4+ years from now and would that be hindered by taking the AUSA position?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”