Would you leave if your firm didn't raise salaries? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
worklifewhat

New

Would you leave if your firm didn't raise salaries?

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Just curious...would you actually consider leaving your firm if it elected not to raise salaries/pay summer bonuses? And by "actually consider" I mean put forth an effort to make a lateral move either to a market-paying firm or to a non biglaw position that you had been considering but putting off (e.g. government job, non-profit, etc.). If so, what year are you and what kind of move would you make?

Anonymous User

Re: Would you leave if your firm didn't raise salaries?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 pm

i would have (former 4th year here)

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i would have (former 4th year here)
What are you up to now and why did you leave?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:40 pm

worklifewhat wrote:
public interest. didn't like the lifestyle or ethos of big law. was able to get to a place financially where i was able to leave. if i hadn't, though, i definitely would have lateraled to a place that paid "market." they make way too much off us to nickel and dime when someone moves.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Absolutely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
worklifewhat wrote:
public interest. didn't like the lifestyle or ethos of big law. was able to get to a place financially where i was able to leave. if i hadn't, though, i definitely would have lateraled to a place that paid "market." they make way too much off us to nickel and dime when someone moves.
How is your life different outside of big law? Is your schedule more manageable? The cause more fulfilling? Tell me the ways that your life has improved! I'll live vicariously through you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:58 pm

i would've left if it hadn't made the 160-180 move. doubt it will make the 190 move. 180-190 just doesn't seem to have the same oomph and it seems like less of the V100 is going to move this time.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i would've left if it hadn't made the 160-180 move. doubt it will make the 190 move. 180-190 just doesn't seem to have the same oomph and it seems like less of the V100 is going to move this time.
Well, it's not just 180-->190...there's also the summer bonus and, of course, the raises and bonuses are more generous as you increase seniority.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 pm

My firm (Skadden) is not giving me a bonus because I haven't met the productive hours requirement and it's definitely tipping me towards leaving. I was already thinking about it because I'd been short on hours, now it feels like they're trying to push me out.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm (Skadden) is not giving me a bonus because I haven't met the productive hours requirement and it's definitely tipping me towards leaving. I was already thinking about it because I'd been short on hours, now it feels like they're trying to push me out.
I can definitely see why you'd feel this way but try not to take it personally. My firm didn't give me a bonus when I was shy a week's worth of hours and I felt equally disgruntled and was ready to leave but ultimately stayed. I'm currently looking for a better position but I don't think they were being malicious in choosing not to give me a bonus. I like to think they were just being stingy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:54 pm

I’d probably stick around and cruise on low hours as the other rats try to scurry off ship.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”