Working Out and Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yankees12345!

New

Working Out and Big Law

Post by yankees12345! » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:59 am

How successful have folks been at maintaining a regular workout schedule (say, four times a week) while working Big Law? What type of schedule has worked for you? Any other tips?

UpandDown97

Bronze

Re: Working Out and Big Law

Post by UpandDown97 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am

yankees12345! wrote:How successful have folks been at maintaining a regular workout schedule (say, four times a week) while working Big Law? What type of schedule has worked for you? Any other tips?
An important topic to me. I've heard of people working out in the mornings, during the day during down times, and at night if they have a gym in their building.

It seems that for the mornings/during the day, it depends on your firm/personal schedule. Some people have to get to the office early, so its not possible. Others have a difficult time straying from their desk during the day in case a partner calls.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:21 am

Personally, I work out in the morning because I can pretty well trust that nothing is going to blow up at 5 or 6 AM. I've had a lot more success with this than working out in the evenings (I actually prefer working out before dinner, but things blow up in the evening often enough that this isn't a viable option).

If I were to work out during the day, I'd try to pick a time where I typically have downtime, would go everyday (to train the people I work with not to expect things from me at said time), and would have my office phone ring through to my cell.

rodmanhust

New

Post by rodmanhust » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:27 am

No time for workouts at all...

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:42 am

Depends on the firm. DPW, Skadden, etc have laptop stations by their machines/racks so you can bill while you workout.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:22 pm

It's entirely possible but for whatever reason, stress and hopelessness maybe I don't know, people are far more likely to gain weight in biglaw.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:43 pm

yankees12345! wrote:How successful have folks been at maintaining a regular workout schedule (say, four times a week) while working Big Law? What type of schedule has worked for you? Any other tips?
I workout 6-7x a week. We have a small gym in our building, so I get to the office before 7am, workout, shower, and I'm working again before 9am. On the weekends I just workout like I did pre-biglaw.

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:03 pm

I was a fitness freak back in the day, but am not a morning person and often work late evenings, so I found I stopped having time to workout except on the weekends, which made me miserable. I ended up booking a personal trainer for a very very intense HIIT workout, twice a week early mornings - the workout is fast (30 min), then I shower and drive to work. It has helped me stay on top of my workout. Weekends I go for runs / hit the gym same as before. Also make sure to stay away from the office donuts and bring healthy snacks (fruits + veggies) - I'm in fantastic shape.

Hopefullitassociate

New

Post by Hopefullitassociate » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:20 pm

I have a gym open late near my office, and unless I have something due specifically at that moment, I'll leave the office around 8:30 9 to work out and then head home and log on to do more work if needed. It eats up my weeknights, but allows me to have a regular gym schedule and I figured I wouldn't have many free weeknights in biglaw anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:25 pm

I think it's completely possible if you're comfortable with swapping that hour of tv, reading, etc., for the gym. Some people can't do that; hence, why they don't workout.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 pm

I honestly don't know anyone who is truly too busy to workout regularly. Will there be periods where your workouts might go out the window in favor of sleep? Probably. But this is definitely not the norm. MOST people have the time if working out is a priority; you just might have to cut the time from somewhere else. If you usually go out for lunch, then maybe eating at your desk is a better alternative so that you can use that time to catch up on the work that you're not doing while working out. A shorter shower, a simpler getting ready routine in the morning, waking up a bit earlier...these are all ways to save a bit of time that you can use toward a workout. I used to workout for wayyyy too long in law school and I don't do that very often anymore but I can always make the time for a 30 minute HIIT session.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 pm

worklifewhat wrote:I honestly don't know anyone who is truly too busy to workout regularly. Will there be periods where your workouts might go out the window in favor of sleep? Probably. But this is definitely not the norm. MOST people have the time if working out is a priority; you just might have to cut the time from somewhere else. If you usually go out for lunch, then maybe eating at your desk is a better alternative so that you can use that time to catch up on the work that you're not doing while working out. A shorter shower, a simpler getting ready routine in the morning, waking up a bit earlier...these are all ways to save a bit of time that you can use toward a workout. I used to workout for wayyyy too long in law school and I don't do that very often anymore but I can always make the time for a 30 minute HIIT session.
Agree with all of this.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Our firm has a very nice gym. I often see associates working out. So there is time to workout. Of course, having a gym at the firm does make it convenient.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:18 pm

I spent my first 1.5-2 years of biglaw working out pretty consistently. The last 0.5-1 year I have found it very difficult to do so regularly at all. My firm/market/practice has been very busy. When you start regularly hitting 200+ hour months it can get difficult. I think most of the time the hours over 200 start coming out of gym time. At least for me, because gym time is taking a hit before sleep.

hlss09

New

Post by hlss09 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm

To add to this, how do you guys in biglaw eat to stay in shape? I think that's like 98% of the battle. Just curious what works for others :)
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vianco

New

Post by Vianco » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Haven't gone to law school yet, but my father worked in big law and worked out every day. He would get up at 4:30am on the weekdays and work out in our gym in the basement or go for a bike ride. On the weekends he would still work out, but it didn't have to be so early in the morning. He maintained this routine for more than 10 years, so it's doable.

Having a gym at the firm sounds really nice. We lived in the suburbs and I do recall him saying that he didn't have enough time to work out at a gym on the way to work (he drove).

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:38 pm

For this reason I moved into a luxury apartment building with a gym so that I can go straight to the gym, run and lift for a bit, then go upstairs to my apartment, clean up, and pass out in a dreamless sleep for a grind the next day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To add to this, how do you guys in biglaw eat to stay in shape? I think that's like 98% of the battle. Just curious what works for others :)
Meal prep for lunch is helpful. Firm cafeteria food is often less healthy and harder to portion. I also try to eat small meals throughout the day. Finally, don't feel like you need to use your entire Seamless budget. Getting a 3 course dinner when you literally sit in a chair all day is a sure way to gain weight, and I see associates do it all the time.

ckb614

New

Post by ckb614 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:15 am

Just because these things should matter to lawyers:

"workout" is a not a verb
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just because these things should matter to lawyers:

Noted. What a great service you’ve done to the legal profession.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:35 am

I’ve been on this forum a long time and this is one of the funniest posts I’ve ever read.
Thanks for that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Npret wrote:

I’ve been on this forum a long time and this is one of the funniest posts I’ve ever read.
Thanks for that.
I just noticed it was anonymous. Hahahahaha.

paradiselost9

New

Post by paradiselost9 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:02 pm

His username is SomewhatLearnedHand. If you keep teaching him things, he’ll have to alt.

melloyello

New

Post by melloyello » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:50 pm

It really comes down to priorities and hours. I find that at the "normal" 170 hour/month range, I can definitely make time to work out regularly, have dinner with the fam, spend time with my kid, etc., but once I go over 200/month, working out goes out the window. Family > sleep > working out, hygiene, me-time, anything else. I'll sacrifice sleep to spend a few hours with my kid in the evening, but then would not be able to wake up early to work out on top of that.

There are also the ridiculous folks who are able to train for triathlons while in big law - my observation is that either they are single or without kids, or have a stay at home spouse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:27 pm

I am a junior M&A associate in NYC biglaw. I used to lift weights very regularly before I started working.

In conclusion, you simply cannot get bigger than how you used to look before you started working. It is only possible to maintain your fitness level by making the most out of your quiet periods in between big deals. Maintenance is also very tough however.

When you are staffed on a big M&A deal, you have absolutely no time to go to the gym for some weeks. Even when you do have some time, because you are super sleep-deprived, you simply cannot lift and if you do lift, you are likely to injure yourself. Muscle growth is a function of how much you lift, eat and sleep. All three with roughly equal importance. No matter how much you lift in that one quiet day, if you cannot get enough sleep during that week, you will not grow and you will just feel terribly exhausted for the next few days. So no gym during those weeks.

When you are not staffed on a big M&A deal, you can train very hard and you can potentially get back to the fitness level you were at before your big deal. But you have no control over how long this quiet period will be. It can be as short as a week or as long as a month.

On the whole, this work is very unhealthy and you inevitably compromise your health and looks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”