Elite Litigation Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Elite Litigation Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PPP isn't the relevant metric. Elite boutiques like W&C (because yes, it is elite) have lower PPP because they aren't heavily leveraged.

Example: Paul, Weiss might have a very high PPP but when leverage is like 6 associates to 1 partner, increasing every $10k increase is a $60k hit to a partner. At an elite boutique where there the ratio is 1:1, a $10k increase is only a $10k hit to the partner.

Also, Boies probably has more unprestigious resumes (UCLA, GW, arguably Berkeley) than prestigious ones (HYSCCN). This is not true with elite boutiques like Susman, KVN, MTO, which are truly selective.
I’m so not following the PPP bit. If Paul Weiss partners take a $60k hit for raising associates’ salaries by $10k wouldn’t their PPP be more greatly affected by raises than the elite boutiques?
Yes, that's the point the other poster is making. Even though W&C has a lower PPP, he is suggesting they will be less affected by a raise, so if PW can raise, W&C certainly can. (not my words, just explaining to you)
not sure "unprestigious" is the correct word choice there
What is obviously missing here is what city we're discussing. In NYC, for example, W&C, KVN, MTO, and Bartlitt Beck don't have NY offices. Susman does, and has to be the toughest boutique offer with only 14 associates, all with unreal feeder (or SCOTUS clerk) resumes. Boies NY has to be second. There are only 30 NY associates, most with HYSCCN CoA/D.C. clerkship resumes. Boies has some weird office locations though (Ft. Lauderdale, Vegas, & Hollywood, FL), which might by why above poster says Boies gathers some middling UCLA/GW ppl.
If you want to talk about this, please do it here.

Anonymous User

Re: Elite Litigation Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Kirkland just matched.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:44 pm

I’d throw MoLo and Holwell Shuster into this bunch

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I’d throw MoLo and Holwell Shuster into this bunch
And Wilkinson Walsh

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Also, Boies probably has more unprestigious resumes (UCLA, GW, arguably Berkeley) than prestigious ones (HYSCCN). This is not true with elite boutiques like Susman, KVN, MTO, which are truly selective.
Huh? Go look at the number of Berkeley grads on the KVN* and Munger websites.

*(Unsurprisingly, I am a Boalt grad. I also turned down an offer at KVN and work at a peer boutique)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:06 am

Susman has plenty of “unprestigious” resumes—UT, University of Houston, University of Washington, “arguably” Duke, by that person’s standard. (Also guessing that poster didn’t go to HYS—otherwise why include CCN while taking a shot at a T10 school lol.)

In any event, while it may not have been that poster’s point, whether one went to a T6 (to borrow an arbitrary cutoff) is a poor proxy for success as a trial lawyer, or even as a litigator. Yes, David Boies went to Yale. Bill Carmody, perhaps Susman’s most successful active trial lawyer, got his JD from the University of Tulsa. Steve Susman went to Texas. Something to bear in mind when taking about “elite” firms. (Source: clearly embittered MVP grad)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”