What are my chances? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What are my chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:47 pm

I need some honest advice about what are my chances at 3L OCI for big law.

Final year evening student at T30 in NYC. GPA: 3.1. Editorial board member of a secondary journal.Blog contributor for the same journal.
Education: Ph.D. in genetics (GPA 3.75. 4.0 GPA in undergrad and masters)
Work experience: In-house patent agent for a reputed company for last six years. Significant experience in patent transactional work and trademarks. Also, run the search group supporting 30+ attorney in the company. Currently on leave from full-time job and working as a summer associate in reputed IP boutique firm to gain some IP prosecution and litigation experience. I'll reprise my role as a patent agent in the company at the end of the internship. Worked as an extern with a federal judge after my first year of law school. Volunteer on a regular basis for an employer-sponsored "attorney for a day" program at an NY supreme court to help clients in foreclosure matters.

I'm thinking of applying for 3L OCI and see if I can land in a big law job. However, I'm a bit worried about my GPA.

Also, how should I let my current firm know that I want to take part in OCI again?

Anonymous User

Re: What are my chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 am

If you feel like you have a strong shot at converting your current summer position into a full-time gig, then it may not be necessary. Anecdotally, students at my NYC T40 who outperform their numbers at OCI (at and below median) tend to be those with relevant pre-law school work experience, or members of the evening program who are working through. No one can tell you what your odds may be, but no harm in trying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you feel like you have a strong shot at converting your current summer position into a full-time gig, then it may not be necessary. Anecdotally, students at my NYC T40 who outperform their numbers at OCI (at and below median) tend to be those with relevant pre-law school work experience or members of the evening program who are working through. No one can tell you what your odds may be, but no harm in trying.
I'm not sure of my chances here yet as I'm only two weeks in this job. However, for last five years, the firm has given offers to all SAs. Also, I have submitted two memos already. So maybe, they will make an offer.

However, they pay around 150k which won't be a significant raise from my current salary. Currently, I make around 120K with about 15% bonus. For next year my salary will likely be around 140K range because for last two years my salary increase was in the range of 15-20%. So taking this offer will feel like I have finished law school for nothing.

So, I'm hoping to take part in OCI and try to get another offer at big law at least to negotiate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you feel like you have a strong shot at converting your current summer position into a full-time gig, then it may not be necessary. Anecdotally, students at my NYC T40 who outperform their numbers at OCI (at and below median) tend to be those with relevant pre-law school work experience or members of the evening program who are working through. No one can tell you what your odds may be, but no harm in trying.
I'm not sure of my chances here yet as I'm only two weeks in this job. However, for last five years, the firm has given offers to all SAs. Also, I have submitted two memos already. So maybe, they will make an offer.

However, they pay around 150k which won't be a significant raise from my current salary. Currently, I make around 120K with about 15% bonus. For next year my salary will likely be around 140K range because for last two years my salary increase was in the range of 15-20%. So taking this offer will feel like I have finished law school for nothing.

So, I'm hoping to take part in OCI and try to get another offer at big law at least to negotiate.
Absolutely, well best of luck with the summer firm and 3L OCI. At the very least, it sounds like you'll have a good option no matter the outcome.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just curious as to why you decided on law school given how well your current job pays. This isn't a criticism, I'm genuinely curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:41 pm

worklifewhat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just curious as to why you decided on law school given how well your current job pays. This isn't a criticism, I'm genuinely curious.
This is a typical salary of any patent agent in a law firm or in-house. Actually, compared my law firm counterparts, my salary is a bit low. I know a patent agent at a NYC law firm (a current law student) was making 150k+. Anyway, if I did not get the law degree I would probably be stuck in the same salary range or a little more whereas prosecuting attorneys in-house for similar work make double the money. Also, for any patent agent, the employer expects them to go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”