Pre-OCI 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do NY firms fly out CA people for pre-OCI CBs?
Do you mean Canada? I don't understand the question if you just mean California.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Apologies. I meant, would a NY firm fly out a candidate who is working in California this summer for pre-OCI? I go to school in NYC, so will be be doing OCI in NYC, but am working in CA this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 am

As someone in a similar situation (NY law school in CA for summer), I can confirm New York law firms will fly you out for pre OCI call backs. I just made clear on my resume that I was in California for the summer so they were aware when I applied.

basketofbread

New

Post by basketofbread » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Top 5% at NY t2, just started mailing today. How fucked am I?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A firm told me in June they'd interview me before OCI in July. I provided my schedule.

I haven't yet gotten an interview scheduled. HR rep said they'd get back "soon." Does it just take a while to schedule? Normal?
Was this a V15 firm? I may be in the same boat.
Yes.

Sounds normal, then. I suppose firms hoard resumes and interviewees, then release all at once in July. I do think July 9 and onward should be busy post-holiday.
Any news from this firm? I was also waiting for them to schedule an interview to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Has anyone heard from Morgan Lewis DC?

It sounds like some other offices had a quick turnaround - is that expected/normal for all offices of ML?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm

basketofbread wrote:Top 5% at NY t2, just started mailing today. How fucked am I?
I mean you'll get offers from your OCI so not a big deal. Weird time to be starting the mass mailing though as firms will know your bidding is starting / done already so most people mass mailing right now will probably be prefacing their emails with "didn't get you at OCI" ...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
basketofbread wrote:Top 5% at NY t2, just started mailing today. How fucked am I?
I mean you'll get offers from your OCI so not a big deal. Weird time to be starting the mass mailing though as firms will know your bidding is starting / done already so most people mass mailing right now will probably be prefacing their emails with "didn't get you at OCI" ...
Not the poster above, just commenting, but I think you are looking at this too narrowly. I doubt the above poster will only be mass mailing to firms attending their OCI. I am assuming s/he is talking about sending apps to firms in other markets and those not attending OCI, in which case it is not a weird time at all to start mass mailing. I know it can be hard on TLS, but it can be helpful to keep in mind that recruiting processes can vary quite a bit once you get out of the T-14.

To the above poster:

Generally don't think it's a huge deal to be starting mass-mailing now. Obviously, earlier would have been better and there will be a fair firms that have wrapped up their pre-OCI activity, but it seems like everything starts to ramp up right around this time of the summer so I don't think you should completely lose all hope, especially for employers not attending your OCI.

basketofbread

New

Post by basketofbread » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not the poster above, just commenting, but I think you are looking at this too narrowly. I doubt the above poster will only be mass mailing to firms attending their OCI. I am assuming s/he is talking about sending apps to firms in other markets and those not attending OCI, in which case it is not a weird time at all to start mass mailing. I know it can be hard on TLS, but it can be helpful to keep in mind that recruiting processes can vary quite a bit once you get out of the T-14.

To the above poster:

Generally don't think it's a huge deal to be starting mass-mailing now. Obviously, earlier would have been better and there will be a fair firms that have wrapped up their pre-OCI activity, but it seems like everything starts to ramp up right around this time of the summer so I don't think you should completely lose all hope, especially for employers not attending your OCI.
You're on the money. Plenty of firms not coming to our OCI. However, I was also planning to mail the firms I just didn't have enough bids for. Is that something you'll anticipate I'll have to address?
Thanks for the reply in the first place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:17 pm

basketofbread wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

To the above poster:

You're on the money. Plenty of firms not coming to our OCI. However, I was also planning to mail the firms I just didn't have enough bids for. Is that something you'll anticipate I'll have to address?
Thanks for the reply in the first place.
Yes, you will have to address that. This is what the first response was getting at, and they were more or less right. It puts you in an awkward position because if you had been genuinely interested in the firm then, from the firms POV, you should have bid on them during OCI. However, they understand the nature of limited bidding, so if you are able to articulate your interest and explain your situation then you might still have a chance. At the end of the day, it can't hurt to still apply. I don't see why a firm would close themselves off to qualified candidates just because of OCI bidding quotas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Orrick NY CB...not really "pre-oci" because they want to schedule it for after my school's EIW, but still movement so thought I would report.

Top 15% T1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:41 pm

1L SA. very very likely to be offered and would accept.

top 12% ish at a T20. market doesn't come to OCI. do i need to mass mail as a backup?

BOSStongrl

New

Post by BOSStongrl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Willkie NY has sent out interview invites.
Just catching up on this thread. Just curious what type of invites these are (screener or cb), and when they're scheduled for. And did you get the invite from mm?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 pm

BOSStongrl wrote:
Just catching up on this thread. Just curious what type of invites these are (screener or cb), and when they're scheduled for. And did you get the invite from mm?

I have a callback with Willkie scheduled for this month (before my school's early interview week). I did not do a screener. I got the invite from having a networking contact forward my resume to Willkie's recruiting team.

BOSStongrl

New

Post by BOSStongrl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:

I have a callback with Willkie scheduled for this month (before my school's early interview week). I did not do a screener. I got the invite from having a networking contact forward my resume to Willkie's recruiting team.
Thanks! I got a callback in a similar way- but I can't schedule the interview until a few days before EIW due to prior plans, and was worried a ton of other people were starting their callbacks before that. So I was also just trying to gage exactly how many other people have callbacks pre-oci at Willkie (basically i'm just hoping competition is low)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:25 pm

BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:

Thanks! I got a callback in a similar way- but I can't schedule the interview until a few days before EIW due to prior plans, and was worried a ton of other people were starting their callbacks before that. So I was also just trying to gage exactly how many other people have callbacks pre-oci at Willkie (basically i'm just hoping competition is low)
I scheduled my callback with them last week and the first available date was July 23. Not sure if it’s befause they are full with interviews before then or if it’s because they’re getting started closer to OCI beginning. I imagine it’s the former. Either way, having a callback at this stage is great, congrats!

BOSStongrl

New

Post by BOSStongrl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:

I scheduled my callback with them last week and the first available date was July 23. Not sure if it’s befause they are full with interviews before then or if it’s because they’re getting started closer to OCI beginning. I imagine it’s the former. Either way, having a callback at this stage is great, congrats!
Ah thank you! this info is great and congrats to you too! But they were originally trying to schedule my cb this week but later said that the hiring partners aren't available this week (out of the office), so that may be why. So still holding on to hope that not many people have cb's at Willkie.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 pm

BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:

Ah thank you! this info is great and congrats to you too! But they were originally trying to schedule my cb this week but later said that the hiring partners aren't available this week (out of the office), so that may be why. So still holding on to hope that not many people have cb's at Willkie.
How long did it take from having your networking contact forward your resume to hearing about the callback? I recently had a partner forward my resume to recruiting (at a different firm) and I am just trying to get a gauge of what my timeline is to hear back. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:

How long did it take from having your networking contact forward your resume to hearing about the callback? I recently had a partner forward my resume to recruiting (at a different firm) and I am just trying to get a gauge of what my timeline is to hear back. Thanks in advance!
It took an hour for Willkie’s recruiting team to reach out to me after having my resume forwarded. It took day or so for another firm (V20), and three days or so for a third firm.

Sharpy

New

Post by Sharpy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:Willkie NY has sent out interview invites.

It took an hour for Willkie’s recruiting team to reach out to me after having my resume forwarded. It took day or so for another firm (V20), and three days or so for a third firm.[/quote]

Damn, I was not expecting for it to be that quick. It's been a little over a week for me, so I'm thinking a likely ding :/

Thank you so much for your response though, and congratulations on the callback. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Orrick NY CB...not really "pre-oci" because they want to schedule it for after my school's EIW, but still movement so thought I would report.

Top 15% T1
Do you mind sharing when you applied?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Orrick NY CB...not really "pre-oci" because they want to schedule it for after my school's EIW, but still movement so thought I would report.

Top 15% T1
Do you mind sharing when you applied?
Last Thursday.

BOSStongrl

New

Post by BOSStongrl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:

I actually met with the partner, and he told me at the end that our meeting was a screener, and that I had a call back. I heard from recruitment the next day. I'm sure all firms are different though so don't give up just yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A firm told me in June they'd interview me before OCI in July. I provided my schedule.

I haven't yet gotten an interview scheduled. HR rep said they'd get back "soon." Does it just take a while to schedule? Normal?
Was this a V15 firm? I may be in the same boat.
Yes.

Sounds normal, then. I suppose firms hoard resumes and interviewees, then release all at once in July. I do think July 9 and onward should be busy post-holiday.
Any news from this firm? I was also waiting for them to schedule an interview to.
Yes, just scheduled recently.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 am

Had a screener with Latham DC yesterday - anyone has a general idea of when I might hear back from them. Thx

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”